Artificial morality, virtuous robots for virtual games.

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Artificial morality, virtuous robots for virtual games.

Post by Arising_uk »

Author: P. Danielson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artificial-Mora ... 0415076919

Brought this in '92 and its still worth a read now.

A very interesting book and approach for those interested in morality and 'robot' ethics.

You can even experiment and you'll get an understanding of Predicate Logic through getting to grips with the Prolog(Programmable Logic) language. Double-bubble.

You should still be able to find a free version of Prolog to play with, just goggle it.
John

Re: Artificial morality, virtuous robots for virtual games.

Post by John »

It's a bit pricey to buy on a whim so any particular claims of interest (i.e worth debating) in it?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Ah! Apologies John, slighty hoisted upon my own petard here. As I got all excited thinking I'd found it free online here;

http://www.questia.com/library/book/art ... tual_games

So posted it up with this link but upon further examination I realised that this was a 'free trial' offer and a quick search led to the realisation that the subscription for the site above was about $99 so I deleted the link and just posted the Amazon link rather than lose the post. :(

The meanie in me does think that with a bit of judicious use of a computers abilities and timing it could still be a fairly cheap read but I've not gone through the full subscription process to check. :)

Otherwise, I'd say just keep a weather-eye out at the second-hand university book sites for it but only if you like the idea of using programmable computational logic to experiment with rationality, ethics and morals.
John

Post by John »

As a computer geek with an interest in philosophy I'll keep an eye out for it then :wink: