Mind and physical

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Mind and physical

Post by bahman »

I think that some of you read my argument for existence of mind which I will repeat it in here. But before that I would like to mention the basic purpose of this thread which is two things: (1) Mind is separate from physical and (2) Mind is primary and physical is secondary (its existence depends on mind). But first the argument which I promised which I call it (the proof of mind from motion): Consider a change in a system, X to Y. X and Y cannot coexist therefore X has to vanishes before Y is caused. Y however cannot be caused from nothing (remember that X is vanished so we have nothing). Therefore there must be a mind which experiences X and causes Y. It is clear now that (1) and (2) are correct.
Impenitent

Re: Mind and physical

Post by Impenitent »

Once again, if mind was separate from physical, lobotomies wouldn't work.

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 pm Once again, if mind was separate from physical, lobotomies wouldn't work.

-Imp
You cannot make a motion in physical without mind. Try to imagine it and let me know.
Logik

Post by Logik »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 pm You cannot make a motion in physical without mind. Try to imagine it and let me know.
These guys disagree: https://www.bostondynamics.com/robots
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

bahman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 pm I think that some of you read my argument for existence of mind which I will repeat it in here. But before that I would like to mention the basic purpose of this thread which is two things:
(1) Mind is separate from physical and
(2) Mind is primary and physical is secondary (its existence depends on mind).

But first the argument which I promised which I call it (the proof of mind from motion): Consider a change in a system, X to Y.
X and Y cannot coexist therefore X has to vanishes before Y is caused.
Y however cannot be caused from nothing (remember that X is vanished so we have nothing).
Therefore there must be a mind which experiences X and causes Y.
It is clear now that (1) and (2) are correct.
Originally is Whereof one cannot speak
  • Wittgenstein
    Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
Mind is an emergent spontaneously with Whereof one cannot speak.
Mind emerges with a hierarchy of a continuum of levels.
What is "physical" [defined within Physics] is a sub-emergent of the mind.

Both the mind and Whereof one cannot speak are self-referential where each contain the other as in the Tao symbol where Yang contain Yin inherently and Yin also contain Yang, note below, the white has an inherent black dot and vice-versa;

Note David Bohr relied on the complementarity principles of the Tao to resolve the dilemmas of duality arising from Quantum Physics. This is why the symbol of the Tao is included in his Coat of Arms as below.

Your approach is a crude narrow minded idea of duality which contributed to your unsound and unholistic inferences leading to infinite regression and potential sufferings, i.e. duality of happiness and inevitable sadness, black or white, 0 or 1, us versus them, good and evil, etc.

The mind and the physical co-exists and for whatever is beyond that it is a transcendental idea where one has to remain silent. If one is itchy for something more [illusory] then the solution is to deal with the associated psychology [existential crisis] that trigger that "itchiness" for the illusory.

This "itchiness" has malignant potentials in the long run and thus should be weaned off psychologically so that the living being can maintain optimal well being as individual and for the collective.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

bahman wrote:
Consider a change in a system X to Y . X and Y cannot coexist therefore X has to vanish before Y is caused . Y however cannot be caused
from nothing ( remember that X is vanished so we have nothing ) Therefore there must be a mind which experiences X and causes Y
Quantum fluctuations come from absolute nothing because vacuum states can only exist for an infinitesimal period
And at the classical level the law of cause and effect applies and so no mind is required for transition in either case
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 am
bahman wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 pm You cannot make a motion in physical without mind. Try to imagine it and let me know.
These guys disagree: https://www.bostondynamics.com/robots
Mind is involved in any motion unless you show that something is wrong with my argument.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am
bahman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 pm I think that some of you read my argument for existence of mind which I will repeat it in here. But before that I would like to mention the basic purpose of this thread which is two things:

But first the argument which I promised which I call it (the proof of mind from motion): Consider a change in a system, X to Y.
Y however cannot be caused from nothing (remember that X is vanished so we have nothing).
  • Wittgenstein
Mind cannot be emergent. Something which is emergent cannot experience, decide and cause.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am Both the mind and Whereof one cannot speak are self-referential where each contain the other as in the Tao symbol where Yang contain Yin inherently and Yin also contain Yang, note below, the white has an inherent black dot and vice-versa;

Note David Bohr relied on the complementarity principles of the Tao to resolve the dilemmas of duality arising from Quantum Physics. This is why the symbol of the Tao is included in his Coat of Arms as below.

Your model of reality is incomplete if there is a whereof that you can not speak.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am Your approach is a crude narrow minded idea of duality which contributed to your unsound and unholistic inferences leading to infinite regression and potential sufferings, i.e. duality of happiness and inevitable sadness, black or white, 0 or 1, us versus them, good and evil, etc.
What is wrong with my argument?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am The mind and the physical co-exists and for whatever is beyond that it is a transcendental idea where one has to remain silent. If one is itchy for something more [illusory] then the solution is to deal with the associated psychology [existential crisis] that trigger that "itchiness" for the illusory.

