Dilemma of beginning of time

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Logik

Re: Dilemma of beginning of time

Post by Logik »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51 pm Over 99 per cent of the Universe is totally incompatible for human existence
We are effectively prisoners on this tiny floating rock in the middle of space
You can safely add quite a few 9's after a decimal point and you'll still be correct.
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Logik wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:43 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:41 pm Doesn't change the fact that our brain works very well. Even the fact that the universe would be entirely random wouldn't possibly prevent the existence of us human beings as we are, complete with our wits and survival skills. So, what's the metaphysical difficulty already?
Complexity is the difficulty! The very fucking thing you just pointed out.

Our brains and bodies are adapted to surviving Earth's biosphere, not The Universe.
Er, yeah, and? You know, it's our brain that's complex. Our brain. I would worry if it was the brain of some of our predators.
Logik wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:43 pm As soon as you step out into zero gravity a bunch of brain circuitry gets confused.
Yeah, life is precarious. That's life for you. Many people die without even so much as getting out of bed. Are you discovering all this? Are you anguished? Humanity and life on Earth will definitely both end at some point. I'm sure you're planning to live on forever, so good luck to you.
EB
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51 pm Over 99 per cent of the Universe is totally incompatible for human existence
We are effectively prisoners on this tiny floating rock in the middle of space
There's a book called "The beginning of infinity".
People like you are supposed to have gone extinct. How come you're still here?
Well, somebody else must have done something...
EB
Logik

Post by Logik »

Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm Er, yeah, and? You know, it's our brain that's complex. Our brain. I would worry if it was the brain of some of our predators.
In proportion to the universe - it really isn't all that complex.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm Yeah, life is precarious. That's life for you.
Well, it sure is far less precarious today than it was 2000 years ago.

Human life expectancy sure is on an upward trend... I wonder why.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm Many people die without even so much as getting out of bed. Are you discovering all this? Are you anguished?
Anguished? No :) That's what drives me.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm Humanity and life on Earth will definitely both end at some point. I'm sure you're planning to live on forever, so good luck to you.
Probably. If we let fools like you do our thinking for us.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm I'm sure you're planning to live on forever, so good luck to you.
Me? No :) Humanity - hopefully.

Then again - who knows. Miracles happen. Eternal life might just be in my lifetime.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Logic wrote:
Eternal life might just be in my lifetime
Is it actually possible for entropy to be reversed or at least slowed down
For would this not require infinite energy which is physically impossible
Logik

Post by Logik »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 pm Is it actually possible for entropy to be reversed or at least slowed down
Jury's out on this. If human life expectancy improvements are anything to go by - yes. Is there an upper limit to how far we can take it? Don't know.

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 pm For would this not require infinite energy which is physically impossible
Not really. You only need infinite energy if you want to reverse ALL of time in the entire universe.

To reverse entropy within a finite-size object like a human body requires .... finite energy. But I imagine there are far easier ways to extend life than to screw around with particle physics.

Bioengineering, bionics etc.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Logic wrote:
But I imagine there are far easier ways to extend life than to screw around with particle physics
Regular exercise / healthy diet / moderate drinking / no smoking / meditation
And possibly in the future cryogenics or other methods of suspended animation
Atla

Post by Atla »

Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm OK, so I tak it you're downgrading your initial claim that the idea of an infinite past is logical impossible to it being merely nonsensical to a lot of people. Right. I knew that. Whatever the idea, you will always find a lot of people to support it.
Nope
Well, at least philosophers explain themselves. You don't beyond asserting people you disagree with are not very bright or confused or ideologically influenced.
Trying to explain myself to you turned out to be pointless several times now.
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Logik wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:56 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm Er, yeah, and? You know, it's our brain that's complex. Our brain. I would worry if it was the brain of some of our predators.
Like what? Can you give an example of something we know exists that's more complex than a human brain?
EB
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Atla wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:18 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm OK, so I tak it you're downgrading your initial claim that the idea of an infinite past is logical impossible to it being merely nonsensical to a lot of people. Right. I knew that. Whatever the idea, you will always find a lot of people to support it.
Nope
Whoa. Thanks for not wasting my time with useless explanations.
Well, at least philosophers explain themselves. You don't beyond asserting people you disagree with are not very bright or confused or ideologically influenced.
Trying to explain myself to you turned out to be pointless several times now.[/quote]
I actually don't remember the last you explained anything...
EB
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 am Regular exercise / healthy diet / moderate drinking / no smoking / meditation
And possibly in the future cryogenics or other methods of suspended animation
Are you worth it?
EB
Logik

Post by Logik »

Speakpigeon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:50 pm
Like what? Can you give an example of something we know exists that's more complex than a human brain?
EB
You rally can't use your own imagination to come up with something?

There are so many trivial examples
bahman

Post by bahman »

Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:15 pm
Reach? What does it mean in this context?
For example: It took two days to reach from a point to another point".
???
Sorry, you're not making sense.
It may take me two days to reach a point in space from another point in space.
But how would it be relevant to say that one needs two days to reach Wednesday from Monday?
If that's what you mean, I still don't see where would be the problem. It took two thousand years from the Roman emperor Augustus 1st to today. If the past has been infinite, it has nonetheless taken a finite time to get from any point in the past to today. So, where is the problem?
Even with notions of an infinite past a bit more creative, with a beginning for example, it would have taken an infinitely long time to get from the beginning to now. So what? Where would be the problem? You still haven't said.
The problem is that it takes infinite amount of time to reach from eternal past to now. Infinity cannot be reached.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:15 pm And what's the "rate" you're talking about? A rate is a quantity measured with respect to another measured quantity. So, what's the rate of passing one hour? And rate relative to what?
By rate I mean degree of progress or change.
Same thing. Any notion of rate of change would have to be relative to something else. What?
Time, if it exists at all, isn't at all something that's changing. The only thing we have empirical evidence that it is changing is the world and it is changing relative to itself. We're different from what we were. But there is no empirical evidence that time itself, again if it exists at all, is changing.
So, maybe you have a point but you would need to articulate what you mean because for now what you say doesn't make sense.
EB
That is now which doesn't change. Now however exists in different moment of time. This however needs a change, what we call change in time.
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

bahman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:43 pm The problem is that it takes infinite amount of time to reach from eternal past to now. Infinity cannot be reached.
???
Why is there any need to "reach from an eternal past to now"? And why would that be a problem?
If the past has been infinite then each moment is preceded by another moment, which explain what happens at each moment by what happened the moment before. How is that a problem?
EB
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Logik wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:27 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:50 pm
EB
You rally can't use your own imagination to come up with something?

There are so many trivial examples
I'm asking for known facts not imaginary ones.
You don't have any fact.
Here is a fact:
Behold the Most Complicated Object in the Known Universe
Dr. Michio Kaku tackles the most fascinating and complex object in the known universe: the human brain. For the first time in history, the secrets of the living brain are being revealed through high-tech brain scans devised by physicists. In The Future of the Mind, Kaku looks at the astonishing research being done in top laboratories around the world—all based on the latest advancements in neuroscience and physics.
https://www.wnyc.org/story/michio-kaku- ... man-brain/

EB