Are Humans Really AIs?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AlexW

Re: Are Humans Really AIs?

Post by AlexW »

Noax wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 am The asker of the question is one himself by this definition
Yes... Isn't that hilarious! :-)
Greta

Post by Greta »

AlexW wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:28 pm
Noax wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 amBy this dictionary definition, I am artificial, but a UFO space ship is not. Somehow I think the word was intended to mean something other than that. It sort of solves the whole question of if an AI can be conscious. The asker of the question is one himself by this definition.
Yes... Isn't that hilarious! :-)
:lol: The answer is no - next question!

How about this definition?
2. imitation; simulated; sham: artificial vanilla flavouring.
IIT posits that qualia may emerge from a close enough imitation of conscious entities.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Noax wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:51 am
AlexW wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:26 am Definition of artificiality: Something that has been made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally.
A man-made copy of a mind arises, rewiring the virgin neuronal network of the brain into a representation of its own. Of course there are other influences, other minds, other thoughts, that the child adopts, but this doesn’t change the fact that the new mind that the child now considers its own is essentially man-made – apparently a key ingredient of artificiality…

This raises the question: Are our minds, our intellects, really artificial?
Your definition of being artificial has nothing to do with the capabilities or functionality of the thing. It has to do with how it was made or produced.

So the copy-of-mind example is pretty irrelevant to this definition. Turns out that I was made by my parents, so that makes me more artificial by your definition than does your network example. Only human defecations would be artificial. Also, a robot or space ship produced by an alien would be natural since it was not made or produced by humans.

I'm pointing out what I see to be deficiencies in your definition of 'artificial'. Fix that, and the argument of the rest of the OP makes more sense.
"Turns out that I was made by my parents ..."

Did your parents also make the food in their garden?