Can words affect reality?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Frequently, critics of President Obama assert that, instead of action, he gives a speech and expects that his words will change reality. The critics don't elaborate. Nor do the Obama defenders. As a realist, I find this curious.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Can words affect reality?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

tbieter wrote:Can words affect reality?
Frequently, critics of President Obama assert that, instead of action, he gives a speech and expects that his words will change reality. The critics don't elaborate. Nor do the Obama defenders. As a realist, I find this curious.
Word can change reality.
But a powerless President does not get things done by just speaking. Nonetheless the extend of the reach of those words is so great that it cannot fail to change - and I mean make physical changes in the minds of billions who hear him.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Words spoken by the heads of federal reserves make a difference. So do the words of treasurers. As do the words of national leaders.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Greta wrote:Words spoken by the heads of federal reserves make a difference. So do the words of treasurers. As do the words of national leaders.
...only to the extent that we believe what they say, which to our disgrace is most of the time. The elite of the world don't usually have a hard time in accomplishing this. They only need a 'trifle' more intelligence to convince the rest of society.

It depends upon the ability of the speaker, or the authority they have, to convey credibility upon that which when properly analyzed is not really credible as a just cause. Like shoals of fish the masses immediately subrogate themselves to whoever employs the most potent means to convince not unlike Mark Anthony's speech to the commons after Caesar's assassination. There's a reason why propaganda is an art.
Skip

Post by Skip »

A single word: "Charge!" from a brain-damaged general called G.A. Custer changed reality for some 1500 warriors and their families.
A similar word from any president, prime minister or grand poo-bah of even a tiny nation would change the realities of millions of people.

But I have a notion this isn't what you meant.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Only if the reality under concern is that of a language using consciousness and it's the same language.
duszek

Post by duszek »

At a wedding ceremony the spouses to be are asked "do you wish to marry this person" and they say "I do" and they are declared husband and wife.

This is a new reality.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

duszek wrote:At a wedding ceremony the spouses to be are asked "do you wish to marry this person" and they say "I do" and they are declared husband and wife.

This is a new reality.
As the result of an action word per J l Austin. I agree in part I and in a certain sense.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

some words are double plus good

some words (and their ideas) are purged

obey

-Imp
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote:
Greta wrote:Words spoken by the heads of federal reserves make a difference. So do the words of treasurers. As do the words of national leaders.
...only to the extent that we believe what they say, which to our disgrace is most of the time.
In other words, yes, words often do affect reality. Money relies on belief too and it surely affects people's realities.
Skip

Post by Skip »

In this context, you have to wonder what each of them considers appropriate.
The critics would prefer action to speech? Would they like him to pick up a gun, hop on a jet and go someplace to shoot somebody? Would they like him to sign a cheque? Would they like him to pick flowers? No. They would like him to give an order - and they probably have a particular command in mind - which would force, authorize or allow other people to take some kind of action. So.... words. His job is to head up the administrative branch of government, which is all about communication.

The defenders don't elaborate, because they already know the man is just doing his job.
No concerted action is possible without an idea, which forms into a plan through the process of thought and consultation, and then must be organized by communicating. Words are the medium whereby ideas are turned into action.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sure, words affect reality. It comes from the top.

Lying promises from a trainee, aka Fearless Leader, can set the example for children and fence sitters to grab all you can while you can, and screw the ethics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WS5B19LC4

“You give me this office and in turn my fears, doubts, insecurities, foibles, need for sleep, family life, vacations, leisure, is gone. I am giving myself to you and the American people should have no patience for whatever’s going through your head because you’ve got a job to do … blah blah blah.”

With great Indignation and gravitas comes the Lawyerly Defense …

- My client didn’t spend one thin dime of public funds on personal pleasure!

- First of all, dimes are uniform in size. A thin dime would necessarily be thin in relation to other dimes. If my client spent a dime that was thin in relation to other dimes, then it would be counterfeit. And my client swears to all that is holy by any man, that he would never knowingly pass off legal tender of the United States of America as counterfeit! (applause)

- No, he didn't spend one thin dime. He spent trillions of uniform dimes! (gasp) Yes, that is the scale at which this man lives. And you presume to judge. (spoken not with bitterness, but sadness)

- Furthermore, my client was speaking of the nature of the office and the demands of the office. He merely said he could imagine himself doing that. Also, he was speaking of known conditions in the world at the moment of speaking, and certainly cannot be blamed for not precisely describing future conditions in which such notions may apply. After all, who among us can say what the fates hold in store for any man, let alone humanity, or the demands of the office? My God, it turned the man's hair white! None of us have walked in those shoes.

- Nevermind the body language that stands out like a sore earlobe when he speaks of his family that does actually resemble him. And the fact that we could imagine most women slapping their husbands when called “forbearing” speaks of his bravery to risk serious arms assault, and of their fervent but private marital wish to have not two, but four. And certainly any decent human being on the face of the earth can respect the private wishes of The One so, hummm, thoughtful.

blah blah blah

300 truncated digital missives indicate that it is time for a tune.

Just Like you Imagined
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaI2qTpsgu0

(at 1:23 my client speaks to what he did, and can you not hear the truth in it?)
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Language describes reality instead of affecting it and that is because it is an abstract so is not real
And the same can be said of mathematics except there the signifiers are numbers instead of words
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Words from God can affect your reality. They can be positive AND negative - they can seriously affect your emotions.
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote:Words from God can affect your reality. They can be positive AND negative - they can seriously affect your emotions.
They can also help along the realization that you are not this body only. From the time they could walk, I’ve addressed my children as Miss and Sir, and I didn't name my boys Sue. Later came Ma’am for the ladies. And I always told them the good things they were doing, and why what they were doing is good. Something amazing happened. They did what I said, they are happy, and they are strong. Since they were the oldest cousins, their aunts and uncles looked to them as role models for their own. And so it goes.