Ontological Orchestrations

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greylorn Ell

Re: Ontological Orchestrations

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Ginkgo wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote:
BTW, a serious student of metaphysics might refer to the subject as "antephysics," even without knowing a word of the Greek language. Do you know why? Or, does anyone?
I am guessing it has something to do with a study that existed before science. That is to say, modern science, rather than natural science.
Ginkgo,
I appreciate your willingness to tackle this.

Aristotle's thoughts about physics were mixed, confused, and almost entirely incorrect, but because he was a brilliant bullshit artist, he acquired a following, including students.

After his demise some of them undertook the project of gathering up his ideas and categorizing them. They put his ideas about physics into a single category, and got most of them in the right box. Aristotle was smart enough to realize that the physics he (incorrectly) wrote about was preceded by more fundamental events, or precursed by fundamental properties that he could not determine. But being an arrogant person, as I can appreciate, Aristotle freely wrote about those properties anyway. Those properties of reality necessarily preceded the actual reality, the physics he sought to describe. The Greek word "ante" means "before." Therefore his musings about pre-physical reality should have been labeled, "antephysics."

But Aristotle's students could hardly have been smarter than the teacher from whom they chose to learn a lot of bullshit. After categorizing his antephysical musings, they published them after his physics stuff. "Meta" is Greek for "after," so those musings became known by their sequential arrangement in ancient literature, rather than from their actual place in the context of ideas.

Greylorn
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

mtmynd1 wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote: IMO your final paragraph could be the most concise presentation of meaningless religious tripe ever assembled. Congratulations.

Greylorn
Indeed, Greylorn, it is your opinion. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Why do you choose to show yours within a public forum?
Well, dipshit, if you were truly the mighty-mind that you imply in your pseudonym, you could have figured that out. Since you are merely another only-child accustomed to 20 or 30 years of doting parents admiring every word emitted from your mouth, I'll explain.

I'm just trying to wake you up, and discourage you from posting TV derived crap on a public forum and expecting it to be as roundly admired as the bullshit that your parents, with half of your IQ between them, have tolerated. Welcome to the real world, where you might encounter an occasional individual with a 3-digit IQ.

Study the subjects that interest you, discuss them with teachers who know more than you do, and after about twenty years of that process, you will be qualified. Right now, you are just another ignorant dipshit who wastes the time of others with meaningless posts. But you are young. You can grow. Not by replying to criticism with the reactive manners of a street thug or a liberal.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Name-calling is degrading to the member who is calling the derogatory names, to the member being called those names, and to the membership as a whole.

There is no place for name-calling in philosophy; REAL philosophy by actual philosophers.

I'm kind-of like an honorary, non-appointed Moderator here during the weekends while the real Moderators go on expensive, luxurious mini-vacations from the cash they receive from this site. Flat-out name-calling demeans us all. Add some intellect to it - remove the unabridged emotion. Infuse some creativity to your critiques.

Give it a try...critique this post in an intellectual and creative way. Don't let the fact that I am the most respected philosopher here at The Forum intimidate you.

mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Ginkgo wrote: Assuming there exists somewhere some type of unchanging reality.
The reality is acceptance in perpetual change that is the unchanging phenomenon.
Ginkgo wrote:Blame Plato for that bit.
You certainly can't put the finger of blame upon anyone voicing belief in metaphysics and expect to be taken seriously.
mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Greylorn Ell wrote: Well, dipshit, if you were truly the mighty-mind that you imply in your pseudonym, you could have figured that out. Since you are merely another only-child accustomed to 20 or 30 years of doting parents admiring every word emitted from your mouth, I'll explain.
Ahh! one must admire such anger as proof positive of one's ability to comprehend a simpleness such as "mtmynd1" somehow equates with "mighty-mind" !! A closer look, my troubled friend, will reveal the fact "mtmynd1" is nothing more and certainly nothing less! than an extremely clever way of saying "empty mind won." But I wouldn't expect some as spiteful as you would like to appear on this board as having the decency and even self-respect to apologize for such an idiotic accusation mixed with the further needless comment of "dipshit". How mother-fucking juvenile of you, "Greylorn Ell".
Greylorn Ell wrote:I'm just trying to wake you up, and discourage you from posting TV derived crap on a public forum and expecting it to be as roundly admired as the bullshit that your parents, with half of your IQ between them, have tolerated. Welcome to the real world, where you might encounter an occasional individual with a 3-digit IQ.
Thank you "G.E." for bringing my parents into the fold here. My last living parent, a mother mind you, who gave birth to moi, lived a wonderful and rich 96 years and passed peacefully in 2003... about the time you experienced your first erection in bewilderment.

