The universe expands ...

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: The universe expands ...

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

tillingborn wrote:
tillingborn wrote:It's true that we can only see so much, but nearly everything we can see looks like it is moving away; suggesting that the visible universe is expanding.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:But I understand consequence that would make it seem so, due to the limitations of our visual frame of reference, but not actually be so, which only seeing the entire universe would illuminate.
The trouble is, we cannot see the whole universe, but (nearly) everything that we can see is red shifted, strongly suggesting it is moving away. Who knows what goes on beyond what we can see? There is no harm speculating, but if ideas cannot be shown to make any phenomenal difference, what difference does it make if you believe that just beyond the horizon is a much larger multiverse that in fact is collapsing, or that the visible universe is really this kid Jake's bubblegum and matter is his smelly breath?
The graphic I created, found below, is a hypothetical universe, not meant to reflect the truth of the matter, but rather to propose an alternate possibility, to the one most currently believed. The object of the graphic is to show how our current, 'limited visual perspective,' that exists within a possible, much larger, actual truth, gives way to that current accepted belief. Feel free to, in your mind, move the yellow sphere that represents our current visual 'known' universe around so as to see how a varying position, yields a completely different picture as to whether the universe is in fact expanding, contracting or is static. Or quickly you can note 'planet X's perspective, as to positions impact on perspective.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND AS YOU THINK ABOUT THE GRAPHIC:
1) That light from stars, if they in fact be seen as Doppler shifted towards the red, must be opening our relative position, and that conversely, stars that are closing our relative position are blue Doppler shifted.

2) That as to stars opening and closing, the relative positions of stars amongst spinning galaxies, ours, (the milky way), and the other galaxy in question, that exhibit either red or blue shifted colors could be attributed to the relative spin between the two galaxies.

3) That if a big bang happened, the rate of speed of all matter, from it's origin, would on average be constant, from that central point, depending of course, upon density, of said matter/particles, and it's position within such a singularity at the moment of the explosion, such that largely the speeds of all galaxies, of a given bang, would see little variance between themselves, along a specific trajectory, of a given radius of an omnidirectional expansion, and that, Doppler shift may in fact be largely born of the variance of the rays ever widening, of stars on differing trajectories, of an omnidirectional blast.

4) That the light from the majority of the stars that we can currently see started traveling from their point of origin long before mankind ever existed, meaning that you could be seeing so called red shift of a star that existed thousands to millions of years ago, such that one is not seeing what is currently happening, but rather what has happened in the distant past, as that star that is red shifted could today not even exist.

5) That stars go supernova, exploding omnidirectionally (<- apparently, I made up this form of the word), which would increase the observed speed of emitted particles along it's trajectory on one side of the explosion, whilst it would seemingly slow particles in the opposite direction, relative to the bang, and create trajectories perpendicular to the original bang trajectories, and every vector in between, such that with each supernova, or maybe 'superduper nova' (the point being that we do not necessarily know of the full extent capable of nova, especially further back in time, when the universe was smaller, more dense), and while one could say that the speeds achieved via nova could never counteract that of the bang, it surely clouds the perception as to expansion or contraction of the universe, as to what, so called, red/blue shift indicates.

6) That stars have varying colors, some are reddwarfs, yellowdwarfs, blue hypergiants, redsupergiants, redhypergiants. Can one distinguish between blue and red stars natural colors, and that of shifted red and blue? There are even stars beyond red.

7) I also see that as to size, distance and variable luminance, one is required to calculate the other, with multiple unknowns, how can one be certain of any measurement.

I at least can see that there are far too many possible unknown variables, for anyone on earth to say with certainty, what the entirety of the universe/multiverse, that we are currently incapable of seeing, in it's entirety, is currently doing, and that any assertion as to the truth of the matter, is simply conjecture. That any unknown that is presumed to be known, when it's not, yields further misconception.

Place the yellow sphere, on top of the green bang origin to see everything shifted red.

