The Whole Story

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: The Whole Story

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:20 pm He still didn't look up in the dictionary what "philosophy" means.
What does the word 'philosophy' mean, to you?

Or, which dictionary and which definition EXACTLY are you referring to here?

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:25 pm
Advocate wrote:
Grant me that its possible to solve philosophy
And also why does philosophy actually need solving ?
What does 'philosophy' mean, to you?
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:25 pm Why can not it just carry on being studied like it always has ?
What is there in 'philosophy' EXACTLY to be 'studied'?
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:25 pm Love of wisdom seems a rather strange thing to want to solve
AND a rather strange thing to be 'studied'.

Either one has the love-of-wisdom or the love-of-becoming wiser, or they do not.

I CERTAINLY DO NOT see ANY thing to be 'solved' NOR 'studied' in 'philosophy'.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

A wrote:
What does philosophy mean to you ?

What is there in philosophy EXACTLY to be studied ?
Philosophy to me is the love of wisdom through the eternal study of subjects that do not necessarily have definitive answers to them
Subjects such as Metaphysics - Ethics - Consciousness - Existence - and subjects comparitively more rigorous such as Logic - Language
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

A wrote:
FULL knowledge ALREADY EXISTS

But most people do NOT look past ones own perspective of things

OF COURSE full knowledge is possible to be known by one person
But just as OBVIOUS is FULL knowledge is ALL knowledge that is known or has been known up to any particular point along the evolutionary line
To me full knowledge is the totality of ALL knowledge that will ever be known by intelligent beings
So I do not use the description to mean only the totality of knowledge at any one time in existence

Unless I had read your post it would not have automatically occurred to me that full knowledge could mean something else
And this is why explanation and clarification are very important factors when it comes to communication on forums like this
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

>But far more importantly, you don't get to claim to have "solved" philosophy for as long as even a single philosopher rejects your solution. It's how philosophical job security works - it's by design.

That's another impossible criteria, right on up there with originality.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

>I CERTAINLY DO NOT see ANY thing to be 'solved' NOR 'studied' in 'philosophy'.

"Every deep and meaningful question" is certainly Philosophy, yes? We know epistemology and metaphysics are philosophy for certain, and that's what this story addresses particularly. How to have a good life is a contingent question that must be answered only by individuals but it can be organised and put into perspective.
Last edited by Advocate on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:28 pm >But far more importantly, you don't get to claim to have "solved" philosophy for as long as even a single philosopher rejects your solution. It's how philosophical job security works - it's by design.

Obviously. Philosophy is intended to be a Kobayashi Maru.

It's by design. Philosophers know this. The joke's on you.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm "Every deep and meaningful question" is certainly Philosophy, yes?
According to you, is this a "deep and meaningful question": What is Philosophy?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 pm
Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:28 pm >But far more importantly, you don't get to claim to have "solved" philosophy for as long as even a single philosopher rejects your solution. It's how philosophical job security works - it's by design.

Obviously. Philosophy is intended to be a Kobayashi Maru.

It's by design. Philosophers know this. The joke's on you.
That's kinda why philosophy goes nowhere and gets disrespected for navel gazing. If answers aren't possible, as so many philosopers claim, why are they wanting everyone's time?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:44 pm That's kinda why philosophy goes nowhere and gets disrespected for navel gazing. If answers aren't possible, as so many philosopers claim, why are they wanting everyone's time?
No fucking idea.

But we live in a world where you value free speech, so you must let philosophers speak freely, no?

That doesn't mean you have to listen to them.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:39 pm
Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm "Every deep and meaningful question" is certainly Philosophy, yes?
According to you, is this a "deep and meaningful question": What is Philosophy?
Google either and i'll accept all of the top ten results, just as a start. I've looked up lists of "unresolvable" questions repeatedly and all the answers are here, no exceptions.

Ditto for what philosophy is, but like everything else, the distinction between what is (epistemology and metaphysics) and what to do about it (aesthetics, ethics, politics) is critical. I answer the first completely and directly and the latter by putting the parts in perspective relative to each other.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

All this meta-talk is interesting and perhaps necessary in some sense but would anyone like to address the Content?

Can you find a philosophical question it does not fully answer (address)? in a logical and coherent manner?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:48 pm Google either and i'll accept all of the top ten results, just as a start. I've looked up lists of "unresolvable" questions repeatedly and all the answers are here, no exceptions.
I know how to use Google. There's a reason why I am asking you the question.
Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:48 pm Ditto for what philosophy is, but like everything else, the distinction between what is (epistemology and metaphysics) and what to do about it (aesthetics, ethics, politics) is critical. I answer the first completely and directly and the latter by putting the parts in perspective relative to each other.
I am a much simpler person. If you don't want to do anything about "it" - then it doesn't matter what "it" is.

Distinction only matters if you want change stuff. The is-ought distinction is the first one you draw when you don't like the way the world is.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Advocate wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:48 pm metaphysics ... completely and directly
Give us the correct (or most correct) interpretation of QM. :)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Philosophy is important for helping us to examine our lives so we can live better.

Philosophical methods of thinking can be learned and they help to solve problems.

Learning the work of great philosophers can help us to understand the history of ideas which in turn helps us to understand the direction we are going in.