The Simulation Model

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

QuantumT

The Simulation Model

Post by QuantumT »

I know the official name for it is "The Simulation Hypothesis", but if an idea is supported by a sufficient amount of circumstatial evidence, it is qualified to be called a model (since a hypothesis is unprovable). That's my opinion.

Anyways, I have become quite an expert on the subject, after studying it (and trying to debunk it) intensely for two years.

If you have any questions about this idea/model/hypothesis, I'd be happy to answer them! Anything goes, so don't be shy! :mrgreen:

Update: Averroes made 8 posts, of wich I answered 6 (14 total). Most of the latter ones were stupid. I realize those are to much of a distraction, so I will make a new thread soon!
Last edited by QuantumT on Sun May 20, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Averroes

Re: The Simulation Model

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:46 pm I know the official name for it is "The Simulation Hypothesis", but if an idea is supported by a sufficient amount of circumstatial evidence, it is qualified to be called a model (since a hypothesis is unprovable). That's my opinion.

Anyways, I have become quite an expert on the subject, after studying it (and trying to debunk it) intensely for two years.

If you have any questions about this idea/model/hypothesis, I'd be happy to answer them! Anything goes, so don't be shy! :mrgreen:
Ok. In computer science, computer scientists do a lot of simulations. The simulation is always about something. So what is intended to be simulated by this 'simulation hypothesis'? Can you tell me a bit more about it?
Many hypothesis have been proved and disproved in science and mathematics. So not all hypothesis are unprovable!
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:50 pm Ok. In computer science, computer scientists do a lot of simulations. The simulation is always about something. So what is intended to be simulated by this 'simulation hypothesis'? Can you tell me a bit more about it?
Many hypothesis have been proved and disproved in science and mathematics. So not all hypothesis are unprovable!
Most (if not all) people experience things that seem like a thread going through their lives, where things work out in the end, provided that they follow that thread. Some call "the thread" God, some call it fate, some contribute it to life itself or even the universe. I believe that that "thread" is our hosts playing gods. I even suspect them to be responsible for war. So to answer your question: The purpose is entertainment.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 pm
Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:50 pm Ok. In computer science, computer scientists do a lot of simulations. The simulation is always about something. So what is intended to be simulated by this 'simulation hypothesis'? Can you tell me a bit more about it?
Most (if not all) people experience things that seem like a thread going through their lives, where things work out in the end, provided that they follow that thread. Some call "the thread" God, some call it fate, some contrubute i to life itself or even the universe. I believe that that "thread" is our hosts playing gods. I even suspect them to be responsible for war. So to answer your question: The purpose is entertainment.
You have not answered my question!!

You wrote,
I know the official name for it is "The Simulation Hypothesis", but if an idea is supported by a sufficient amount of circumstatial evidence,
The so called 'simulation hypothesis', what is it about? Do you have some reading materials on this? What is being simulated?
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:10 pm So what is intended to be simulated
A world with intelligent beings who think they are real. The ultimate game.
You have not answered my question!!

I thought I did.
Do you have some reading materials on this?
I sent you a link in a PM.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:20 pm
Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:10 pm So what is intended to be simulated
A world with intelligent beings who think they are real. The ultimate game.
So, firstly do these intelligent beings exist?
I sent you a link in a PM.
Ok. Thanks. I get it now. So it is the matrix hypothesis. The kind of philosophy started by Muslim philosopher Avicenna and taken up by 17th century French philosopher Descartes!
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:45 pm So, firstly do these intelligent beings exist?
They exist just as much as Donald Duck, Superman and Odin.
Ok. Thanks. I get it now. So it is the matrix hypothesis. The kind of philosophy started by Muslim philosopher Avicenna and taken up by 17th century French philosopher Descartes!
Maybe, but they had no concept of a computer. We do now. That's the big difference!
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 pm
Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:45 pm So, firstly do these intelligent beings exist?
Ok!
Maybe, but they had no concept of a computer. We do now. That's the big difference!
Who is the 'we' you are referring to: Donald duck, Superman or Odin or all of them?
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm Who is the 'we' you are referring to: Donald duck, Superman or Odin or all of them?
None of them. We are virtual beings in their game. But we are real to ourselves, eachother and to the players.
Have you ever felt sorrow when a character in fiction died? I bet they feel that too!
So even if we are not physical, we are very real to those who know us!
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:19 pm
Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm Who is the 'we' you are referring to: Donald duck, Superman or Odin or all of them?
None of them. We are virtual beings in their game. But we are real to ourselves and to the players.
Have you ever felt sorrow when a character in fiction died? I bet they feel that too!
So even if we are not physical, we are very real to those who know us!
Who are the 'we' you are referring to? If it is not Donald Duck, Superman, and Odin who you have said are intelligent beings, who are the other intelligent beings that exist like them? Neo, Morpheus, Mr Smith? Who else are in this 'we'? Are you in this 'we' as well?
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 pm Who are the 'we' you are referring to? If it is not Donald Duck, Superman, and Odin who you have said are intelligent beings, who are the other intelligent beings that exist like them? Neo, Morpheus, Mr Smith? Who else are in this 'we'? Are you in this 'we' as well?
I'm talking about the concept of a character / a virtual being. Not that we are Donald Duck/Superman/Odin.
They all have personalities, and are portrayed in "moving pictures", but they lack independent personality and intelligence, like we have.
The only things we do share with them is lack of true physical presense, and independent existence.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm
Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 pm Who are the 'we' you are referring to? If it is not Donald Duck, Superman, and Odin who you have said are intelligent beings, who are the other intelligent beings that exist like them? Neo, Morpheus, Mr Smith? Who else are in this 'we'? Are you in this 'we' as well?
They all have personalities, and are portrayed in "moving pictures", but they lack independent peronality and intelligense, like we have.
Now you have just contradicted yourself!! Before you said they exist as intelligent beings, and now you are saying they lack intelligence!
QuantumT wrote:
Averroes wrote:So, firstly do these intelligent beings exist?
So now if Donald Duck, Superman and Odin are not intelligent beings, who are the intelligent beings? And do they exist?
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:47 pm Now you have just contradicted yourself!! Before you said they exist as intelligent beings, and now you are saying they lack intelligence!
You are starting to become ridiculous. I never claimed those characters were intelligent.
We only share being virtual with them. But we are much more.
Please let any further questions be reasonable and intelligent.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Averroes wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:47 pm Now you have just contradicted yourself!! Before you said they exist as intelligent beings, and now you are saying they lack intelligence!
You are starting to become ridiculous. I never claimed those characters were intelligent.
We only share being virtual with them. But we are much more.
Please let any further questions be reasonable and intelligent.
Indeed, there is a great element of ridicule in all this! That is a good observation from you!
And you did claim that Donald Duck, Superman, and Odin existed just as much as intelligent beings exist! I quote:
So is it now that you are saying that Donald Duck, Superman and Odin do not exist as intelligent beings? If so is it now that intelligent beings exist not like the existence of Donald Duck, Superman and Odin? Let us be clear about these basics and reason this out as you asked in the OP, or you can also choose to opt out of the discussion!!
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

QuantumT wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:46 pm Update: Averroes made 7 posts, of wich I answered most (13 total). Most of the latter ones were stupid. I realize those are to much of a distraction, so I will make a new thread soon!
It really seems that you are not familiar with the philosophy of the 17th century philosophers! This is an old problem which have been thoroughly thought out before! What did you expect on a philosophy forum? That is the problem when you do not have some basics in philosophy!