The Absolute Impossibility of Nothingness - ever

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: The Absolute Impossibility of Nothingness - ever

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 am
Lacewing wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:31 am I wasn't questioning what you were saying, only what you meant by the word, "awareness." What you had to say about it is apparently some subjective private feeling/experience you have.
I'm referring to something that is measurable and noticeable by others, as well. Your bafflement appears to be too big of a job for me to address, so maybe I didn't try hard enough in my previous response.

Consider that many studies have been done that show plants (despite not having human consciousness) demonstrate an awareness of their environment... including being aware of approaching pests and responding, or exhibiting memory about injuries, or adjusting their growth based on surrounding conditions yet-to-come. The implications of this (along with other bountiful observations/experiences in life) indicate that there does not have to be a brain and an ego: the human understanding of brain-consciousness [b]isn't the only type of awareness in nature[/b].

Using this example of plants is just a more common/obvious demonstration of a different kind of awareness (beyond brain consciousness). Seeing this, why not consider that although the human brain may die/cease, is there really no other field of awareness that we are naturally part of? This is what I meant by the word "awareness" in the February post which you have inexplicably just drummed up and questioned me about. :D:

Lacewing wrote:the human level is full of noise and fabrications that only apply to the human level. When that ends, however, the quality of awareness could shift to something else, if awareness is not limited to the human body.

If you don't like using the word awareness, please say what word you would instead use to describe that which indicates some kind of perception, which does not necessarily require a brain and an ego? If you do not think such perception/awareness is possible, then how do you explain the cooperation and interaction throughout all of nature?
I'm not interested in semantics. "Awareness," is fine if it you are referring to just any biological reaction to internal or external stimuli, like the leaves of a tree turning toward the source of light or an amoeba sensing and ingesting a particle of food. (I'd use sentient, but awareness is fine). But mere biological response is not perception or consciousness, however. (It might be a kind of proto-consciousness, perhaps, inchoate or incipient.)

Consciousness begins with perception, the actual direct experience and recognition of entities by means of their perceivable attributes (seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, and tasting). A tree may be, "aware," of the sun's light and heat by, "sensing," (biologically responding to) it, but it cannot perceive (recognize) the sun.

But even for biological awareness, there is none sans organisms, and certainly no consciousness exist except as an attribute of organisms with perception.

[What in the world, "ego," has to do with any of this baffles me. I wish Freud had never invented that meaningless word. He and Anna cursed the world with whole thausaurus of perverse deceptive concepts.]

I doubt you will agree with this view. Just explaining mine, not criticizing yours.
I believe she may have been referring to your Egotism. Sometimes it can cause one to assert more than they're actually capable. Possibly???
mmaterialwon

Re: The Absolute Impossibility of Nothingness - ever

Post by mmaterialwon »

I agree that nothingness is impossible, and why? Nothingness does not exist, so why discuss it? Nothing, like time, is among the concepts with rampant usage with no existence. Either something exists or nothing exists, but nothing does not exist; therefore, something exists.