On natural selection of the laws of nature, Artificial life and Open-ended evolution, Universal Darwinism, Occam's razor

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

kiwi0fruit

On natural selection of the laws of nature, Artificial life and Open-ended evolution, Universal Darwinism, Occam's razor

Post by kiwi0fruit »

Last edited by kiwi0fruit on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
-1-

Re: On natural selection of the laws of nature, Artificial life and Open-ended evolution, Universal Darwinism, Occam's r

Post by -1- »

I think this stuff you talk 'bout is too hard for us simple country-philosopher folks here.

What we like to do here is to ride our favourite hobby-horses and to incessantly talk about our own pet theories which patently make no sense and to call each other arsenokoitei once in a while.
Atla

Re: On natural selection of the laws of nature, Artificial life and Open-ended evolution, Universal Darwinism, Occam's r

Post by Atla »

Yeah you will get no answers on this forum. I'll ramble a little anyway.

Well technically animate and inanimate matter are arbitrary, made up categories, biological life is made of the same kind of "stuff" that rocks are. Biological life is part of, continuous with, it's environment, but this doesn't help much in a simulation does it, because simulating the organisms plus their environment on nearly particle level is practically impossible.

I think the best approach to evolution is the Anthropic principle. (Applied to an infinite non-separable multiverse, where there is an inherent circularity within the multiverse, combined with the idea that we only see a very special region of our own universe, but it's part of a much bigger structure that extends beyond the observable part, and even beyond the part that came from the Big Bang. Which creates the illusion from out point of view, that things in our universe evolve from the simpler toward the more complex, the illusion of "emergence", the illusion of indeterminism, the illusion that evolution is driven by something, but this parenthesis part is quite irrelevant here.) But the Anthropic principle doesn't help much in the simulation either does it, implementing not just a starting point, but also an ending point (self-aware human) into the simulation, and letting the simulation find the route between the two, using emergence, indeterminism, increase in complexity etc. kinda defeats the purpose I think. I guess a simulation should not be guided towards a preestablished ending point.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Santa Claus dulls Occam's razor...

-Imp