Solipsism, idealism and a basic question

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Don Schneider

Solipsism, idealism and a basic question

Post by Don Schneider »

After decades of informal studies of various metaphysical paradigms worldwide, for both intuitive and empirical reasons, I believe that those which are closest to truth, reality, are the ones which underpinnings are idealism (which, for one consideration, would seem to adequately resolve many, if not all, seeming paradoxes, including Zeno’s), especially Eastern metaphysical schools such as the Hindu Advaita Vedanta (based upon the Upanishads), and what I discern to be the very closely related—on a substantive basis (though less intellectual in tenor)—Zen Buddhism. To me, both are forms of solipsism, though not what I now term as “radical solipsism,”; i.e., the belief that only one individual exists in reality and all else and all others are projections, illusions of one’s mind. Although I now believe in a form of solipsism (which we can discuss later if any are interested), I would not be wasting my time discussing matters with nonexistent people if I adhered to radical solipsism. Other considerations why I dismiss radical solipsism can be discussed later as well; again, if anyone is interested. (Since I don’t adhere to radical solipsism, then I know that anyone reading this would know on a de facto basis that I would be wrong if I did and I would, therefore, be preaching to the metaphorical choir.)

For starters, I just wanted to put one simple, fundamental question before this community. Is there any proof that we (one another) live in a common universe as opposed to separate ones but from which we can still communicate and interact, analogous to people living in different domiciles but can communicate via phones?

Thank you.
mickthinks

Re: Solipsism, idealism and a basic question

Post by mickthinks »

Is there any proof that we (one another) live in a common universe?

Logical proof? No. Scientific proof? No. Philosophical argument? Yes, I believe so, starting from consideration of the inverse proposition; are there any grounds for imagining that we live in individual universes which are separate but from which we can still communicate and interact? What would that entail? What, indeed, would that mean?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

that depends on your definition of universe

-Imp
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

"Is there any proof that we (one another) live in a common universe?"

Logical proof? Yes. Scientific proof? Yes. Philosophical argument? Yes. Ever considered new people confirmation in the brain of a test participant by (f)MRI?

Any good telepathic interaction? Any good soul-to-soul interaction by common OBEs or NDEs (think Van Lommel)? Well, well, a bit crazy. 8)

Welcome, Don Schneider!
-1-

Post by -1- »

Don Schneider wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:32 pm After decades of informal studies of various metaphysical paradigms worldwide, for both intuitive and empirical reasons, I believe that those which are closest to truth, reality, are the ones which underpinnings are idealism (which, for one consideration, would seem to adequately resolve many, if not all, seeming paradoxes, including Zeno’s), especially Eastern metaphysical schools such as the Hindu Advaita Vedanta (based upon the Upanishads), and what I discern to be the very closely related—on a substantive basis (though less intellectual in tenor)—Zen Buddhism. To me, both are forms of solipsism, though not what I now term as “radical solipsism,”; i.e., the belief that only one individual exists in reality and all else and all others are projections, illusions of one’s mind. Although I now believe in a form of solipsism (which we can discuss later if any are interested), I would not be wasting my time discussing matters with nonexistent people if I adhered to radical solipsism. Other considerations why I dismiss radical solipsism can be discussed later as well; again, if anyone is interested. (Since I don’t adhere to radical solipsism, then I know that anyone reading this would know on a de facto basis that I would be wrong if I did and I would, therefore, be preaching to the metaphorical choir.)

For starters, I just wanted to put one simple, fundamental question before this community. Is there any proof that we (one another) live in a common universe as opposed to separate ones but from which we can still communicate and interact, analogous to people living in different domiciles but can communicate via phones?

Thank you.
Universe implies there is only one of those. so to say we live in two distinct, separate things of which there is only one is absurd.

So the proof lies in the fact that there is only one (1) universe. Therefore anything that does any living anywhere, it does its living in the one and only universe.

That's proof enough for me.

It's your go now, Don Schneider. Please feel free to prove that we live in separate universes.