The Law of Identity

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Logik

Re: The Law of Identity

Post by Logik »

Speakpigeon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm You have really no idea what you're talking about.
Dunning-Kruger has you in a pickle.
Speakpigeon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm Waffle ++
Why waste your time waffling++?!
Yeah, you need attention.
You're an attention-seeker freak.
EB
I've put knowledge on a silver platter for you and you still expect me to spoon-feed you!
I have given you references, examples and tools to convince yourself of that which I say.

Not only can you not feed yourself, all you seem to know how to do is to fling poop at those who are trying to help you. Perhaps you are not so evolved after all?

One thing is becoming pertinently obvious to me. There is just no way to please an ignoramus.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Logik wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:12 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:01 pm
Logik wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:38 pm
Maybe you should have this discussion with Scott Aronson.

I am not wasting any more time on you. I have dinner to cook and wine to drink

https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=710
Actually you are just owned, strictly because you cannot argue against a system that "you cannot create". Go back to eating and drinking...something which existed prior to programming.
Strawman. Nobody is talking about programming.

False, all axioms are connected to other axioms. The nature of a human, as your premise states in other threads, as a computer necessitates

Lambda calculus/Turing machines are the foundation of thought.

False; this is assumed. It may equally be argued, empirically, that thought existed prior and turing machines/lambda calculus are projections of thought just by the time line of their empirical history alone.

Did eating and drinking exist before thought?

What is eating and drinking but the separation of one material, food/water, and the connection to another, the body? This separation and connection is the same grounding nature of thought. Space is mind. Mind is all.

You are simply mixing up thought (computation) with the expression of thought (programming).

False, computation and programming are both axioms that exist through a circularity as one defines the other.
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 pm This thread is motivated by a dispute about the Law of Identity in the Logic & Philosophy of mathematics forum. However, this thread is about the Law of Identity. It isn't a thread about logic itself. So, please, remember we don't care about logic per se here.
Some more context...
The Law of Identity has been assumed as an axiom of logic since Aristotle some 2,400 years ago, but a few people apparently choose to deny the Law of Identity. This is their constitutional right, of course, but some of them, possibly all of them even, may not really understand much what the Law of Identity means.
So, here is your chance to articulate eloquently what you think the Law of Identity really means for all of us.
I'm not interested in quirky theories about something that would not be the Law of Identity. I'm interested in what you think the Law of Identity means to most people, even those who have never thought about it, and including what it meant to people like Aristotle who are long dead now.
Still, whatever can be found in encyclopedias about the subject is open to debate and we can perhaps improve our understanding of it by sharing our most intimate intuitions about the Law of Identity.
So, please, don't ramble. Keep to the point and leave the question of the logic of it to the other forum.
Thanks.
EB
I accept of course that the rational consideration of empirical evidence to draw reliable conclusions requires that we not change the designations of things without specifying that we do. For example, I can talk meaningfully of digging some amount of ore to extract the iron from it to use it to make rods to be used as construction material for buildings. Here, I just moved from one designation, "ore", to another, completely different one, "buildings". Yet, we can all understand that only a part of the ore has been used to make up only a part of possibly different buildings. So, where would be the "identity" of the original ore when I am now talking only of buildings?!

So, I don't buy the interpretation of the Law of Identity as being a rule to constrain our descriptions so that we could have rational conversations. We certainly have rules, syntactic, grammatical, lexical rules to do that job and so we don't need any additional "Law".
Please also note that the term itself, "law", doesn't suggest at all anything like a linguistic constraint. The proper term in this case would be "rule", not "law".
And the Law of Identity is a fundamental axiom of standard logic, not a linguistic rule.
Also note that, in any logical formal language, say, anything mathematical, including computer languages, where the coherence of the designations we use is critical, we may start with two distinct designations of values, e.g. A and B, and end up deducing that A = B, meaning A and B are identical values. If the Law of Identity applied here, A would A and then B would be B and the twain shall never meet. Yet, they do: A = B.
We can also choose to assume for example that A = B in order to prove that, in fact, A is not at all equal to B. If the Law of Identity referred to identities as designations, such as "A" and "B", then assuming A = B would preclude ever deducing A not equal to B, since the Law of Identify is indeed fundamental in logic.
Think also of the designation of variables: x, y, z etc. What could possibly be their identity? They have a designation: x is x. So, per the Law of Identity, if it applied, x couldn't possibly ever get to be equal to 2! Yet, if we now posit or even deduce that x = 2, we're saying exactly that.
EB
Logik

Post by Logik »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:51 pm False; this is assumed. It may equally be argued, empirically, that thought existed prior and turing machines/lambda calculus are projections of thought just by the time line of their empirical history alone.
This is beyond silly.

