What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme
Posts: 10965
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:36 amIt is 'you', the human being labeled "dontaskme", after all, who continues to use words CLAIMING that what 'you' are POINTING TO can NOT be described by 'words'.
Labels don't KNOW anything...labels are known, by this immediate not-knowing unknown. The conceptual known is a manifestation of this not-knowing unknown into an illusory known, and this happens by the only knowing there is which is consciousness.
It is not known what or who knows. Knowing is all there is, one without a second, because even the concept consciousness is known. Knowledge can only point to the illusory nature of reality, knowledge can only point to the real, which is an illusory real. The contradiction and paradox is unavoidable result of duality, for there is no such thing as non-duality, because non-duality is not a thing.
How can that which is not-a-thing be pointed to, it can't without making it a thing.

Knowing is, but it's not known how or why or who is knowing, for the answer would still be this immediate knowing that cannot be known twice.

To say ''I know''..is still this not-knowing knowing, in the sense the concept I is KNOWN....by the only knowing there is, reality is a verb, it's one without a second.

How would the concept ''known'' make sense without it's complimentary opposite ''non-knowing''. It wouldn't. In essence reality has to be both non-dual and dual appearing to itself as dual. Non-dual has no opposite, except as imagined, in the illusory dream of separation, duality. The illsuion is real only insofar as it appears that way to the mind, which is a concept known by not-knowing. A Reality that is conceived of is the illusion. In reality, no thing ever conceived reality, it's inconceivably ONE.

.
Age
Posts: 8291
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am
Age wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:53 am What does the word 'illusory' mean, and/or refer to, to you?
It means not permanent. As opposed to eternally existing.
Ah okay. This explains a lot of my confusion here. See the word 'illusory', to me, means, based on illusion; not real. So, when for example, you have been saying words, or humans, are illusory, then I was confused. But now that you have clarified it all makes perfect sense.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am Things existing as 'temporal' and 'eternally' are in fact unfathomable, for how does reality exist at all?
If, and when, I learn what the word 'reality' means, and/or refers to, to you, then I can better understand what you are asking here.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am All that can be known about that, is that is does.


If what you are referring to when you used the 'that' word here is 'reality', itself, then what else can be known about 'reality', besides that 'it' does exist, is how 'it' exists, as well as for how long 'it' has existed. Which by the way is ALREADY KNOWN.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am It can be experienced that there is a fundamental unchanging permanence behind illusory impermanence.
What you are saying here in the last three words is;

behind impermanent impermanence.

Unless, of course, you meant, or referred to, something else different with the word 'illusory' here?
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am It's obvious there is nothing in the world according to the mind of man that is permanent or eternal.
I am not sure what you mean here.

To me, it is VERY OBVIOUS, that there is something that permanent and eternal. In fact, this 'thing' could not possibly any other way.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am Therefore there is no proof that life is real for man. Knowledge for man is known as being both real and unreal within the duality of conceptual knowledge.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am
Age wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:53 amWhat does illusion mean?
It's a meaningless word without knowing it's complimentary opposite in the same instance.

Illusion does not mean it is non-existent. It means everything exists, but it does not exist as the mind thinks it exists. It is generally believed that everything that exists in the world is real and that an illusion cannot exist within it, as a reality.
When you say, "generally" here, what does that word mean, or refer to, to you?

Who will you propose "believes that an illusion cannot exist within the world"?
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am This is obvious because the world could either be real or illusory and not both,
Just define the word 'world', then you should be able to instantly KNOW if 'it' is real or illusory, or part illusory and part real.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am illusion means a deception in a sensory perception or experience of reality.
This is a different definition than the one you gave before.

If one cannot yet decipher between what is real and what is just an illusion, then blaming something else other than that one will not help that one.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:39 am Only the illusory can be enjoyed and admired and not the real.
But I can and do enjoy the real.

In fact, I can and do far more enjoy the 'real' than I do the 'illusory'.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am
Age wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:53 amIf, to you, humans and the world is 'illusory', then what is left that is 'real'?
Light is real.
But light can only come from what is 'illusory', to you, correct?
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am And light's unreal reflection is purely an outcome of it. The real can enjoy it's own reflections. It's not that the reflections are the ones admiring and enjoying their being, because illusions are not the real.

It's not that there is only illusion and not it's complimentary known conceptual opposite, one cannot be and the other not be, both have to exist in the same instant. There has to be a clear understanding when it comes to the meaning of words like ( real and illusory ) the thinker needs to be clear whether Illusion is misunderstood as reality, or whether the mind's imagined reality is being misunderstood to be real.
I cannot even get a clear understanding of what 'illusory' means, or refers to, to 'you', thee thinker.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am
Age wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:53 amSo, to you, there is NO physical matter ANYWHERE, correct?
As a known concept yes, physical matter exists.

