The One Elemental Law

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: The One Elemental Law

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm I don’t try to REJECT. I try to AFFIRM the human condition.
Interesting spin. :) Why is what you affirm so one-sided? How truthful can one-sided be?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm Why do kids see what adults are incapable of
I think it's because adults are too invested in their stories... which tend to be one-sided, and are how they UNnaturally identify themselves and all else.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm If hypocrisy and the need for prestige are such dominant traits in society, what do you think will happen to all these beautiful houses regardless of the most wonderful stories?
Again, it appears that you view from a one-sided gloom-and-doom mentality. It's impossible to have a balanced and truthful discussion with any clarity if you cannot acknowledge that beauty and "good" exists in all, just as the opposite. You are focusing on the opposite because it serves the agenda of your story. And you are in denial that you even have a story. Correct?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm
Lacewing wrote:And here you go again... pretending that you have a MORE FUCKING RIGHTEOUS PURPOSE FOR SUFFERING.
It isn’t that I have it but rather I know of it.
Spin, spin, spin. Don't you ever get dizzy? :D Your response to me pointing out (similar to what Gurdjieff pointed out in the quote you provided) that suffering can be intoxication rather than leading to clarity -- was for you to imply that the type of suffering you associate yourself with, is important and noble. Your refusal to acknowledge the risk of your own intoxication is dishonest. And your defensiveness hinders clarity.
“The supernatural greatness of Christianity lies in the fact that it does not seek a supernatural remedy for suffering but a supernatural use for it.” Simone Weil
Well, that's ONE PERSPECTIVE AND EXPERIENCE.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm
Lacewing wrote: I'm not sure that you can accept that people are attaining evolved states of awareness and functioning through paths of divine joy and love. Can you accept that truth?
I don’t understand it.
Because you are being one-sided.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pmConscious evolution requires consciousness.
Consciousness is not defined by your limited means.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pmThe willingness to let go of imagination in pursuit of reality requires real suffering.
The "willingness" to let go of imagination in pursuit of reality can be deceptive, just like any claim can be deceptive. Pursuing reality or truth does not ensure anything, as it can all be distorted by a person's unavoidably unconscious baggage.
"A test of what is real is that it is hard and rough. Joys are found in it, not pleasure. What is pleasant belongs to dreams."
Simone Weil -- Gravity and Grace
Simone clearly had some mental struggles. Do you not see that? You can still love her while being honest. Personally, I think it's more truthful to say: JOY can be found in anything... and EVERYTHING belongs to dreams. It's a matter of perspective. ONE perspective cannot reveal all... don't you agree? Being one-sided... regardless of all the logic applied to support it... is still only a limited view... right? What might be the purpose of being one-sided?

Nick_A wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pmAre we really limited to making up stories?
Seems so. Even knowledge evolves. Stories aren't necessarily a BAD thing... they're what we think we know, all things considered. But we do get rather intoxicated by them, and I've not seen anything that shows you're uniquely immune from that. :)
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing
Interesting spin. Why is what you affirm so one-sided? How truthful can one-sided be?
There seems to be something irritating about people like me who claim 2+2=4.
“I agree that two times two makes four is an excellent thing; but if we are dispensing praise, then two times two makes five is sometimes a most charming little thing as well.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Of course Winston had trouble with this in George Orwell’s book 1984 but didn’t budge even in the cause of flattery
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows"
Ah, but it’s not granted. This is how people like Orwell and Dostoyevsky cause trouble. They are too one-sided and raise the ire of all interested in fairness and the ability to create ones own reality
Again, it appears that you view from a one-sided gloom-and-doom mentality. It's impossible to have a balanced and truthful discussion with any clarity if you cannot acknowledge that beauty and "good" exists in all, just as the opposite. You are focusing on the opposite because it serves the agenda of your story. And you are in denial that you even have a story. Correct?
Of course beauty and good exists in all. But can you acknowledge the opposite also exists in all? If you can the logical question is why we must live this way in hypocrisy?
Spin, spin, spin. Don't you ever get dizzy? Your response to me pointing out (similar to what Gurdjieff pointed out in the quote you provided) that suffering can be intoxication rather than leading to clarity -- was for you to imply that the type of suffering you associate yourself with, is important and noble. Your refusal to acknowledge the risk of your own intoxication is dishonest. And your defensiveness hinders clarity.
I have a chess player’s mind. I’m attracted to experience the logic of the position rather than intoxication. Caissa the goddess of chess is a cruel mistress and doesn’t tolerate intoxication over the board. She is the queen of logic so the intoxication routine won’t work in chess. I am not capable of What Gurdjieff and Simone Weil were capable of. I associate with it intellectually. I can intellectually know the purpose of the Crucifixion but would be incapable of it. Secularism is closed to the purpose of the Crucifixion. That’s OK but it doesn’t mean others open to the idea of Mans conscious evolution must be closed to contemplation because it is considered naive.
The "willingness" to let go of imagination in pursuit of reality can be deceptive, just like any claim can be deceptive. Pursuing reality or truth does not ensure anything, as it can all be distorted by a person's unavoidably unconscious baggage.
Very true. Are there people with the need for truth who also have the necessary courage and will to “know thyself?” We know the value of external empiricism in the cause of science but only a relative few are open to what is necessary to practice inner empiricism in the struggle against self deception for the sake of their being. I’ll post this article along with an excerpt for those interested.

