How do we experience time?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: How do we experience time?

Post by bahman »

PeteJ wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm We do not experience time. This is explained by the physicist/philosopher Hermann Weyl in his books 'The Continuum' and 'Open World'.

He distinguishes between time as we treat it in maths and physics, which he calls 'mathematical' time, which is a fiction. and time as we actually know it, which he calls ''intuitive' time, which is also not experienced but constructed out of anticipations and memories.
The existence of the gravitational wave proves that physical time is real. I can experience the time, so-called psychological time, when I focus on nothing.
PeteJ

Re: How do we experience time?

Post by PeteJ »

bahman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 pm
PeteJ wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm We do not experience time. This is explained by the physicist/philosopher Hermann Weyl in his books 'The Continuum' and 'Open World'.

He distinguishes between time as we treat it in maths and physics, which he calls 'mathematical' time, which is a fiction. and time as we actually know it, which he calls ''intuitive' time, which is also not experienced but constructed out of anticipations and memories.
The existence of the gravitational wave proves that physical time is real. I can experience the time, so-called psychological time, when I focus on nothing.
I think you'll find that this is not the case, But I'll leave you to argue with Weyl.