Ronald Beiner and his book "Dangerous Minds"

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Ronald Beiner and his book "Dangerous Minds"

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alizia wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 am
Judeo-Christianity including Islam as a derivative of Judaism share the same general morality.
I think I would largely agree with this, I mean, it would be hard not to.
Nope. Have you read the Koran? I have. Have you visited or lived in a Muslim-dominated country? I have. Nothing you will find in either the theory or the practice of Islam buoys such a hope. It's just a common multicultural myth, born of nothing but the wish that it would turn out to be so.

But it is not so: and that is why 9-11 caught the Western world by such surprise. Nothing in their liberal myths prepared them for that. After that, agencies like the CIA really smartened up and started to do actual analysis of what Islam teaches and practices on the ground; but the average citizen went right back to the naive belief it was all the same.

After all, it would make this so much simpler and 'nicer' if it were true...
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

Hmmm. I see your point. I have read the Koran but glancingly. And I have never been in a Muslim country and know nothing of it, have no friends that are Muslim.
But it is not so: and that is why 9-11 caught the Western world by such surprise. Nothing in their liberal myths prepared them for that. After that, agencies like the CIA really smartened up and started to do actual analysis of what Islam teaches and practices on the ground; but the average citizen went right back to the naive belief it was all the same.
Important information. Can you name a book title that examines Islam historically, morally, ethically and critically?

I assumed that Islam had some relationship to the same general matrix. But if it doesn't I have no issue understanding that it doesn't and that it is historically different from Judaism and Christianity.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Alizia wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:21 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pmI'd like to understand what you mean by the essence of the tradition, that must be felt, understood and believed in to be real.
Well, it is somewhat personal to myself and my own situation, that is, the realizations I have had. My husband is a committed Catholic of the traditional variety (those who regard modern Catholicism and its rites as faux-Catholicism) and though I was raised in the shadows of Catholicism, when I made the effort to 'reenter the tradition', I realized that I did not really have the 'essence' of the faith, but rather a reflected version of it. I had been trained through 'academic distance' to think that, say, rational grasp was the avenue to full understanding.

I found that I had to make an effort to find out what the 'essence' in fact was, and in my case -- to the degree that I am successful and I have many self-misgivings -- it only worked so well for me to read academically about Catholicism. It had to become an inner affair. For certain periods of time -- it goes up and down -- I felt I had made contact with the 'essence' which, of course, means that there is a response. Then, I could say that I 'felt something' as a result of encountering the 'essence' and only then was it 'real'. I hope this makes sense.

A relationship to a 'myth' is not a relationship with an 'essence', or to put it in more frank terms, with God or spirit. I think that that mode of relationship comes through people like Joseph Campbell. It seems to me that the mythic approach is for people who have lost their inner connection with their own 'tradition' which is more a way of being. Perhaps the mythic path (if I can call it that) is a way back in to some sort of lived religious experience, which people do seem to need and often to recreate, but it is not the same as a 'real, lived experience' that one profoundly believes in.

For example, if I asked you to 'tell me what reality is' and to describe what Being here is, I assume you would only be able to resort to a biological/material description of things that happened to come about as a result of a cosmic explosion. For you (and for so many of us) that is the 'essential idea' we have: the only one we can have. And if you were then to discuss what 'myth' means to you, it would likely still reflect the basic biological/material understanding of reality that you have. Myth then -- take Romero as an example -- could only express biological/material concerns, and in this way (I think) you would see that essentially your Christian myth is Marxist praxis. I do not mean this in any sense as a criticism! I mean only to say that when we examine our own 'metaphysics', we run into our Essential Explanation of what Being is (and what it is not). I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on what I have just stated here.
I was also taught to be sceptical so I don't believe that the Christian myth is historically true, which as far as I know Christians are expected to accept or else they cannot be Christians. Especially with regard to the Resurrection event.
I believe that I understand. I think though that if the resurrection event cannot be believed in, neither can the incarnation event, nor in fact any part of it unless it is reworked to conform with modern terms and the only modes of visualization available to us. So, I would say -- but without any judgment of your own relationship -- that in fact this is how the lived tradition that had been the foundation of Europe in a metaphysical sense (I use that word often and perhaps I should explain what it means to me) shows itself coming to an end.