http://cogweb.ucla.edu/Abstracts/Needleman_93.html
…………………..This is an unconventional approach to philosophy in our culture. Yet it is one that can throw light on many of the great classic questions of philosophy. For example, "Is the world real, or only a construct of appearances?" Behind the appearances presented to us by our senses, is there a real world? And if so, how can we ever know it? These problems have been argued over for centuries, often brilliantly; and nobody has argued better or more cleverly about these points than Immanuel Kant. There are many ways of looking at the issue; and what we find is a shifting mosaic of appearances depending on our point of view.

What I want to emphasize is that once we begin to take seriously the potential capacity of the human mind for other kinds of experiences--for other states of consciousness--and develop the proper language and understanding, we discover that the whole question of appearance versus reality itself shifts. Once we begin to realize that there is a selfhood that is more real, under what we usually call "my self ", we come to recognize that not only do we live in a world of appearances outside, we also live in an internal world of appearances.

At this point, the whole issue gets really interesting. Now we see that in order to know the world behind external appearances, we have to get behind the appearances of our inner world. The only way to gain real knowledge of the outer world is by penetrating the appearances of the inner world. Thus, if I want to know the numinous, the thing¬in¬itself, I need to activate that instrument in myself that is capable of perceiving it. This is the very "instrument" that Kant proved, so he believed, did not exist………………………...
You can say that it really doesn’t matter. Why question appearance vs. reality? Just go with the flow. Just create your own reality and forget about truth. There is nothing wrong with this. It is nature’s way. One day we kill and on the next day we heal. It is the human condition. For some reason I respect the needs of these people and the efforts made to “know thyself” for the sake of accelerated evolution. Of course it is one-sided. Truth is one-sided. Fantasy is multi sided. I like fantasy but have the highest regard for the seekers capable of suffering awakening in the cause of truth.
Simone clearly had some mental struggles. Do you not see that? You can still love her while being honest.
Maybe we are the ones with mental problems. Suppose she lived her life in accordance with what was necessary for her to consciously experience the reality of the human condition for the sake of conscious evolution. If we cannot understand it and think it weird, then it is us with a mental problem acquired through societal indoctrination.
Seems so. Even knowledge evolves. Stories aren't necessarily a BAD thing... they're what we think we know, all things considered. But we do get rather intoxicated by them, and I've not seen anything that shows you're uniquely immune from that.
Earthly knowledge evolves. That is how people are finally indoctrinated into the belief that 2+2=5. Forms described by Plato by definition cannot evolve since they are already evolved and the source of opinions. A minority are attracted to the experience of the forms while the majority seek to acquire and defend opinions. The minority are not considered normal. They don’t fit in so must either be re-educted or eliminated. Socrates was ruled to be a disturbance and a corrupter of the youth of Athens. He no longer fit in. Is it any wonder why he had to be killed?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am Of course beauty and good exists in all. But can you acknowledge the opposite also exists in all?
I've acknowledged this many times. It's ALL THERE. We're all of it. It's all divine. Remember now?
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am If you can the logical question is why we must live this way in hypocrisy?
No, that's NOT the logical question... that's your crazy-ass obsessive question. There are MANY questions. Why are we good... why are we bad... blah, blah, blah. The point I've been making is that you are intoxicated with one view... to the point that you really seem very drunk.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am I’m attracted to experience the logic of the position rather than intoxication.
Your IDEA of "logic" IS YOUR INTOXICATION!!!
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am Caissa the goddess of chess is a cruel mistress and doesn’t tolerate intoxication over the board.
You like thinking about her, don't you! :D You're as drunk as anyone I've ever met.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am I am not capable of What Gurdjieff and Simone Weil were capable of. I associate with it intellectually. I can intellectually know the purpose of the Crucifixion but would be incapable of it.
