Book on Quantum Theory

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eliza

Book on Quantum Theory

Post by Eliza »

Wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a book on Quantum Theory that is relatively user friendly. I am by no means a physics buff, but am interested in the topic. Thanks!
Arising_uk

Re: Book on Quantum Theory

Post by Arising_uk »

Eliza wrote:Wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a book on Quantum Theory that is relatively user friendly. I am by no means a physics buff, but am interested in the topic. Thanks!
Forget Quantum Theory and read QED by R. Feyman, as it'll give you what you need to intelligibly discuss QM in a 'philosophical' way.
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Eliza wrote:Wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a book on Quantum Theory that is relatively user friendly. I am by no means a physics buff, but am interested in the topic. Thanks!
Given that thinking about quantum mechanics means thinking in strange ways, I would not start with a single book. Different people will explain the science in different ways, and what matters is to find the way that works for you. It may not be the way that works for others. So you could start by googling and finding several different explanations on the Internet. One or two of them, or bits from one and bits from another, will make sense to you.
nameless

Post by nameless »

Agreed.
Find a great and diverse (most healthy) buffet of food for thought on the net.
Screw Google, use Scroogle!
Research the double-slit experiment (and the results).
Ponder the philosophical implications...
A good beginning!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Oo! oo! I know!

Can anyone remember the name of that 'comic-book' series upon various subjects like philosophy, physics, etc, not a 'dummies guide'(excellent things) but with the same intent. As if theres one of these on QT then it'd be a great starter is my guess.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

p.s.
Sorry Eliza,
I read your post as QM and not QT. So if QT is what you want then I definitely recomend QED, as he wrote it to explain what he does as a physicist to the non-physicist. Tragically, the person he wrote it for died before hearing it.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Thank you for the replies. Greatly appreciated. Agreed, double-slit experiment a wonderful place to start. The implications thereof and the different paths that varied resources on both QT & QM lead are fascinating to me.

Back to floating in the abyss of my perceived reality. :)

Cheers,

~E