It's not known HOW
But HOW physical matter exists IS KNOWN, ALREADY by the way.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am The HOW questions are unanswerable, for no one was around at the beginning or start of the universe to report the how.
But thee Universe NEVER began NOR started. To ASSUME that It did is just a DISTORTION, or an ILLUSION, of Reality.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am It is clear that life is the play of sound and light energy, and the world is like a screen on which life projects an illusion of a world and daily life, which is real to man. Nothing can be proved about a reality that has no known beginning or knowledge of ending.

.
This sounds like some sort of ILLUSION being projected onto the screen, which the one known as "dontaskme" is observing, and BELIEVING, as 'real'.
Age
Posts: 8291
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 am
Age wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:36 amIt is 'you', the human being labeled "dontaskme", after all, who continues to use words CLAIMING that what 'you' are POINTING TO can NOT be described by 'words'.
Labels don't KNOW anything...
OF COURSE 'labels' do NOT KNOW ANY thing. To ASSUME and/or even THINK, SAY, or SUGGEST that they could is just an ABSURDITY in and of itself.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 am labels are known, by this immediate not-knowing unknown.
What these words you write now appear to be, to me, is just 'you' 'trying to' DETRACT AWAY from the FACT that it is 'you' who continues to use 'words', them self, to CLAIM that what 'you' are POINTING AT can NOT be described by 'words'.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 am The conceptual known is a manifestation of this not-knowing unknown into an illusory known, and this happens by the only knowing there is which is consciousness.
It is not known what or who knows.
HOW MANY TIMES DO I TO INFORM 'you' that 'I' ALREADY KNOW 'who' AND 'what' knows, BEFORE 'you' HEAR and COMPREHEND this FACT?

'you' OBVIOUSLY can NOT prove 'me' wrong here. So, WHY do you INSIST on continually sprouting 'that' as though it is IRREFUTABLY TRUE?

Sure, you are FREE to BELIEVE whatever you like. But your own BELIEFS are NOT necessarily absolutely true AT ALL.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 am Knowing is all there is, one without a second, because even the concept consciousness is known.
When will you progress and move forward past this?
trokanmariel
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:35 am

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by trokanmariel »

We live in a God reality, but then that creates the intelligence: if God is real, but God is a human-construct word, how can God's word be trusted to be correct?
Vitruvius
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 9:46 am

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by Vitruvius »

I don't know; and I know I don't know. Maybe, but how else can I proceed than as if we do not? Same goes for Gods, aliums, ghosts, horoscopes, crystal skulls, yeti, nessie and monsters under the bed. Can't rule them out because, problem of induction - can't rule them in for lack of proof. So I focus on what I can know; in which I find, with a little effort, all the joy, comfort and wonder I might gain from bending my head to believe something I don't know.
commonsense
Posts: 3669
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by commonsense »

If we exist in a simulated reality, we can only know it as if it were our actual reality, our actual world, our actual universe.

If a simulated reality were to faithfully simulate reality, then there would be no way to experience another reality. It would just be unreal to witness anything outside of our universe, even as a faithfully simulated one. If it isn’t contained by the universe, it doesn’t exist.

As far as we can know, we do not live in a simulation.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 5022
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by Lacewing »

If we live in a simulation or a projection of some sort, we might as well have fun with it... whatever we are.
Dubious
Posts: 2820
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by Dubious »

If I can't tell the difference who cares! Some poor bastard living a miserable life, convinced it's only a simulation, isn't going to make him feel any better...no matter how much he forces himself to believe it's all an illusion. Perhaps nothing is real EXCEPT each moment proceeding to the next which hasn't yet happened...meaning one hasn't arrived until one is THERE.
Dontaskme
Posts: 10965
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: What do you think? Do we live in a simulation?

Post by Dontaskme »

Dubious wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:31 am If I can't tell the difference who cares! Some poor bastard living a miserable life, convinced it's only a simulation, isn't going to make him feel any better...no matter how much he forces himself to believe it's all an illusion. Perhaps nothing is real EXCEPT each moment proceeding to the next which hasn't yet happened...meaning one hasn't arrived until one is THERE.
You, we, are only real because you, we, are unreal.

You, we, are always changing because you, we, are changeless.

You, me, are limited and finite because you, me, are infintely limitless.

You, we, will never die, because you, we, have never been born. You, we, will never be born, because you, me, have never died.


You, we, have no power because you, me, is ominipotent, and that's the illusory game we are playing with ourselves forever.

This is what it means to be a simulation. We are creating the game we are playing, a game that we will continue to create until we figure out our creations are never ending, not until we stop playing the game. And even then the game never ends because after we have stopped playing the game, we then discover we do not want the game to end, so we start playing it again. And nothing in the game is ever lost or gained, because absolutey everything that could possibly be created has always existed infinitely forever.

And when you finally know all this, you then decide whether you want to play, or not, doesn't matter, because it was all just a simulation anyway, nothing ultimately matters. You are forever, and forever is you. Now is forever because now has always been now.

.
Post Reply