Book reviews

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Rortabend

Book reviews

Post by Rortabend »

I like the thread where people tell us what they are currently reading but perhaps we could go a little further. Anyone interested in participating in a thread where we actually provide short reviews of books we have recently read, say 300-500 words? I would be happy to start if there is any interest in doing this sort of thing.
tbieter

ATTENTION: RICK LEWIS

Post by tbieter »

I'm definitely interested in your proposal. Maybe Rick Lewis will add a topic section called "Members' Book Reviews"
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

I'd enjoy reading others' reviews, and might write one or two as well. I vote YES.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

Great. Do we think that each new book review should be a separate thread within Book Club?
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

Fantastic idea!

I think we would need a separate thread for each book review, otherwise discussion about different books will get all intermingled

If we don't start a whole new topic section called Book Reviews, thread titles will have to make it clear that it is a review and what book
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Alternatively, may I suggest that each reviewer starts their own thread of book reviews here in the Book Club section - "Rortabend's Reviews", RachelAnn's Reviews", etc. ? Some discussion will probably arise, but that is not really the aim of reviews, and my guess is that many enjoyable reviews wouldn't generate a thread of their own at all.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

mickthinks wrote:Alternatively, may I suggest that each reviewer starts their own thread of book reviews here in the Book Club section - "Rortabend's Reviews", RachelAnn's Reviews", etc. ? Some discussion will probably arise, but that is not really the aim of reviews, and my guess is that many enjoyable reviews wouldn't generate a thread of their own at all.

a great idea
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nikolai wrote:Fantastic idea!

I think we would need a separate thread for each book review, otherwise discussion about different books will get all intermingled

I agree with Nikolai's above thought.

Would it be difficult to start a whole new topic section called Book Reviews?
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Would it be difficult to start a whole new topic section called Book Reviews?
LOL! No, just completely pointless.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

There's been a disappointing response to this. Anyone feel like posting a review?
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

Hi Rortabend

R: Anyone feel like posting a review?

M: I'm not sure I see the point. If I want a review of a book, I can go to eg Amazon. However, I do like the little pointers people give to why a book might be useful, fun to read but 'review' sounds kinda bothersome.

In a previous life, a few of us talked about the philosophical points and our interpretation of a particular book eg Marcus Aurelius. That was fun and rewarding ! But that means people having a copy and I see the problem with that...

It was kinda guided by a certain someone who had read it, sometimes picking out the exciting bits. This certainly increased my enthusiasm - the teeter-totter was far from dull.

Maybe, if people splashed out a paragraph they enjoyed, wetting the appetite of others?
philofra

Post by philofra »

"There's been a disappointing response to this. Anyone feel like posting a review?"

Rortabend,

You proposed this review of books so why haven't you been the first to post one? Come on!
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

You proposed this review of books so why haven't you been the first to post one? Come on!
I have! See the thread on Rousseau's Dog.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

Maybe, if people splashed out a paragraph they enjoyed, wetting the appetite of others?
I think this is kind of pointless and lazy. I've seen this done quite a lot on this forum and I just don't see the point. Quotes of one or two sentences are fine but anything longer I just don't see the point. This is supposed to be a philosophy forum. Go read soemthing and tell us what you think of it, why you agree or disgree with it. I've got plenty of books I haven't read at home, I don't need to see parts of them reproduced here.
philofra

Post by philofra »

R,
Sorry I didn't notice!