As far as bring numbers into this original post of mine, you continue to prove to me (and many other readers) that you are desperate to acknowledge that you really do know *something" but writing how many numbers validate your worth. Wow! Three numbers worth!! That and a dollar will buy you a chuckle at your next interview for employment.
Greylorn Ell wrote:Study the subjects that interest you, discuss them with teachers who know more than you do, and after about twenty years of that process, you will be qualified. Right now, you are just another ignorant dipshit who wastes the time of others with meaningless posts. But you are young. You can grow. Not by replying to criticism with the reactive manners of a street thug or a liberal.
You're stuck on the word "dipshit". Too bad. I'd really like to have worthwhile discussions on these boards but it never fails when some ignoramus just *has to* let their presence be known to all who stumble upon their needless opinions.

Let's talk a wee bit more when you graduate from anger management class. You might be better equipped to handle the world in a matter of a civilized hu'man being.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

mtmynd1 wrote: The reality is acceptance in perpetual change that is the unchanging phenomenon.
This is just one possible solution. It all depends on the metaphysician you choose to consult. If you are talking about the physical world then Aristotle would disagree.
mtmynd1 wrote:
You certainly can't put the finger of blame upon anyone voicing belief in metaphysics and expect to be taken seriously.
The problem in the 21 century is people voicing metaphysical solutions and the ensuing struggle to be taken seriously. Times change.
mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Ginkgo wrote:
mtmynd1 wrote: The reality is acceptance in perpetual change that is the unchanging phenomenon.
This is just one possible solution. It all depends on the metaphysician you choose to consult. If you are talking about the physical world then Aristotle would disagree.

I am not talking about what Aristotle would agree to or not. I am talking about what I believe! I wrote the essay, not Aristotle, even though he was influential to what I had to say. I do not pretend to be anyone other than who I am.

You speak of "solutions" because you've been subjected to solutions and not anything concrete that you, yourself, can believe in.

If we choose to let those from the past decide our answers, we would never obtain such answers. We'd be far to busy going from one person's opinion to another... like a game of cards. Whatever the shuffle gives us, we play it.

But what we are, our very Being, is no game. What we are is not in some others text explaining what or who we are. That is an exercise in futility, especially if we know who we are.

What I have written is something that is a part of me.. it is not what I only 'think' but what I believe in... it's my life. There is no further argument I have with myself regarding what I have written. It is not any one person's belief that I follow, but rather a belief that I have experienced first hand. Experience of a subject, any subject begins with study followed by experiment (experience), and concludes with a realization that what we have experienced to be true/fact IS now a part of us. If we doubt that experience, we move forward. Why dally and argue, debate and contemplate over something over and over and over and still find no conclusive answers? We find them by knowing ourselves... how to understand our instinct, our thinking and the interpretation of such thinking.

To much intellect and not enough intelligence makes Jack a dull boy.
mtmynd1 wrote:
The problem in the 21 century is people voicing metaphysical solutions and the ensuing struggle to be taken seriously. Times change.
If that is the most alarming problem in our 21st C, then we are in pretty good shape. Unfortunately that is not the case. We are drowning in a deluge of information based upon opinions and nary a hint of wisdom can be found in 98.6% of the talk we hear and contribute to on a daily basis.

We, hu'manity, has been so immersed in others nonsense that it is increasingly more difficult to find any real answers to our more important questions. We are alive but not living.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Your last three sentences ARE SOOOOO TRUE.

mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Your last three sentences ARE SOOOOO TRUE.
Thank you, Willie Wiltrack!! I do appreciate it, amigo. ;)
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

mtmynd1 wrote:
I am not talking about what Aristotle would agree to or not. I am talking about what I believe! I wrote the essay, not Aristotle, even though he was influential to what I had to say. I do not pretend to be anyone other than who I am.\
Fair enough. But you dis say,"the reality" rather than "my reality"
mtmynd1 wrote: We, hu'manity, has been so immersed in others nonsense that it is increasingly more difficult to find any real answers to our more important questions. We are alive but not living.
Yes, too many Gnus (UK Arising's definition of the term).
mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Ginkgo wrote: Fair enough. But you dis say,"the reality" rather than "my reality"
My essay, excluding my name and date at the end, was a total of 575 words. You are eager to point out I wrote "the" rather than "my"..! :roll:

Ginko... do me a favor and find yourself another itch to scratch that will really benefit this board.