Of course you can argue that Turing machines are the product and projection of thought. But that's just a truism!

All language (the very tool with which you are expressing your argument) is also a projection of thought.
All knowledge is a projection of thought.
All theories.
All culture.
All civilization.

So then, you could ask "What is the origin of thought?"
And I would ask "What is the origin of the language you are asking this question in?"

So, I think we can agree (unless you insist on being contrarian still) that thought is the origin of metaphysics.

Which immediately raises ontological questions ABOUT thought.
How does thought work?
What does thought do?

Thinking about thinking is metacognition. It is NOT a loop. It's recursion.

Recursion is computation, and so if you cared to reinvent the wheel you are likely to end up with Lambda calculus/computer science all over again.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Logik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:53 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:51 pm False; this is assumed. It may equally be argued, empirically, that thought existed prior and turing machines/lambda calculus are projections of thought just by the time line of their empirical history alone.
This is beyond silly.

Of course you can argue that Turing machines are the product and projection of thought. But that's just a truism!

All language (the very tool with which you are expressing your argument) is also a projection of thought.
All theories.
All culture.
All civilization.

Then don't argue we are all computers.

And I would ask "What is the origin of the language you are asking this question in?"

False question because if all is thought thought is origin. The question is relative to time. Language is symbolic in nature; hence the most universal symbol as the origin of language is the simple dot.

So, I think we can agree (unless you insist on being contrarian still) that thought is the origin of metaphysics.

How does thought work?
What does thought do?

It is looping the same variable through infinite variations...it is a loop.

Recursion is computation, and so if you cared to reinvent the wheel you are likely to end up with Lambda calculus/computer science all over again.

Not really, lamda calculus/computer science is just a reinention of the wheel by creating multiple smaller wheels.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:17 am Then don't argue we are all computers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_philosophy
Digital philosophy is a modern re-interpretation of Gottfried Leibniz's monist metaphysics, one that replaces Leibniz's monads with aspects of the theory of cellular automata.....

Thus computation is the single substance of a monist metaphysics, while subjectivity arises from computational universality. There are many variants of digital philosophy; however, most of them are Digital data theories that view all of physical realities and cognitive science and so on, in framework of information theory.
Wait a minute. Isn't monads/prime triad what YOU are arguing about all along? Aren't you the one who accused me of repeating the process?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:14 am You repeat a process of diverenge and call it individualism not knowing you are repeating the same pattern the majority of the world repeats...
Monism.

Awkward!
roydop

Post by roydop »

Logik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:53 am
This is beyond silly.

All theories.
All culture.
All civilization.

How does thought work?
What does thought do?

Thought is an infinite self referring positive feedback loop.

The only conclusion to thought is to simply stop thinking.
If one sits and watches from whence thought and sensations arise, this is the path to conclusion.
Logik

Post by Logik »

roydop wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 pm Thought is an infinite self referring positive feedback loop.
It needs not be infinite. A recursive search function terminates when it finds what it's looking for.

roydop wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 pm The only conclusion to thought is to simply stop thinking.
If one sits and watches from whence thought and sensations arise, this is the path to conclusion.
Nay. Passive observation is not a conclusion. It's delusion. It is from the vantage point where you can see thoughts and sensation arising where one has attained metacognition.

It is from that vantage point where I claim my internal locus of control.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Logik wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:20 am
roydop wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 pm Thought is an infinite self referring positive feedback loop.
It needs not be infinite. A recursive search function terminates when it finds what it's looking for.

roydop wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 pm The only conclusion to thought is to simply stop thinking.
Nay. Passive observation is not a conclusion. It's delusion. It is from the vantage point where you can see thoughts and sensation arising where one has attained metacognition.

