Where is "here"?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

raw_thought

Re: Where is "here"?

Post by raw_thought »

raw_thought wrote:But anyway, back to something more interesting. Since distance is an illusion (according to you) do you believe that seperation is an illusion and only one thing exists.
I will leave you with that. I'll be back! :lol:
To quote the terminator.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

raw_thought wrote:Logical positivism= the belief that if a proposition is not EMPIRICAL and/or analytical it is nonsense.
It says nothing about the map being the territory.
Logical positivism by its own definition is nonsense! Its central proposition is neither empirical or analytical.
And this.
Your definition of logical positivism is not the accepted definition.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

raw_thought wrote:Actually, Cantor proved the opposite. A finite line segment contains irrational numbers and so is a higher aleph than rational numbers.
Tell me how an irrational number can be applied to a physical system.
raw_thought wrote:And Bohr, Schrodinger, Heisenberg....etc that accept QM are stupid also. Whatever.
Not one of these guys claimed that QM was a representation of a physically real world.
raw_thought wrote:Nearly all physicists reject QM????
Would you care to name a few who haven't expressed the view that QM will be superseded by a unification model? In fact if you just name ONE prominent physicist who would suggest otherwise I'd be quite impressed.
raw_thought wrote:Your definition of logical positivism is not the accepted definition.
It is exactly how logical positivism is to be interpreted in physics where there are still a few dinosaurs who will say that our universe can only be understood in the language of mathematics. This quite unambiguously means that the map is assumed to be synonymous with the territory and it is plain fucking STUPID, as Ptolemy discovered. It means you can only ever build onto an existing model no matter how ridiculous it is and that's exactly what physics has been trying to do for the last century.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Actually, they all say that QM is complete.
Anyway, calling people names (flucking stupid) is hardly a appropriate debate style. I will return when you calm down. Bye!
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

The TOE ( grand unification ) is the holy grail of physics for all physicists.
TOE (theory of everything ).
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Do you know why the Copernican revolution overthrew the Ptolemaic cosmology?

You may be laboring under the false impression that this occurred because the heliocentric model is true and the geocentric one is false but this is bollocks. Neither is either more nor less true than the other. The reason why the heliocentric model was preferred was because it was a better fit for the evidence and it was therefore simpler. That's all. Science is simply not designed to ascribe a truth value to its statements, something which any philosopher of science can tell you.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why we couldn't have put a man on the moon by using Ptolemy's cosmological model and we could have sent the Horizon mission to Pluto as well. I shudder to think what the equations might have looked like but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why this couldn't have been done. If you don't believe me ask any physicist because this might give you an idea of the status of a physical theory.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

I remember telling my wife how philosophy sites are an interesting meld of sophistication and immaturity. You know nothing about Kant's catagorical imperative, you stupid poopy head! :lol:
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Gee, I did not know that the earth is not the center of the solar system! :lol:
Anyway, I thought you had calmed down. Obviously I was wrong. I'll be back, tomorrow!
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Good grief! I am addicted to debate! Seriously, last post until tomorrow!!!
Irrational numbers are used in physics all the time. Even the square root of a negative number is used!!!!
Just because our homimid brain cannot comprehend a square root of a negative number does not mean that they do not describe reality. Just ask an electrical engineer!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

raw_thought wrote:The TOE ( grand unification ) is the holy grail of physics for all physicists.
This is hardly breaking news to me since I've spent my entire life developing such a unification model. What's more I claim to have done it because this was never a problem of physics. If it had been then some clever geek would have figured it out before I was even born. The ToE was always a metaphysical problem as well as a meta-mathematical one because Leibniz was right and Newton was just plain WRONG. The Cartesian space is a mathematical object and not a physical one and this is something I can prove.

I suggest you read my synopsis before arguing any further because in my culture it is regarded as ungentlemanly to criticise somebody's words before reading them.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

raw_thought wrote:Just because our homimid brain cannot comprehend a square root of a negative number does not mean that they do not describe reality.
An irrational number does not describe reality and I defy you to name a single physicist who claims that it does. An irrational number is a mathematical tool, just like a negative number. A negative number does not describe reality either.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Obvious Leo wrote:An explanation which explains everything is an explanation which explains nothing
See my next post
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Obvious Leo wrote:
raw_thought wrote:The TOE ( grand unification ) is the holy grail of physics for all physicists.
This is hardly breaking news to me since I've spent my entire life developing such a unification model.
TOE = theory of everything, in other words an explanation for everything.
Last edited by raw_thought on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

Since there can't be anything outside Totality a completed block universe of eternalism with both extant past and future couldn't have been constructed, leaving Totality having to transform itself at each 'now' of presentism without the future or the past existing, which is also because time is intermittent, that is, quantized, and not continuous.

So there is no ‘place’. Space does not exist. Only ‘here’ exists. Everywhere you are is ‘here’. There cannot be anything but ‘here’, and it’s just the fact that ‘here’ looks different depending on what happens across time that causes people to think that ‘there’ is a coherent concept.

There is no length or width or height, because after all you can never reach out to them. It's always only the inside of 'you' that is known and 'seen'. ‘Across the room’ doesn’t exist, it’s an illusion one gets by mistaking the progression of heres for being an implication of a there.

Our reality is a succession of heres across time, and that is all there is to it, as the ultimate simplicity.
Last edited by PoeticUniverse on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

So if I say my house is 50 feet tall, that is meaningless because height does not exist? There is also no such thing as volume (my house takes up this amount of space) because space does not exist?
Since distance is an illusion then all is one. There is only one object in the universe and it has no height, depth or width! I disagree.