Can the universe be complete without a multiverse?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Can the universe be complete without a multiverse?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

It's been said that our universe has everything. BUT it's also been said that a multiverse doesn't exist. Then how can our universe be complete without a multiverse?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
QuantumT

Re: Can the universe be complete without a multiverse?

Post by QuantumT »

Complete nonsense.

There are two definitions of a multiverse:

1: Countless universes existing side by side, but not interacting/touching.

2: Our own universe is a multiverse. Frequencies seperate them. They still do not interact, but share matter.

None of them are provable. They are pure speculation.
Philosophy Explorer

QuantumT wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:01 am Complete nonsense.

There are two definitions of a multiverse:

1: Countless universes existing side by side, but not interacting/touching.

2: Our own universe is a multiverse. Frequencies seperate them. They still do not interact, but share matter.

None of them are provable. They are pure speculation.
Yet many scientists think a multiverse does exist. And without a multiverse, then no one can claim the universe is complete. Saying it's nonsense is just opinion without evidence as you just said. Would you say it's impossible to determine whether a multiverse exists?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

It can only be pointed out mathematicly, but never be proven.
Math is optimistic towards it, but is even more optimistic towards the simulation hypothesis, so even if the math suggests it, it doesn't mean it's acceptable to people.
Erk

Post by Erk »

If the universe is finite yet infinite, as Einstein suggested, then one universe covers all possibilities.
Philosophy Explorer

Erk wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:49 am If the universe is finite yet infinite, as Einstein suggested, then one universe covers all possibilities.
The scientists say the universe is finite in space and time. If so, then our universe doesn't cover all possibilities according to your contention.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Erk

Post by Erk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:09 am
The scientists say the universe is finite in space and time. If so, then our universe doesn't cover all possibilities according to your contention.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
The purpose of my answer was to simply point out that if it is infinite then a multiverse is unnecessary to make it complete. I doubt you can back up your claim that the jury is in and the universe is definitely finite, and I'm not claiming it's definitely infinite.
Philosophy Explorer

Erk wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 pm

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
The purpose of my answer was to simply point out that if it is infinite then a multiverse is unnecessary to make it complete. I doubt you can back up your claim that the jury is in and the universe is definitely finite, and I'm not claiming it's definitely infinite.
This comes from my online encyclopedia:

"The proper distance—the distance as would be measured at a specific time, including the present—between Earth and the edge of the observable universe is 46 billion light-years (14 billion parsecs), making the diameter of the observable universe about 91 billion light-years (28×109 pc)."

Doesn't sound infinite to me.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Erk

Post by Erk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 pm

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲

"The proper distance—the distance as would be measured at a specific time, including the present—between Earth and the edge of the observable universe is 46 billion light-years (14 billion parsecs), making the diameter of the observable universe about 91 billion light-years (28×109 pc)."

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Once again, my purpose is not to state the universe is infinite. I've stated my purpose already. But if you must you're taking a description of the OBSERVABLE universe which would inherently be finite. That doesn't mean the universe beyond that is ultimate finite as well.
Philosophy Explorer

Erk wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:32 am

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Once again, my purpose is not to state the universe is infinite. I've stated my purpose already. But if you must you're taking a description of the OBSERVABLE universe which would inherently be finite. That doesn't mean the universe beyond that is ultimate finite as well.
Nor does it mean it is infinite.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 am
Erk wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:32 am

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Nor does it mean it is infinite.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
This 'Eye' is for ever invisible to itself and remains when all finite occurrences are 'negated.'
It’s the knower of the finite, can’t have one without the other. It’s in finite but non-finite.

That’s what infinite actually means.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
It has been said that our universe has everything. BUT it has also been said that a multiverse doesnt exist. Then how can our universe be complete
The Universe by definition is ALL THAT EXISTS including that which has already existed and has yet to exist as well. That includes the multiverse
if it also exists. But it can be confusing for sometimes Universe means the observable universe and not the Universe per se which arent the same
Philosophy Explorer

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am
It has been said that our universe has everything. BUT it has also been said that a multiverse doesnt exist. Then how can our universe be complete
The Universe by definition is ALL THAT EXISTS including that which has already existed and has yet to exist as well. That includes the multiverse
if it also exists. But it can be confusing for sometimes Universe means the observable universe and not the Universe per se which arent the same
Since we know nothing about the unobservable universe (including whether it exists), then our observable universe is incomplete.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Since we know nothing about the unobservable universe ( including whether it exists ) then our observable universe is incomplete
Not if the observable universe was all that actually existed because then it would by definition be complete
Of course it could not be proven that nothing existed beyond it so such a claim could not actually be known
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:13 pm It's been said that our universe has everything. BUT it's also been said that a multiverse doesn't exist. Then how can our universe be complete without a multiverse?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Infinity cannot complete...for one very good reason. The mind is trying to take a peek up it’s own skirt here, impossible since that would be like trying to cross the horizon.