Contingency

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Contingency

Post by tbieter »

contingent., adj.
1. that which can be or can not be other than it is; that which happens to be actual. 2. that which is changeable or perishable in being, disposition, or operation. 3. that which is an indifferent or non-necessary means; hence, the object of a free judgment. 4. that which can fail in its proper or intended effect. 5. that which is not necessarily or essentially true; that which is only historically real and true. Ant. necessary. Dictionary of Scholastic Philosophy, Bernard Wuellner, S. j.[/i][/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_eXyhlHaA

If a football or soccer free field goal kick is inherently a contingent event, is it just to criticize the kicker if the kick is missed?

Discuss.
kriswest

Re: Contingency

Post by kriswest »

Discuss?? What are you hoping for? Why not put your opinion first, it would be polite and more social.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

kriswest wrote:Discuss?? What are you hoping for? Why not put your opinion first, it would be polite and more social.
I don't see an obvious defect in the kicker's technique. So there could be another reason for the football veering to the left of the goal. It is possible, I'll argue, that a burst of wind moved the ball at the last second, the wind not being perceptable at ground leve . Therfore I won't criticize where there is a reasonable doubt.
What is your position?l.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

tbieter wrote:
kriswest wrote:Discuss?? What are you hoping for? Why not put your opinion first, it would be polite and more social.
I don't see an obvious defect in the kicker's technique. So there could be another reason for the football veering to the left of the goal. It is possible, I'll argue, that a burst of wind moved the ball at the last second, the wind not being perceptable at ground leve . Therfore I won't criticize where there is a reasonable doubt.
What is your position?l.
I suspect that blaming "climate change" would work for many people.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I tendered a definition, fact situation, and question - all brief to facilitate rhe reader's attention. I thought that the tender would provoke thought on a forum devoted to philosophy.

My tender was intentionally open-ended. I was not hoping for anything in particular. Initially, I did not intend to present an argument. I wanted a maximum of responses.

A question: Why did you not think about the tender and reply responsively? Instead, you choose to insult me. What is your justification for your response?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

tbieter wrote:I don't see an obvious defect in the kicker's technique. So there could be another reason for the football veering to the left of the goal. It is possible, I'll argue, that a burst of wind moved the ball at the last second, the wind not being perceptable at ground leve . Therfore I won't criticize where there is a reasonable doubt.
What is your position?l.
Presumably, then, if it had been on target the kicker wouldn't deserve any credit for it. I'm assuming your principle works both ways.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Harbal wrote:
tbieter wrote:I don't see an obvious defect in the kicker's technique. So there could be another reason for the football veering to the left of the goal. It is possible, I'll argue, that a burst of wind moved the ball at the last second, the wind not being perceptable at ground leve . Therfore I won't criticize where there is a reasonable doubt.
What is your position?l.
Presumably, then, if it had been on target the kicker wouldn't deserve any credit for it. I'm assuming your principle works both ways.
Good point. I'll have to think some. But, right now I must attend to the Packer-Cardinal playoff game.
kriswest

Post by kriswest »

My position is:
The kicker entered the game knowing and accepting that he/she could get criticized or applauded. Accepting this makes it acceptable to criticize a missed goal. It is part of the game that players must deal with.
No insult intended just a query.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Harbal wrote:
What is your position?l.
I asked the wrong question at the start of this thread. It is obvious that a field goal attempted kick is a contingent event. It will be either a successful or an unsuccessful kick.

The correct and more fundamental question is:

What cause or causes resulted in Blair Walsh's missed field goal?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

tbieter wrote:contingent., adj.
1. that which can be or can not be other than it is; that which happens to be actual. 2. that which is changeable or perishable in being, disposition, or operation. 3. that which is an indifferent or non-necessary means; hence, the object of a free judgment. 4. that which can fail in its proper or intended effect. 5. that which is not necessarily or essentially true; that which is only historically real and true. Ant. necessary. Dictionary of Scholastic Philosophy, Bernard Wuellner, S. j.[/i]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_eXyhlHaA

If a football or soccer free field goal kick is inherently a contingent event, is it just to criticize the kicker if the kick is missed?

Discuss.
[/quote]

The contingency or not of a missed kick is not relevant to blame. A missed kick is always held to be the responsibiltiy of the kicker.
Which version of contingency, do you wish to offer here?