Which, if any, e-reader ?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: Which, if any, e-reader ?

Post by duszek »

artisticsolution wrote:
duszek wrote:I am waiting for a reader with a voice.
Like with MP 3 but in a quality of BOSE.

So that you press a button and a voice reads to you. And if you wish to read with your eyes then you find the place easily on a display.

It could also be called an e-reader. And even more so: a device reading to you and displaying the text on demand.

How many years will I have to wait for such an invention ?
My nook has that...at least with some books. I will find out if I can download other books that read to you. There were only 2 that came with my nook that had that ability and both were children's books.
Yes, an audio-book-reader with an additional text display would be my option.
A very old-fashined tape-recorder does this too. Or a simple radio when books are read at certain times.

One day, I hope, people will be able to post an audio version of their written posts, trying to perform nicely, as if they were at court talking to a jury. We would just press the button "voice" and hear what they have to say. And the written version would be there too, for reference.

But until then, I save my eyes, reading paper books with good atmosphere and posts which are short or even aphoristic.
RickLewis

Re: Which, if any, e-reader ?

Post by RickLewis »

For audio books, there is LibriVox, available as an app on the iPad and maybe on other platforms too. It features lots of free audio books recorded by volunteers - mainly classics. I've been using it quite a bit. There is also a pay version which gives you fairly inexpensive access to yet more books.