I'm also not convinced that, so called, absorption/emission lines are indicative of that which is proclaimed, and not a results of something else. It could be an aberration found in the optics, some funky dark matter.

I just find that the extreme distances of time, actual expanse of the universe, and geometrical relative movements, as opposed to the unknown relative size of our limited visual perspective, precludes clarity of knowledge as to the current state of the universe, in it's entirety, and that we merely speculate within the confines of our current limited visual horizon.

P.S. I forgot to add arrows on the perimeter of the rectangle, pointing in and out so as to indicate either an expansion or contraction of the universe, as it's pictured now, without arrows, is that of a static uni/multiverse, so that one could see even more clearly how the relative position of our current visual horizon, precludes the possible understanding of the truth of the uni/multiverse's current status.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Thank you SpheresOfBalance for the graphic. I'm trying to get get my head round it, but I need some clarification:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
1) That light from stars, if they in fact be seen as Doppler shifted towards the red, must be opening our relative position, and that conversely, stars that are closing our relative position are blue Doppler shifted.
I don't understand "opening our relative position".
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I at least can see that there are far too many possible unknown variables, for anyone on earth to say with certainty, what the entirety of the universe/multiverse, that we are currently incapable of seeing, in it's entirety, is currently doing, and that any assertion as to the truth of the matter, is simply conjecture. That any unknown that is presumed to be known, when it's not, yields further misconception.
You're not alone. Philosophers of science appreciate that for all that observations are measurable and repeatable any claim about the cause, underlying reality, if you like, is as you say 'simply conjecture'. Most scientists to be fair, know this, which is why they refer to their conjectures as theories and hypotheses. They will change their mind if they have too; some are more conservative and will not enjoy being told they are wrong; others being more sanguine are better disposed to accept the evidence as presented. Deep down though,they all know, as Richard Feynman said "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." People who claim to know things that are contradicted by empirical evidence are cranks, religious nutters or as I intimated earlier, pathologically conservative.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I just find that the extreme distances of time, actual expanse of the universe, and geometrical relative movements, as opposed to the unknown relative size of our limited visual perspective, precludes clarity of knowledge as to the current state of the universe, in it's entirety, and that we merely speculate within the confines of our current limited visual horizon.
Damn right, but scientists have to share their speculations with other scientists, some of whom might like the idea and be prepared to work with it, others will be determined to prove it wrong, but none of them will say yup, that's the answer, now we know everything, because they would be laughed at.
SpheresOfBalance

tillingborn wrote:Thank you SpheresOfBalance for the graphic. I'm trying to get get my head round it, but I need some clarification:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:1) That light from stars, if they in fact be seen as Doppler shifted towards the red, must be opening our relative position, and that conversely, stars that are closing our relative position are blue Doppler shifted.
I don't understand "opening our relative position".
Sorry, I sometimes forget myself with respect to jargon, I worked with the US DOD for 16 years, specifically utilizing both Doppler Shift and Electromagnetic Energy emission and detection for various purposes, and that was their term used to specify that two objects are getting 'close'r together, they were "closing," 'their' relative positions. if they were getting farther apart, they were 'opening' their relative positions.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I at least can see that there are far too many possible unknown variables, for anyone on earth to say with certainty, what the entirety of the universe/multiverse, that we are currently incapable of seeing, in it's entirety, is currently doing, and that any assertion as to the truth of the matter, is simply conjecture. That any unknown that is presumed to be known, when it's not, yields further misconception.
You're not alone. Philosophers of science appreciate that for all that observations are measurable and repeatable any claim about the cause, underlying reality, if you like, is as you say 'simply conjecture'. Most scientists to be fair, know this, which is why they refer to their conjectures as theories and hypotheses. They will change their mind if they have too; some are more conservative and will not enjoy being told they are wrong; others being more sanguine are better disposed to accept the evidence as presented. Deep down though,they all know, as Richard Feynman said "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." People who claim to know things that are contradicted by empirical evidence are cranks, religious nutters or as I intimated earlier, pathologically conservative.
Yes I know exactly what you mean, but in this case no experiment is possible, as my point is that the limited range of our 'known' universe, necessarily precludes a true understanding of either expansion/contraction, with certainty, yet I see those talking about it, as though it's a given. This is a falsehood, as we have always taken what which we've seen, thought about possibility based on our observations, and finally worked up and applied a mathematical model, that supports those observations. The fact that a mathematical model supports one possibility, especially in this particular case, of limited observation, as my graphic clearly indicates, doesn't necessarily have anything to say, of the truth of it.

