Metaphysics is the easiest branch of philosophy.

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Post by -1- »

I have come to this conclusion after reading some entries in this section of the forum.

"If we exist, and the universe is infinite, then cars don't exist." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"We don't exist, only a mind exists." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"Time is the effervescent intangible reality we perceive through a filter of memory." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"My neighbour stole my overcoat as it was hung out to dry. Why don't the police do something about it?" Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"To do is to be, but to be is not to do." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.
kovacs

Re: Metaphysics is the easiest branch of philosophy.

Post by kovacs »

People argue about metphysics all the time. Including realists and physicalists along with the rest. Most people don't realize they work from a metaphysics however.

And sure a priori type stuff appears in metaphysics, and openly.
-1-

Post by -1- »

kovacs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:53 am People argue about metphysics all the time. Including realists and physicalists along with the rest. Most people don't realize they work from a metaphysics however.

Kovacs, what IS metaphysics? Nobody seems to have explained to me so that I would understand what the word means in sense of branch of philosophy.
kovacs

Post by kovacs »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 pm
kovacs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:53 am People argue about metphysics all the time. Including realists and physicalists along with the rest. Most people don't realize they work from a metaphysics however.

Kovacs, what IS metaphysics? Nobody seems to have explained to me so that I would understand what the word means in sense of branch of philosophy.
There is some disagreement and it has changed over time. I would say it has to do with the fundamental components of reality. To me, physicalism, is a kind of metaphysics.

It is often used pejoratively to denote any very abstract not falsifiable, and not very clear assertions about reality.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am Metaphysics is the easiest branch of philosophy.

I have come to this conclusion after reading some entries in this section of the forum.

"If we exist, and the universe is infinite, then cars don't exist." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"We don't exist, only a mind exists." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"Time is the effervescent intangible reality we perceive through a filter of memory." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"My neighbour stole my overcoat as it was hung out to dry. Why don't the police do something about it?" Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.

"To do is to be, but to be is not to do." Why? Because it's metaphysics. Nobody argues after that.
I am glad you see it as easy, maybe you could elaborate on the problems of unity and multiplicity further (considering it extends from the duality of being and non-being)?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am Metaphysics is the easiest branch of philosophy.

Actually the car would exist ad-infinitum as an extension of infinity. Considering infinity as "limitless limit" is dependent upon limits, the car would always exist in some form or another (temporaly speaking) while from the perspective of 1 totality it is always present.

The what is matter?

If time is memory, and memory is repetition of thought, if memory observe an infinite repetition does time exist or not exist?

A question was made without an answer then you imply "why the answer" when no answer was presented....

Pure action, that which does not stop, extends beyond no action as it transcends it. This transcendence of action into no-action observes that pure being, while reflective of non-being in the respect both have similarities, provides the boundaries of what we know as "nothing" since what is not cannot be observe in an of itself except through being.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

"Being through being" which implies a process of measurement through the maintenance and observation of the repetition of symmetry. In separate terms: "Existence through existence" observes metaphysics as a form of reflective measurement.
-1-

Post by -1- »

kovacs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 pm

There is some disagreement and it has changed over time. I would say it has to do with the fundamental components of reality. To me, physicalism, is a kind of metaphysics.

It is often used pejoratively to denote any very abstract not falsifiable, and not very clear assertions about reality.
Thanks. I see some problems... no definition, and contradictory views... such as "fundamental components of reality" vs. "a priori truths".

Abstract yet pertaining to the real...

Everybody talks about it, yet nobody knows what it is...

A bit like Trump's influence on election outcomes.

Little wonder I could never grasp what it could be. I had always thought it had to do with one of Aristotle's chapters in one of his books, which came after or before the chapter titled "Physics", and it had no other descriptive title. Of course not; it can't be defined in one fell swoop.
Erk

Post by Erk »

Metaphysics deals with the nature of existence and calls for self-evident proofs rather than empirical ones. That doesn't necessarily make it easy. Quite the opposite actually.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Erk wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:46 am Metaphysics deals with the nature of existence and calls for self-evident proofs rather than empirical ones. That doesn't necessarily make it easy. Quite the opposite actually.
Agreed...you can argue it is the foundation of subjective and objective reality under the nature of the axiom.