Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

What lenguaje would you recomend reading GEB in?

Original (English)
100%
Translation to native language
No votes

Total votes: 1

createdyesterday

Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter

Post by createdyesterday »

Hi, I've been reading a lot about this book [Godel, Escher, Bach] by Douglas Hofstadter and I really want to read it.
However, I have a little conflict. :?
  • My native language is Spanish, so I first thought of buying the spanish version. However, I read some opinion on internet and I am afraid that part of the magic of this book may be lost in the translation.
  • On the other hand, I've read that the book is somewhat difficult and it may be easier to comprehend in spanish (my native language).
    I'd like to think that I can speack and read English fluently, yet I'm not sure what version to buy.
Any advice?
Would you rather buy the original English version or the translated one?
Any spanish-speaking person that has read the book?
Your opinion is highly appreciated.
:D

(Note to mods: Wasn't sure to which forum this subject belonged. Please move it if you think it's better suited elsewhere.)
Impenitent

Re: Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter

Post by Impenitent »

read it in Spanish first, then re-read it in English...

-Imp
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I personally found it to be rather convoluted and disconnected and as a consequence its central theme is hard to follow
And so you would not be missing out on the so called magic whichever language you read it in but thats just my opinion
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:05 pm I personally found it to be rather convoluted and disconnected and as a consequence its central theme is hard to follow
And so you would not be missing out on the so called magic whichever language you read it in but thats just my opinion
Yes. I'm not sure it has any value, I may have missed the point, but it dosn't seem to have added anything to the debate.

I'd suggest reading it is Spanish. The ideas are the thing and the language is not important.