What is an Atheist?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: What is an Atheist?

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:16 am
popeye1945 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 pmAn atheist is the counterpoint of the believer...
Ya got that right.
popeye1945 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 pm...both guilty of the same logical fallacy of pretending to know what cannot be known.
Ah well, you don't have to know to believe. Or not believe.
Well, we can all be certain that one can never be certain that there is NOT a God.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Atto,

To believe, to be sure, without evidence is irrational. To state certainty without the ability to know is a logical fallacy. The only proper position is a statement of mystery-------- I don't know!!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

popeye1945 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 am Atto,

To believe, to be sure, without evidence is irrational. To state certainty without the ability to know is a logical fallacy. The only proper position is a statement of mystery-------- I don't know!!!
Poppy, without evidence U will never know.

To know God exists simply requires having faith, and then God giving U the individual evidence, that it exists. (my case)

To know God does NOT exist, requires knowing EVERYTHING about the universe, and possibly multiverse, should other 'verses' exist.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Faith is simply a license not to think. Faith is nothing!!
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 am
uwot wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:16 amAh well, you don't have to know to believe. Or not believe.
Well, we can all be certain that one can never be certain that there is NOT a God.
That is true.
uwot

Post by uwot »

popeye1945 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 amFaith is simply a license not to think. Faith is nothing!!
Say what you like about the likes of Mr Can ('He's a blithering halfwit' is my preferred option) yer can't say he hasn't thought about it. Or at least snake oil salesmen like Alvin Plantinga, Michael Behe, William Lane Craig whose bollocks Mr Can is tickled by have thought about it. Thing is, they started from a position of faith, and then thought about how to justify it.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Unsucessfully! Define it for yourself, it is non-sense. Would you like to swing on a star, carry moonbeams home is a jar, and be better off than you are, or would you rather be rational?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

:mrgreen:
popeye1945 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:23 am Unsucessfully! Define it for yourself, it is non-sense. Would you like to swing on a star, carry moonbeams home is a jar, and be better off than you are, or would you rather be rational?

Faith is simply a license not to think. Faith is nothing!!
Well then, let's see if you dare to? Rather than puffing yourself up on the side of any rational debate, without considering BOTH sides, you could at least address the below, and then we shall see where we go:

Poppy, without evidence U will never know.

To know God exists simply requires having faith, and then God giving U the individual evidence, that it exists. (my case)

To know God does NOT exist, requires knowing EVERYTHING about the universe, and possibly multiverse, should other 'verses' exist.
Last edited by attofishpi on Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

TheVisionofEr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 pm One who does not believe in the Good. The Good is a speculative notion derived on the basis of the empirical observation of the better.
I think you have a couple of spelling mistakes here.
You have added an "o" to a concept changing its meaning.

I am not a doog lover, but I love dogs.

God is a speculative nothing based on a failing to answer key questions about the universe.
Good is that which pleases us, Bad is that which does not.
Your post is bad. It does not please me since it has mistakes of thinking in it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:39 am
TheVisionofEr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 pm... the fuel injection systems of the modern automobiles is superior to the mere corroborator-run engines of the last century. ...
Where can I get one of those, "corroborator-run engine," cars. Are they like collaborator-run engines?
You can get one of those from the Court-show room. I think Judge Judy has a line in them
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I note how popeye1945 has been dredging up old threads that he feels easy to attack (on the theist side)
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

TheVisionofEr wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:14 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 am
TheVisionofEr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 pm One who does not believe in the Good.
Did not expect any one to be so rhetorical to the extreme in wanting to change the normative definition, in this case, the generally accepted definition of 'atheist'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Worst still the 'Good' is with a capital "G", i.e. as in Plato's illusion of the Good.
I'm unpersuaded that anything you write is in good faith or serious.
"Unpresuaded", shit! Who unpersuaded you? Did they also not understand basic English?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

TheVisionofEr wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 am delete, duplicate
You mean the whole thread!!! :lol:
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

In my opinion there are two different basic types of atheism.

There is the atheism of those who do not believe in the existence of the entity God.

And there is instead the atheism of those who know that the entity God cannot exist (he does not believe, he knows), but also does not believe that the Good is.

Two equally different believers correspond to these two different atheisms.

That is, the believer in the entity God. And the believer in the Good.

The first believing / atheist couple, who believe / do not believe in the entity God, is still a naive thought.
A game for children, who still do not have full awareness of themselves.
God is meant as something that can be useful for oneself.
The believer's love of God is often self-serving.
A utility that the non-believer refuses.

Conversely, whether or not to believe in the Good has other implications.
Because it is no longer a question of utility.

The believer loves God (the Good) only because God.
While the atheist realizes that this love is an illusion.

This is authentic atheism, also called mystical atheism.

I think mystical atheism is a necessary step.
Because authentic faith is faith in Nothingness. God = Good = Nothing

In fact, faith must be extinguished in Being.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

There U go Poppy - some fodder above.