SELF

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: SELF

Post by Dontaskme »

Advocate wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:26 pm
That's an imaginary distinction.
The Self experiencing itself is also an imaginary distinction.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Dontaskme post_id=503760 time=1616506330 user_id=12017]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503759 time=1616506016 user_id=15238]

That's an imaginary distinction.
[/quote]

The Self experiencing itself is also an imaginary distinction.
[/quote]

Your experience IS your self. That's my entire point. You also have a physical aspect but it is meaningless without experience filling it. We call that "corpse".
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Advocate wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:37 pm

Your experience IS your self.
No it's not, there is only the experience.

The knowledge that there is an 'I' that experiences itself is an illusion.

The experiencer is inseparable from the experience in the instant as you have already pointed out. Therefore, any experience has to be one unitary action. The Self is not aware of Self, it is only aware of experience. Experiences that are known to come and go.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Dontaskme post_id=503763 time=1616506918 user_id=12017]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503762 time=1616506623 user_id=15238]

Your experience IS your self.
[/quote]

No it's not, there is only the experience.

The knowledge that there is an 'I' that experiences itself is an illusion.

The experiencer is inseparable from the experience in the instant as you have already pointed out. Therefore, any experience has to be one unitary action. The Self is not aware of Self, it is only aware of experience. Experiences that are known to come and go.
[/quote]

An temporally designated part of experience can also be called experience, but it also means a temporally designated part of self.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Advocate wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:01 pm
An temporally designated part of experience can also be called experience, but it also means a temporally designated part of self.
No, there is no temporal Self or part of Self. The very idea is an experience of thought.

In each present experience you were only aware of that experience. You were never aware of being aware. You were never able to separate the thinker from the thought, the knower from the known. All you ever found was a new thought, a new experience.

The Self in and of itself is not an experience, it cannot experience it's own presence or absence because it doesn't have ONE...IT IS ONE.
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

Self is the vessel of All and thus hidden in it.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

waechter418 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:52 pm Self is the vessel of All and thus hidden in it.
I’m on that boat, but this is taking it too far. The tree that falls in the woods without my knowing bloody well does. And might affect me later in life. Or not. Self is rather the vessel of one’s own experiences and the brains chewing of those experiences. Then there’s the outside world too,
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

waechter418 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:35 pm There are various interpretations of Self; for example: there is the Self of Ego, the Self called Soul, the Hindu Atman and a universal Self.
Whatever the theories – Self is the core and in a certain way the coordinate of every human being.
Possibly due to the difficulties of defining Self, the relationship with its beholder gets sometimes stressed – even so far, that latter doubts the presence of prior.
But Self is vital, as it knows the true nature and needs of its beholder and thus becomes particular important when turmoil and confusion threaten its physical & mental wellbeing.
There are many unification teachings, but most of them focus on a higher instead on a common Self, despite that we are selfish creatures and thus foremost interested in our own troubles, and who is more qualified to handle them but Self.
its a matter of priorities. just how important is your life seeing you can't keep your life. odds are within 50 years after you're gone no one will remember you existed at all. the things that made you angry won't matter and will be dismissed five seconds after you're gone. the very very few might be remembered, but the rest of us who live the average life will be forgotten.

so what of self, other than to glean experiences that please. and again how important that is to a person, controls their very soul.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:41 pmThe knowledge that there is an 'I' that experiences itself is an illusion.
An illusion for whom? Who's having the illusion? I don't see how anyone other than me is under the illusion that they are me.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:41 pm The knowledge that there is an 'I' that experiences itself is an illusion.
What, exactly, is suffering from the, "illusion?"
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

waechter418 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:59 pm Proposition:
All our deeds, emotions, thoughts, creeds – and whatever else we are trying to relate ourselves with – are expression of ConsciousNess which thus exercises its possibilities in order to realize itSelf.
I would guess most people live their entire life without ever giving a moments thought to, "trying to, "realize themselves."

This is one of those silly philosophical question idiots have tried to make into some kind of esoteric mystery. What everyone means by their, "self," (except when they are pretending to be philosophers) is the conscious individual referring to himself as "himself."

When you go to the doctor's office, and they call your name, the one you think they are calling is, "yourself."
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

waechter418 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:01 pm ... the feedback-mechanism of the intellect ...
Is that something you made up, or did you learn it from some philosopher or psychologist who made it up. There is no such thing.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:57 pm We are embodied beings and as such, our self is a perspective - a "core" experience that integrates all our perspective-based sensory information. The exterior/material world is proven by our senses being OF something, not arbitrary or internally circular. The words self, consciousness, perspective, awareness, being, existence, are aspects of the same thing - our individual place in space and time, with our individual set of filters and understandings incorporated. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =622235762
Ninety-nine percent of humanity knows perfect well what they mean by their, "self," without have any of those obtuse mental gymnastics cluttering up their minds. You do too, or perhaps you've forgotten.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:53 pm Self is individuation. As an embodied being you have a particular perspective that is not shared by any other mind. Perspective, self, ego, consciousness, awareness, are all variations on the same theme.
That's better. It's just an individual, period.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dimebag wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:10 pm Self is an identity structure, built up over the course of the lifetime.
When the teacher asks the little boy, "did you do this work yourself," and he answers, "I did it all myself," he knows exactly what he means and it is all self ever means. It doesn't take a lifetime to know what one means by, "self."

Why do everyone want to make this so complicated?