Can time be infinite?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: Can time be infinite?

Post by uwot »

Lev Muishkin wrote:Sorry no. You can't have that. A point in time is a relationship between the start and the end. If a point in time renders equal values from now onwards, and from now backwards; and that is the same value for each and every point in time then points in time are meaningless; as what comes is infinite, and what has gone is infinite for all points in time.
Plato was on the money about time, in my view, although for all the wrong reasons. He argued, probably in the Timeaus, but I wouldn't swear on it, that the Demiurge created the sun and moon so that we could mark out time. A year is as long as it takes the Earth to orbit the sun, a month is the time it takes the moon to orbit us, a day is the time it takes the Earth to spin on its axis. All times are approximate; the Demiurge is a bit crap. The thing is, there is no way of measuring 'time' that doesn't involve the counting of events. As Einstein predicted, and has been subsequently proven, events happen at different rates according to the velocity and gravity acting on the thing being measured. As it happens, this is the subject of my latest blog (I'll get to gravity) which you can see here: http://willibouwman.blogspot.co.uk/
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

uwot wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:Sorry no. You can't have that. A point in time is a relationship between the start and the end. If a point in time renders equal values from now onwards, and from now backwards; and that is the same value for each and every point in time then points in time are meaningless; as what comes is infinite, and what has gone is infinite for all points in time.
Plato was on the money about time, in my view, although for all the wrong reasons. He argued, probably in the Timeaus, but I wouldn't swear on it, that the Demiurge created the sun and moon so that we could mark out time. A year is as long as it takes the Earth to orbit the sun, a month is the time it takes the moon to orbit us, a day is the time it takes the Earth to spin on its axis. All times are approximate; the Demiurge is a bit crap. The thing is, there is no way of measuring 'time' that doesn't involve the counting of events. As Einstein predicted, and has been subsequently proven, events happen at different rates according to the velocity and gravity acting on the thing being measured. As it happens, this is the subject of my latest blog (I'll get to gravity) which you can see here: http://willibouwman.blogspot.co.uk/
Fine, but is it infinite?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Time is a temporal dimension which requires the existence of flat empty space in order for it to exist since there has to be a medium for it to operate within. Flat empty space would only be so at the classical level however because absolute nothing is forbidden by the laws of physics
[ though it can exist infinitesimally just not permanently so ] And if absolute nothing cannot exist infinitely then it logically follows that time
must exist infinitely too. The only way it could not exist is if permanent absolute nothing was possible at the quantum level. As it is not then
it must infinitely exist. And the model of the Big Bang as the beginning of time is merely one of many. And as such has yet to be determined
Last edited by surreptitious57 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

surreptitious57 wrote:Time is a temporal dimension which requires the existence of flat empty space in order for it to exist for there has to be a medium for it to operate within. Flat empty space would only be
so at the classical level however since absolute nothing is forbidden by the laws of physics [ though it can exist infinitesimally just not permanently so ] And if absolute nothing cannot exist
infinitely then it logically follows that time must exist infinitely too. The only way it could not exist is if permanent absolute nothing was possible at the quantum level. Since it is not then
it must infinitely exist. And the model of the Big Bang as the beginning of time is but one of many and as such has yet to be determined. So if time is indeed infinite then it would be wrong
So time depends on the existence of matter.
Time had a start and, like the rest of the universe is continually expanding, and the present moment is the end of time. As the universe goes on, so time increases it's upper limit, as the days pass.
So we agree that time is finite, and can not therefore be infinite.
surreptitious57

It has yet to be established that the Universe is not infinite so one cannot claim that time is not either
Even if this one is there could be an eternal cycle of Universes within a Multiverse each starting with a
Big Bang and finishing with a Big Crunch. As absolute nothing cannot exist beyond an infinitesimal time
period at the quantum level then something must have always existed and therefore so must have time
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

surreptitious57 wrote:It has yet to be established that the Universe is not infinite so one cannot claim that time is not either
Even if this one is there could be an eternal cycle of Universes within a Multiverse each starting with a
Big Bang and finishing with a Big Crunch. As absolute nothing cannot exist beyond an infinitesimal time
period at the quantum level then something must have always existed and therefore so must have time
It has been established that infinitude is incompatible with reality.
Even if there was never a beginning to time, it could never be established that it could never end. You could wait until the end of time - but then you'd prove it not to be infinite. So then what- keep on waiting???
Are you following this?
Infinitude in reality is logically meaningless.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:So time depends on the existence of matter.
Time had a start and, like the rest of the universe is continually expanding, and the present moment is the end of time. As the universe goes on, so time increases it's upper limit, as the days pass.
So we agree that time is finite, and can not therefore be infinite.
Please go read what Time really is, instead of this medieval superstition!
surreptitious57

There Are Three Definitions Of Time / One : The Passing Of An
Event / Two : The Passing Of A Thought / Three : The Distance
Between Events / Event Is Here Defined As A Point In Spacetime
Last edited by surreptitious57 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
uwot

Post by uwot »

HexHammer wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:The Three Definitions Of Time

One : The Passing Of An Event

Two : The Passing Of A Thought

Three : The Distance Between Events

An Event Is Defined As A Point In Spacetime
This is pure nonsense and babble that comes straight from fairytale land, please go read up on a scientific article that deals with time, instead of fabricating retarded shit!
In my view, time is a sequence of events (and doesn't start with a capital). As I have explained in my blog ( http://willibouwman.blogspot.co.uk/ ) events happen at different rates according to your velocity. I haven't got to the influence of gravity yet. One thing at a time.
Anyway, Mr Hammer, can you recommend an article that expresses your view of time? Do you, in fact, have one?
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

There is no such thing as time! Show me time.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

uwot wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:The Three Definitions Of Time

One : The Passing Of An Event

Two : The Passing Of A Thought

Three : The Distance Between Events

An Event Is Defined As A Point In Spacetime
This is pure nonsense and babble that comes straight from fairytale land, please go read up on a scientific article that deals with time, instead of fabricating retarded shit!
In my view, time is a sequence of events (and doesn't start with a capital). As I have explained in my blog ( http://willibouwman.blogspot.co.uk/ ) events happen at different rates according to your velocity. I haven't got to the influence of gravity yet. One thing at a time.
Anyway, Mr Hammer, can you recommend an article that expresses your view of time? Do you, in fact, have one?
I agree your blog is a good place to start. Einstein's equations explain what is happening very nicely. When you accelerate in space you get a curve. The longer the time the further you go. An important reason why GPS systems work in relation to four dimensional space/time.

Looking at time as something other than a dimension will probably be settled by quantum mechanics sometime in the future.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:There is no such thing as time! Show me time.
I'll tell you later!!
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
I'll tell you later!!
Very clever Mr Muishkin.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

Ginkgo wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
I'll tell you later!!
Very clever Mr Muishkin.
Thank you!
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
I'll tell you later!!
So you 'see' with your 'ears', do you?