Then why are you harping on and on about the travesty of people not focusing on conscious evolution, if you're going to be a deadbeat and not even accomplish it?
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am Secularism is closed to the purpose of the Crucifixion.
You're a deadbeat. Which is worse?
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am
Lacewing wrote:Simone clearly had some mental struggles. Do you not see that? You can still love her while being honest.
Maybe we are the ones with mental problems. Suppose she lived her life in accordance with what was necessary for her to consciously experience the reality of the human condition for the sake of conscious evolution. If we cannot understand it and think it weird, then it is us with a mental problem acquired through societal indoctrination.
No. Stop turning her into a god. If we think her weird, it could be because she was clearly "off" about some things. There's nothing wrong with recognizing that. She was not faultless. You're drunk.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am Earthly knowledge evolves.
Yes, yes we know, you think you have some kind of knowledge beyond that. Not very logical, Nick.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 am A minority are attracted to the experience of the forms while the majority seek to acquire and defend opinions. The minority are not considered normal. They don’t fit in so must either be re-educted or eliminated.
And you are so delighted with yourself to be aligned with the wretched and beaten minority who suffer on behalf of truth. What a STORY! I'm eating popcorn while I read about it. :D
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing
I've acknowledged this many times. It's ALL THERE. We're all of it. It's all divine. Remember now?
Maybe I’m just too old fashioned but somehow I can’t consider Hitler and Stalin to be representatives of divinity.
The point I've been making is that you are intoxicated with one view... to the point that you really seem very drunk.
Why intoxicated? My premise is that rather than inner unity we exist as a plurality often in opposition with ourselves living in Plato’s cave attached to the shadows on the wall. Why does one have to be drunk to assert such a logical premise we can easily verify through sincere efforts to “know thyself?”
Your IDEA of "logic" IS YOUR INTOXICATION!!!
Partially true. There is something beautiful and intoxicating when a person senses the unity of our great universe.
You like thinking about her, don't you! You're as drunk as anyone I've ever met.
You are rejecting good scotch and find something odd about a man who appreciates Caissa. She must have been quite something to attract Mars. You can be a real party pooper.

http://www.chess-poster.com/english/history/caissa.htm
Then why are you harping on and on about the travesty of people not focusing on conscious evolution, if you're going to be a deadbeat and not even accomplish it?
The purpose of philosophy is to inspire questions of a deeper nature. Philosophy should inspire wonder. “Philosophy begins in wonder.” Plato

Conscious evolution is a logical theory we can partially verify. We can easily develop our quality of consciousness up to a point. The question becomes what we are capable of? A Question worthy of conscious contemplation.
No. Stop turning her into a god. If we think her weird, it could be because she was clearly "off" about some things. There's nothing wrong with recognizing that. She was not faultless. You're drunk.
Simone wasn’t a god and she wasn’t faultless. She had the need, intelligence, heart, and courage to live with conscious attention and emotional detachment for the sake of experiencing the reality of the external world. No need for stories. She was a seeker of truth at the expense of pleasure. She is an inspiration which her faults do not lessen.
And you are so delighted with yourself to be aligned with the wretched and beaten minority who suffer on behalf of truth. What a STORY! I'm eating popcorn while I read about it.
You apparently look down on these rare ones. Intolerance of them is the norm of the world. I am not ashamed at all to have the highest regard for this minority.
"Pity them my children, they are far from home and no one knows them. Let those in quest of God be careful lest appearances deceive them in these people who are peculiar and hard to place; no one rightly knows them but those in whom the same light shines" Meister Eckhart
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am Maybe I’m just too old fashioned but somehow I can’t consider Hitler and Stalin to be representatives of divinity.
That's because your view of divinity is one-sided... and you are the judge. You judge what is God and what is not. Therefore, you create God. You cannot accept that God is ALL. Good is God, and bad is NOT God.

Surely conscious evolution gets BEYOND these primitive one-sided views.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am You are rejecting good scotch and find something odd about a man who appreciates Caissa. She must have been quite something to attract Mars.
Have we found something that you're willing to let your beloved "logic" fly out the window for? :D
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am You can be a real party pooper.
Maybe for you. I'm actually a party girl. I just don't find your spin much of a party.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am The purpose of philosophy is to inspire questions of a deeper nature. Philosophy should inspire wonder.
But what is it when you're only willing to go deeper in your own stuff? That's what I call intoxication.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am She [Simone] had the need, intelligence, heart, and courage to live with conscious attention and emotional detachment for the sake of experiencing the reality of the external world. No need for stories.
Oh she had stories! You're in denial if you think not.

How can you have clarity if you're so engrossed in a particular view, Nick? Where/what are the questions that you are willing to ask and answer to take you beyond that?
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am You apparently look down on these rare ones.
You don't think I'M A RARE ONE TOO? :D No, I don't look down on "them" -- I'm just challenging you for glorifying "them" above all else.
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am I am not ashamed at all to have the highest regard for this minority.
Unfortunately, you don't have the highest regard for anyone else. Again, you decide based on your one-sided view, WHAT is of value and WHO has it. It's very limited.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing
Nick_A wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:19 am
Maybe I’m just too old fashioned but somehow I can’t consider Hitler and Stalin to be representatives of divinity.

That's because your view of divinity is one-sided... and you are the judge. You judge what is God and what is not. Therefore, you create God. You cannot accept that God is ALL. Good is God, and bad is NOT God.
God has nothing to do with it. God is not in the universe. The universe is a machine existing within the isness of our Source. Your body is a machine within the isness of your mind but God is not in your body.
I'm actually a party girl.
But which party; the communist party?
But what is it when you're only willing to go deeper in your own stuff? That's what I call intoxication.
When there is something reasonable to go deeper in I’m all for it. I’m sorry but this idea that we are all divine just doesn’t cut it. It is only good for the glorification of secularism as the ultimate expression of divinity. It is a good story but just a story which serves self justification.
Oh she had stories! You're in denial if you think not.
But she consciously verified the truth or falsity of her stories. She didn’t just complain, deny, and ridicule, which is the chosen expression of secular contemplation.
Unfortunately, you don't have the highest regard for anyone else. Again, you decide based on your one-sided view, WHAT is of value and WHO has it. It's very limited.
Of course I do but it is selective. I had the highest regard for Bobby Fisher’s chess genius but at the same time I knew it was one sided. He lacked any appreciation of the psychological prison it created. I have the highest regard for human value that appreciates the human condition and strives to outgrow it. Einstein explains:
“The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self.” ― Albert Einstein.
The idea that we are all divine only serves to enforce psychological slavery to the indoctrinated self at the expense of the reality of the potential for human being.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm The idea that we are all divine only serves to enforce psychological slavery to the indoctrinated self at the expense of the reality of the potential for human being.
You say that because you don't understand it, and you're convoluting it so that you can oppose it. :D That's okay... carry on my wayward friend.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

So it appears that as of now people are either drawn to a bottom up or top down approach to value our place within our external world and the universe as a whole.

The top down universalist accepts an ultimate source, the ONE and its involution and expansion into diversity, for existence and the laws and forms which maintain it. In contrast the bottom up secularist is unconcerned with a source but accepts Man's will and the world as providing for our primary needs.

Can these two approaches be reconciled before our species destroys itself? A good question.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:Can these two approaches be reconciled before our species destroys itself? A good question.
For a theist idiot, sure.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 pm
Nick_A wrote:Can these two approaches be reconciled before our species destroys itself? A good question.
For a theist idiot, sure.
Well since you do not consider yourself a theist idiot, you must believe our situation is hopeless. You may be right.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:Well since you do not consider yourself a theist idiot, you must believe our situation is hopeless. You may be right.
Since I'm not a theist idiot I do not believe or long for your 'Armageddon' so I do not believe in your 'situation' as it is a case of your own making.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:58 am
Nick_A wrote:Well since you do not consider yourself a theist idiot, you must believe our situation is hopeless. You may be right.
Since I'm not a theist idiot I do not believe or long for your 'Armageddon' so I do not believe in your 'situation' as it is a case of your own making.
The question remains. Which will come first: The destruction of humanity for whatever reason or the philosophical reconciliation between bottom up secularists and top down universalists. I'm betting on mutual destruction. Mother nature can just take so much and then she has to clean house.