Obviously what interests me as a topic of conversation is the recovery of Europe. I gather that the phrase does not resonate with many as it didn't with Immanuel Can. In my own view I believe that either Europe will 'recover itself' (and of course I mean all the different nations of Europe) through realizing what it is, and arresting dissolution, or it will not and will be 'lost'. What is dissolving it must be identified. This is a substantial work. If my view is excessively 'romantic' (it obviously has a romantic element in the strict sense of the word), well, I will have to correct it. However I find myself in contact with many many people who feel as I do, and many of them are involved in the same 'problem'. That problem is having been unseated from something inside oneself, and something external as well, which is the very stuff of Being. I don't know how to express it. Except to say that forces in modernity knock people off of a genuine foundation (authenticity) and dump them in false-worlds of non-being. When that happens people become 'desperate' with the angst of nihilism and incline to psychological ailment and of course 'social madness'.

Of course this is why I did begin here with a book by Beiner on two difficult and highly problematic figures: Nietzsche and Heidegger. He regards them as 'dangerous' thinkers, which means that he regards the thinking of certain people in our present as also dangerous (and he means deviant). I understand his view, but I differ from it.
Alizia this is quite difficult for me to understand. My own encounter with Roman Catholicism is via actual persons who have impressed me favourably. These persons include Polish soldiers who were billeted in my house and neighbourhood during the war when I was a small girl, and who were friends, and a charming young woman who showed me a nice statue of " Our Lady" in the RC church in the town.Since then the few Catholics I have met have continued to be pleasant and left me with a lasting feeling that RC is friendly, except for the authoritarian thing .This is the one and only feeling that I have about RC , apart from my general dislike and distrust of all religious authority. Does my feeling count as essence? True, happy experiences in childhood don't usually melt away.

If I had encountered RC only as insistence that the supernatural myth was historically true, (no RC friend ever tried this on me) then I'd have had no pleasant feeling about RC. Rather unpleasant feeling.

Is the 'essence' of RC Christianity a) fellow feelings ? b) practising the rites? c) believing the myth ? d) attitude of docility towards the priestly hierarchy? e) idolising one or more of the persons who figure in the myth?

The Europeans whom I know personally are not believers in the supernatural narratives of any sect. They are all principled people who have no problem with their lack of religious rites ,supernatural myths, or priests. I guess that, same as me, they have all encountered significant others who influenced the essence of their principles. And ,like me, they appear to be transmitting this essence if essence it may be called to their own children and pupils.

Perhaps the loss of own tradition is Durkheimian anomie. In such cases, and they are personal as well as applicable to populations, there is no substitute for a secure childhood where traditional values have been learned through happy associations with others. I'd fear for people people who have no recourse but to believe in and trust to divine Providence. There is a need in Europe as elsewhere for a reasonable religion which is as much as possible network rather than hierarchy, and where fellow feeling is not inhibited by insistence that supernatural narratives are historically true.

Nihilism. I can't comment, because I never met anybody who believes that there is no reality.
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

Belinda wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:40 pmThis is the one and only feeling that I have about RC, apart from my general dislike and distrust of all religious authority. Does my feeling count as essence? True, happy experiences in childhood don't usually melt away.
I'll attempt an answer but in no sense do I intend to challenge nor even try to modify your views, whatever they are. I would say that your experience of Catholicism is obviously just a reflection, yet that only means that if you feel something or understand something, or receive something, through the influence of those persons, then perhaps it means that there is a further essence (this is your word and I am using it) that could be discovered. I think that what I describe has occurred in the lives of those people who have chosen to convert to Catholicism. I only mention this because some of those dedicated Catholics and the better explainers of it -- including the famous Chesterton -- are converts.
If I had encountered RC only as insistence that the supernatural myth was historically true, (no RC friend ever tried this on me) then I'd have had no pleasant feeling about RC. Rather unpleasant feeling.
Yet I think that you are -- correct me if I am wrong -- someone who is seeing it from a position outside of it. I don't want to make any statement about you because I can't know, but I suspect that you have no religious foundation and formation and are thus very far on the 'outside' of what requires an inner, committed relationship.