This "itchiness" has malignant potentials in the long run and thus should be weaned off psychologically so that the living being can maintain optimal well being as individual and for the collective.
This is duty of physicist to understand the consciousness, decision and causation.
bahman

Post by bahman »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 am
bahman wrote:
Consider a change in a system X to Y . X and Y cannot coexist therefore X has to vanish before Y is caused . Y however cannot be caused
from nothing ( remember that X is vanished so we have nothing ) Therefore there must be a mind which experiences X and causes Y
Quantum fluctuations come from absolute nothing because vacuum states can only exist for an infinitesimal period
And at the classical level the law of cause and effect applies and so no mind is required for transition in either case
So you believe that nothing has causal power?
Logik

Post by Logik »

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:35 pm Mind is involved in any motion unless you show that something is wrong with my argument.
Suppose that mind isn't involved in any motion. What do you predict would be different in this universe?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:35 pm Mind is involved in any motion unless you show that something is wrong with my argument.
Suppose that mind isn't involved in any motion. What do you predict would be different in this universe?
Physical vanishes. Unless you could prove a better model of reality.
Logik

Post by Logik »

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm Physical vanishes. Unless you could prove a better model of reality.
Lots of minds disappear as people die. The physical remains.

Is there one particular mind you have in mind?

Also. What utility does it add to the current model to add mind?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm Physical vanishes. Unless you could prove a better model of reality.
Lots of minds disappear as people die. The physical remains.
Mind doesn't disappear. What is lost is our controls over physical bodies. There are sustainers of physical though, God, Satan, etc.
Logik wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm Is there one particular mind you have in mind?
There are minds in charge of sustaining physical. We cause thoughts for example. Growing further. So we also contribute.
Logik wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm Also. What utility does it add to the current model to add mind?
It resolves the free will problem. There is free will because we can resolve the conflict when the situation is marginal. We all faced marginal situation, when options are equally liked. The decision cannot be reduced to physical since physical obey the laws of nature, a deterministic system halts when it is faced by marginal situation. Therefore that is mind which is free. We have no other choice since there are only mind and physical in this model. You can also argue that that is mind which experiences and causes. That is mind which is the experiencer since it has to be aware of situation to decide. Awareness cannot be assigned to only physical since otherwise mind cannot decide. You can argue in the same manner that that is mind which is in charge of causation too. Matter cannot be in charge of causation.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm

• Wittgenstein
Mind cannot be emergent. Something which is emergent cannot experience, decide and cause.
From where did you arrive at the above conclusion?

The human body is made up of specific physical elements.
The fact that such a combination of body parts can culminate in thinking, planning, experiencing, making decision imply there is an emergent. That emergent is conveniently label as mind. We can even switch it [mind] off to some extent with anesthetic.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am Both the mind and Whereof one cannot speak are self-referential where each contain the other as in the Tao symbol where Yang contain Yin inherently and Yin also contain Yang, note below, the white has an inherent black dot and vice-versa;

Your model of reality is incomplete if there is a whereof that you can not speak.
Note there is no "a" re "whereof that you can not speak" and rightly there is no 'where' as well.
In such a case one just must shut up or naturally be indifferent to it.
The point that one must speak of it, that is due to one's terrible psychology, not because there is something pre-existing to be spoken of.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am Your approach is a crude narrow minded idea of duality which contributed to your unsound and unholistic inferences leading to infinite regression and potential sufferings, i.e. duality of happiness and inevitable sadness, black or white, 0 or 1, us versus them, good and evil, etc.
At this specific refine level, your argument is corrupted with duality and monism.
You insist there is "that" something [out there, absolute] when in reality there is nothing to speak of.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am The mind and the physical co-exists and for whatever is beyond that it is a transcendental idea where one has to remain silent. If one is itchy for something more [illusory] then the solution is to deal with the associated psychology [existential crisis] that trigger that "itchiness" for the illusory.

This is duty of physicist to understand the consciousness, decision and causation.
Nope!
Nah! The duty of the physicist to understand whatever is physical.

The subject of consciousness, decision making and causation involves too many variable that is beyond physics, e.g. biology, neurosciences, neuro-psychology genomics, evolutionary psychology, anthropology, etc. etc.
The responsibility of understanding consciousness and other refine issues can only be resolved by philosophy-proper with its whole range of tools. [note 'proper' not academic philosophy].

Note how Hume destroyed the older foundation of Science prior his counter, re the 'Problem of Induction' and 'Causation' [due to customs, habits, constant conjunctions and psychology].
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:12 am
bahman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm

• Wittgenstein
From where did you arrive at the above conclusion?
Mind is a physical state if it is due to physical activity. A physical state simply cannot experience another physical state, taste of salt.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am The human body is made up of specific physical elements.
The fact that such a combination of body parts can culminate in thinking, planning, experiencing, making decision imply there is an emergent. That emergent is conveniently label as mind. We can even switch it [mind] off to some extent with anesthetic.
That, anesthetic, is not a proof for mind being emergent.
At this specific refine level, your argument is corrupted with duality and monism.
There is nothing wrong with dualism.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 am You insist there is "that" something [out there, absolute] when in reality there is nothing to speak of.
Physical of course is an illusion. Mind in your view is an illusion since it is emergent. Therefore everything is illusion. Illusion however cannot persist. Therefore your model of reality is wrong. There is of course something out there.