It is from that vantage point where I claim my internal locus of control.
Thought itself is delusion.

Thinking about thinking? Are you joking? The only way to investigate thought is from thought free Awareness. If thought is validating thought... this is exactly the process through which delusion/insanity arises. Indeed this is the path that the human species has gone.

One will not understand this until one can abide effortlessly in/as thought free Awareness. The peace and contentment of such state is exactly completion.

"I've" been through all this. The labyrinth of mind must be transcended to see through the illusion it creates.
henry quirk

"The only way to investigate thought is from thought free Awareness."

Post by henry quirk »

Then the gravel in my drive must be a ultra, turbo-injected, fission-powered zen friggin' master: it just sits there, does nuthin', thinks nuthin', and it's been doin' that (nuthin') for years.

That there gravel is 'wise'.
henry quirk

atomic zen

Post by henry quirk »

:boom:
roydop

Re: "The only way to investigate thought is from thought free Awareness."

Post by roydop »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:23 pm Then the gravel in my drive must be a ultra, turbo-injected, fission-powered zen friggin' master: it just sits there, does nuthin', thinks nuthin', and it's been doin' that (nuthin') for years.

That there gravel is 'wise'.
What is being referred to is the transcenence of thought. Consciousness that has not yet taken the evolutionary step beyond the internal monologue will choose a lower form of self Awareness as it's frame of reference.
henry quirk

yeah, none of that means anything, Roy

Post by henry quirk »

:frowning:
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Fortunately, we don't need to understand thought to think.
Though, thinking may get you to think thought is something else than thought.
Funny, that.
I would have thought we all know thought for what it is, exactly.
And try as I may, I don't see anything but thought that would be thought.
But no.
Know thyself.
EB

PS
Asking what is thought is like asking what is reality. Or even asking what is the question. LOL.
If you don't know though, don't worry, you're just not thinking.
The question is not the nature of thought. Rather, given thought, what could be nature.
nothing

Post by nothing »

Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 pm This thread is motivated by a dispute about the Law of Identity in the Logic & Philosophy of mathematics forum. However, this thread is about the Law of Identity. It isn't a thread about logic itself. So, please, remember we don't care about logic per se here.
Some more context...
The Law of Identity has been assumed as an axiom of logic since Aristotle some 2,400 years ago, but a few people apparently choose to deny the Law of Identity. This is their constitutional right, of course, but some of them, possibly all of them even, may not really understand much what the Law of Identity means.
So, here is your chance to articulate eloquently what you think the Law of Identity really means for all of us.
I'm not interested in quirky theories about something that would not be the Law of Identity. I'm interested in what you think the Law of Identity means to most people, even those who have never thought about it, and including what it meant to people like Aristotle who are long dead now.
Still, whatever can be found in encyclopedias about the subject is open to debate and we can perhaps improve our understanding of it by sharing our most intimate intuitions about the Law of Identity.
So, please, don't ramble. Keep to the point and leave the question of the logic of it to the other forum.
Thanks.
EB
The Law of Identity really means: the pinnacle of the ignorance of man.

It's difficult to discuss given you've essentially barred such discussion, so I will be short.

A = A (?)
Everything is constantly (in) motion.
Observation (of A) has intrinsic limitation
viz. the observer's own limited perspective.
A must be able to move.
√1 = +1, -1
√A = +A, -A
A ≠ A (incomplete)
A = *A

Aristotle ignorantly did not factor into A the potential for limitation(s)
relating to the limited perception(s) of the observer(s) of A concerning motion.

To illustrate: point upward (above eye-level) and repeatedly draw a small clock-wise circle(s).
Look up and confirm you are drawing left-to-right.
Close your eyes and drop your hand below eye level while continuing to draw the same circle(s).
Open your eyes, look down and note the direction.
Did the motion change? No.
Did the "direction" change? Yes.
What changed? Perception.

What was left-to-right is now right-to-left.
This is why A must have a basic variability: (+)/(-).

Left-to-right?
Right-to-left?
Or both?

This correction to A effectively negates temporal causality (ie. time is valid in both directions)
such to bridge physical and metaphysical
and would over-ride the dark-ages-inducing assumptive logic of Aristotle (along with all derived therefrom).