In my view, what is attractive in Christianity and Catholicism does have a great deal to do with its 'content'. To discover that content one has to seek it out. That could also mean understanding the inner dimension of the Mass which, in any case, has been a part of Europe for a long time. I gained a great deal reading for example the Ordinary of the Mass. Nietzsche describes Christianity as 'Platonism for the masses' and in a very real sense he is right. My own view is that to understand something, one has to immerse oneself in it. Remember that when I talk about these things, publicly, here, it is because I am interested in a larger cultural project: recovery. So, talking about these things is valid.
The Europeans whom I know personally are not believers in the supernatural narratives of any sect. They are all principled people who have no problem with their lack of religious rites ,supernatural myths, or priests. I guess that, same as me, they have all encountered significant others who influenced the essence of their principles. And ,like me, they appear to be transmitting this essence if essence it may be called to their own children and pupils.
I would not want to make any sort of speculative statement about people I do not know. My present view though is that when we lose the connection with the supernatural, that is when we have lost that connection on the inner, spiritual plane, it is just a matter of time -- a few generations perhaps -- and then the entire connection, and what the connection brought us, is severed. I observe this in my surroundings, so I do not feel I am making it up (and I must also speak autobiographically!) So, my view is that social and cultural degeneration is real; that it is going on; that it is not a good thing; that it will not turn out well.

These ideas I share might be of interest to you simply 'culturally': our culture is now in upheavals and there is a 'rise of a radical right' and also a 'traditional right'. I know people connected to this movement, and to a degree I am as well. We exist, we have some influence, and our influence will continue to manifest itself. Therefore, open discussion of these issues is a good thing.

Again, I have no ground at all to make any assessment of the people you speak about and so I will not. I do say that it seems to me that 'we are losing our foundations' and I believe that this is a dual problem: One part is definitely severing the inner relationship, which is 'spiritual practice. The other part is losing the connection with our own intellectual traditions, which perhaps could be generalized as 'classics studies' or 'classical liberal arts'. I assume that the people you speak of have a strong connection to the classical liberal arts? Well, through that they would still be 'connected' to the 'essences' of 'our traditions'. You must understand that I am referring to kids and young people who grow up outside of those influences.
Nihilism. I can't comment, because I never met anybody who believes that there is no reality.
Isn't 'nihilism' a bit more than that?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alizia wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 pm Can you name a book title that examines Islam historically, morally, ethically and critically?
Yes, there are many. But I think you'll get a clear idea if you just read a bit of the Koran itself. Anything by Nabeel Qureshi would be a good starting point.
I assumed that Islam had some relationship to the same general matrix. But if it doesn't I have no issue understanding that it doesn't and that it is historically different from Judaism and Christianity.
Mo had some familiarity with both Judaism and the version of Christianity known as Nestorianism. He tried to borrow from both, but got all his borrowings wrong. One could say that Islam was actually a cultic misrepresentation or mimicry of Judaism or Christianity. It was certainly an attempt to get credit from both. But no Jew or Christian with even a modicum of knowledge of Islam mistakes it for Christian or Jewish.
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

I looked into that author. I appreciate the referral. I see his writing as pretty open apologetics though. I was hoping for something with a bit more scholarly distance.
Mo had some familiarity with both Judaism and the version of Christianity known as Nestorianism. He tried to borrow from both, but got all his borrowings wrong. One could say that Islam was actually a cultic misrepresentation or mimicry of Judaism or Christianity. It was certainly an attempt to get credit from both. But no Jew or Christian with even a modicum of knowledge of Islam mistakes it for Christian or Jewish.
I did read through the Koran at one point, rather quickly I admit, and I also read some essays by Englishmen who really did not have much to say about it because, for them, it really did not have much in it to comment on; that is, of content comparable to the Jewish Bible and the New Testament. They presented it as something to be read and known about, but dismissed its content.

It is interesting to look upon an entire culture, as this is what it amounts to, as being established on an improper, mistaken foundation. If you 'get all your borrowings wrong' that is what you'd wind up with. My intuition -- I see this as something quite innate and instinctive -- indicates to me that these people and this religion must be driven from 'our lands'.