As to your point on theories, I understand, but you and I both know that despite the fact that a theory is conjecture, albeit, one that is highly 'educated,' relative to our current level of understanding, many see them as factual, case in point, Einsteins Theory of Relativity and SToR, most speak of them, contextually as factual, and they're not, necessarily.

As to theories and their supporting experiments, I also see a problem with the time dilation experiments. I see that the evidence that is attributed to some experiments, is suspect, due to the lack of sufficient controls during the experiments, at least I see that they're not strict enough; that the experiment cannot be sufficiently isolated, so as to remove other potential causes, yet the theory stands, seemingly only due to the believed power, of so called, authority.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I just find that the extreme distances of time, actual expanse of the universe, and geometrical relative movements, as opposed to the unknown relative size of our limited visual perspective, precludes clarity of knowledge as to the current state of the universe, in it's entirety, and that we merely speculate within the confines of our current limited visual horizon.
Damn right, but scientists have to share their speculations with other scientists, some of whom might like the idea and be prepared to work with it, others will be determined to prove it wrong, but none of them will say yup, that's the answer, now we know everything, because they would be laughed at.
And still people here at PNF speak as though it's factual in nature, which is in fact my point of contention.

Though, old habits die hard, I'm ever attempting to change the way I speak of things, in such a way, so as to account for the actual truth of things, by not attributing certainty, where there is none, so as to be actually clear, as to the facts in the matter. This is largely why I interject in a lot of the threads here on PNF. It tends to anger people, but I see that it's important for them to present with certainty, in a philosophy forum, at least those facts supporting their arguments.
Can you not see my point by, in your mind, moving our little yellow sphere of 'known' universe around the graphic to see it's relative position yield a very different picture as to either a singular big bang or a universe that is either expanding, contracting, or static?
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Yes I know exactly what you mean, but in this case no experiment is possible, as my point is that the limited range of our 'known' universe, necessarily precludes a true understanding of either expansion/contraction, with certainty, yet I see those talking about it, as though it's a given.

This is a falsehood, as we have always taken what which we've seen, thought about possibility based on our observations, and finally worked up and applied a mathematical model, that supports those observations. The fact that a mathematical model supports one possibility, especially in this particular case, of limited observation, as my graphic clearly indicates, doesn't necessarily have anything to say, of the truth of it.

As to your point on theories, I understand, but you and I both know that despite the fact that a theory is conjecture, albeit, one that is highly 'educated,' relative to our current level of understanding, many see them as factual, case in point, Einsteins Theory of Relativity and SToR, most speak of them, contextually as factual, and they're not, necessarily.
I think most people would accept that Wittgenstein had a point when he closed the Tractatus with "Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent", in that if there is no conceivable evidence that could be used in support of a proposition, it is meaningless. If it does not and cannot, even theoretically make any difference to our experience, what is the point? Anything that we cannot disprove might be true. It might be true that god is this bloke with a shaggy white beard and a robe who makes everything happen in such a way that it is impossible for any mortal to detect his interference. I agree that it is a bit sloppy, and misleading, of scientists to talk about their theories as though they were facts, but scientists work within paradigms, we all do. We have a model that is our 'reality', so that, for instance, it is entirely consistent within the paradigm for christians to say to one another, 'Isn't god lovely for sending his only son to save us'. If, like me, you work with a different paradigm, the words make a perfectly coherent sentence, but it doesn't relate to anything I take to be real. Likewise scientists have different paradigms and the fact is that our modern world is based on two which are incompatible, QM and GTR describe the world in completely different ways, but they both work. What scientists say is true within the context of those theories is true within the context of those theories; whether it is true of reality is another matter altogether.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Can you not see my point by, in your mind, moving our little yellow sphere of 'known' universe around the graphic to see it's relative position yield a very different picture as to either a singular big bang or a universe that is either expanding, contracting, or static?
Yes, I can. You may well be right, but the only bit of the universe that is amenable to science is the the yellow sphere.
SpheresOfBalance

tillingborn wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Yes I know exactly what you mean, but in this case no experiment is possible, as my point is that the limited range of our 'known' universe, necessarily precludes a true understanding of either expansion/contraction, with certainty, yet I see those talking about it, as though it's a given.

This is a falsehood, as we have always taken what which we've seen, thought about possibility based on our observations, and finally worked up and applied a mathematical model, that supports those observations. The fact that a mathematical model supports one possibility, especially in this particular case, of limited observation, as my graphic clearly indicates, doesn't necessarily have anything to say, of the truth of it.

I think most people would accept that Wittgenstein had a point when he closed the Tractatus with "Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent", in that if there is no conceivable evidence that could be used in support of a proposition, it is meaningless. If it does not and cannot, even theoretically make any difference to our experience, what is the point? Anything that we cannot disprove might be true. It might be true that god is this bloke with a shaggy white beard and a robe who makes everything happen in such a way that it is impossible for any mortal to detect his interference. I agree that it is a bit sloppy, and misleading, of scientists to talk about their theories as though they were facts, but scientists work within paradigms, we all do. We have a model that is our 'reality', so that, for instance, it is entirely consistent within the paradigm for christians to say to one another, 'Isn't god lovely for sending his only son to save us'. If, like me, you work with a different paradigm, the words make a perfectly coherent sentence, but it doesn't relate to anything I take to be real. Likewise scientists have different paradigms and the fact is that our modern world is based on two which are incompatible, QM and GTR describe the world in completely different ways, but they both work. What scientists say is true within the context of those theories is true within the context of those theories; whether it is true of reality is another matter altogether.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Can you not see my point by, in your mind, moving our little yellow sphere of 'known' universe around the graphic to see it's relative position yield a very different picture as to either a singular big bang or a universe that is either expanding, contracting, or static?
Yes, I can. You may well be right, but the only bit of the universe that is amenable to science is the the yellow sphere.
No no no, you missed the whole point, my position is not to speak of what is. You act as if you had problems understanding what I said. Here it is again, please pay attention: "The object of the graphic is to show how our current, 'limited visual perspective,' that exists within a possible, much larger, actual truth, gives way to that current accepted belief."
My point is what one cannot say. You and your kind "say what is" I shall never do that! As how could I possible know? I'm simply saying that, "no one can say, as if certain," so why entertain it at all, as if one could possibly know. One can't, which I've proven. It's not about me being right, it's about one not being capable of saying whats right, that the popular proposition is full of hot air. Some people and their high horses, sheesh.

Also, you used something against my argument, that more appropriately strikes down yours. If you pay close attention, to the sequence of events, you'll see that as to Wittgenstein's Tractatus, specifically of the line you quoted, "Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent" pertains to those that have said, without proof, that the universe is either expanding, contracting, or static, because the evidence, of an incomplete visual horizon, nay, rather a visual that is not the entirety of the universe, cannot represent that which you have stated. Thus you must remain silent as to red shift being an indicator of anything other than, "it appears that most of the galaxies, that we can see, are opening our relative position." And that's it! Sure it may be proven as one of many indicators one day, that the universe is either E, C or S, but the jury is still out at this point.

Saying something like this:
tillingborn wrote:It's a bit more than speculation. It's true that we can only see so much, but nearly everything we can see looks like it is moving away; suggesting that the visible universe is expanding.
'Whereof, an expanding universe, you cannot speak, therefor you must remain silent' You can only speak of possible opening galaxies.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Saying something like this:
tillingborn wrote:It's a bit more than speculation. It's true that we can only see so much, but nearly everything we can see looks like it is moving away; suggesting that the visible universe is expanding.
'Whereof, an expanding universe, you cannot speak, therefor you must remain silent' You can only speak of possible opening galaxies.
I'm a bit puzzled: I've re-read the above and it still looks to me like I haven't made any claims that I would struggle to defend.
SpheresOfBalance

tillingborn wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Saying something like this:
I'm a bit puzzled: I've re-read the above and it still looks to me like I haven't made any claims that I would struggle to defend.
It does not 'necessarily' suggest any such thing. To say that it may suggest, is acceptable.
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

SOB
The DoD for 16 years?

1. I ask why does DoD have interest in cosmology?
2. To make an antimatter weapon LOL.

ASFAIK DoD has NO interest in anything outside this solar system.. so your argument /info is 'yours' not DoD.
DoD also has little interest in dilation and massive colliders like cern..
they sift the results.. you never know.

my bitch for today

Nikos
SpheresOfBalance

Hjarloprillar wrote:SOB
The DoD for 16 years?

1. I ask why does DoD have interest in cosmology?
2. To make an antimatter weapon LOL.

ASFAIK DoD has NO interest in anything outside this solar system.. so your argument /info is 'yours' not DoD.
DoD also has little interest in dilation and massive colliders like cern..
they sift the results.. you never know.

my bitch for today

Nikos
Well then a dumb son of a bitch you be, reread and pay attention to context numb nuts. I think your cancer is now systemic, affecting you brain. You picked a bad time, boy!
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Does the universe expand then peter out in black hole farm.
Or does it cycle back in and repeat.

THIS is the question.

And most answer from WANT. Not observation.
They WANT this or that.. MUCH LIKE RELIGION.

A paradigm

Nikos
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Well then a dumb son of a bitch you be, reread and pay attention to context numb nuts. I think your cancer is now systemic, affecting you brain. You picked a bad time, boy!

SOB

Could you counter with original argument as to why DoD is irrelevant?
And im 156 iq... achoooo.

sneeze achooo. seems im allergic to BS
SpheresOfBalance

Hjarloprillar wrote:Well then a dumb son of a bitch you be, reread and pay attention to context numb nuts. I think your cancer is now systemic, affecting you brain. You picked a bad time, boy!

SOB

Could you counter with original argument as to why DoD is irrelevant?
And im 156 iq... achoooo.

sneeze achooo. seems im allergic to BS
RE-READ DIPSHIT!
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

DIPSHIT

very mature..
and spend a lot of time in gutter outside pub.. hehe
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

signs

I am called a numb nuts
a dipshit
a dumb son of a bitch boy!!
I think your cancer is now systemic.

Little children may be intimidated by your self emplaced aura of power ,mystique and knowledge.
I call you just another rube.
Insults dont work on me.
try reason.

"You picked a bad time, boy!"
Did you run out of meds?

Prill
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Hello Hjarloprillar, (prill? Nikos? How do you do? My name is Will, but in this place, you can call me anything you like.) In fairness to SpheresOfBalance, what he said was:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I worked with the US DOD for 16 years, specifically utilizing both Doppler Shift and Electromagnetic Energy emission and detection for various purposes.
I am not aware that SpheresOfBalance has ever claimed that the DOD has any interest in cosmology. I’ve no idea whether SpheresOfBalance worked for the DOD, but I have no reason to doubt it and I certainly wouldn’t call him a liar on the basis of something he didn’t say.

and SpheresOfBalance:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:It does not 'necessarily' suggest any such thing. To say that it may suggest, is acceptable.
That's very gracious of you, but I really don't understand why a sentence heavy with conditionals needs another one.