Is spacetime a "substance" or not?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jackles

Re: Is spacetime a "substance" or not?

Post by jackles »

Spacetime has got to be the effect of a priciple on energy.which came first though the principle or the energy.or did the principle and the energy happen together at the same moment.thus allowing momentum which is energy in the timespace fabric principle.
jackles

Post by jackles »

I think time space is caused by a principle to energy .so when energy was. the principle of energy caused time space fabric .thus making a moment for momentum.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

jackles wrote:Spacetime has got to be the effect of a priciple on energy.
Maybe it is, but I don't see that it has got to be. As Descartes showed, the only thing that definitely exists are sensations. It is probable that conscious beings, you and me for example, exist. The simplest explanation for the sensations we have is some stuff that causes them, matter/energy. It certainly looks as though matter/energy behaves in predictable, or at least statistically predictable, ways, and it does seem that we can recognise patterns and create formulae that describe this behaviour to a sometimes astonishing degree of accuracy. It doesn't follow from the fact that we can do so, that energy therefore is acting according to principles. I said in another thread that your thinking is Pythagorean, it is more commonly described as Platonic. Plato believed that principles exist in the world of 'forms' and that this world, because it is perfect and eternal (2+2 will always equal 4, for example) is more real than the world of matter and energy that we find ourselves in. So you are in very good company, but, in my view, probably wrong.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Yes i didnt put it over very well.what i was getting at was a happening event in terms of time as a size or a duration must be the warping of sizeless condition by a differential.so time space is a diffential in never happened.so the happening differential is an illusion.relative to never can happen sizelessness.or to put it in more simple terms.locality is a differential in nolocality.time is a local. warped from nonlocal.hope that makes some sence.regs jackles