It's odd because I 'know' this, or I 'believe' it (feel it at an instinctive level), and yet I would have to go in search of scholarly explanations in order to justify and rationalize the belief. I'd imagine that your position would be that they should be converted. But in Europe -- as Belinda seems to indicate and explain -- there is no longer a 'believer'! The believer just gazes out on 'myths', and one myth is equal to any other one, and all are unreal in essence. All there is is people who must be 'managed' by Marxist state managers. Thus, a people, the people, are stripped of the lofty objects and idealism of Occidental Civilization and are reduced to managed and manageable aphids.

It seems evident -- to me at least -- that this is an aspect of the numerous European nations losing their nerve. They have lost a sense of something needing defence. Or, they cannot any longer defend the specific but develop a sense of justice based on the general and the universal.

I am obviously trying to steer things in the direction of discussion of the 'dangerous thinkers' who, in different ways, propose radical action in the present, not merely to go with the flow of things which is toward a Maoist Progressive Totalitarianism-lite.

I have just begun to read The Culture of the Teutons by V. Grönbech (1931), a Danish historian of religion at the University of Copenhagen, and he reveals the habits and ethics and worldways of these northern peoples. I might select parts of it to illustrate how it seems to me that 'Europe' (for you I will say now 'the various nations of Europe'!) have lost their nerve.

What I mean is that certain processes which I do not fully understand have acted on northern peoples over a long period of time to remove them from their own foundation within themselves. I believe that this is what both Nietzsche and Heidegger were reacting against, and if I say this I say it because I do not think that Nietzsche (who I know better than Heidegger) was on a wrong track. He was on a right track. However, this does not mean that it did not involve him in extreme psychological conflict. And the nations of Europe got -- all of them -- involved in destructive madness. (I am not sure there is just one to blame).

I might say that he was aware that 'his people' were 'losing their nerve' and had to reclaim not only it but Life: the right to live. Similarly, I would say that we live in a time where processes and powers are deracinating us and rendering us meek, powerless victims of larger power-structures. That is what people seem to mean with the term 'globalization' (though it is also a symbol and various meanings are injected into it).

It has to be said because it is true: the so-called Alt-Right and the also so-called Radical Right and its various right-leaning expressions now showing themselves (through irony, criticism, intellectual and historical work and also in some instances through violence and aggressiveness) are connected to the same forces that Nietzsche named Will-to-Power: a grasping after life in its tangible form as a remedy for a nihilism brought about by decadent Christendom (I really don't know how to put it so this is the best for now!)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alizia wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:52 pm I looked into that author. I appreciate the referral. I see his writing as pretty open apologetics though. I was hoping for something with a bit more scholarly distance.
Well, here's the problem with "scholarly distance." Usually, it's a good thing: especially when one is dealing with physical objects and phenomena -- keep any agendas out of it, until after the inquiry's done. Good plan.

The problem is that "religion" doesn't work like that. Take the beliefs and suppositions out of it, and it stops being a thing at all.

What can a purely objective observer know about religion? Very little. Just that it exists, and produces some sociological patterns. But the reasons remain opaque. Regarding what it's like to live within, to indwell, to believe -- of that, he can know little. Empathy helps: but even empathetic guesses about how religious people experience things are often incorrect. Imagination helps, but imagination also sometimes goes wrong.

And scholars of religion recognize this: they talk about the "outsider" versus the "insider" perspective. You need to "get inside" what it's like to believe a particular belief system, even if you don't personally believe it, to see what's in there. So you've got to talk to people who actually believe it, see what they think about, figure out how they structure their lives to work with it, and so on.

That's why I say, "Read the Koran." But if you're not going to read the Koran, you could do a whole lot worse than to consider the experience of someone who once indwelt Islam and believed it and lived it, who later decided to depart from it. He's likely to have both sides of what you need.
I did read through the Koran at one point, rather quickly I admit, and I also read some essays by Englishmen who really did not have much to say about it because, for them, it really did not have much in it to comment on; that is, of content comparable to the Jewish Bible and the New Testament. They presented it as something to be read and known about, but dismissed its content.
Ah, so you've got experience with the problem of which I'm speaking.

Yes, there can be little learned from that perspective. Either one goes to the original documents, or one needs to investigate the believers in that religion.
It is interesting to look upon an entire culture, as this is what it amounts to, as being established on an improper, mistaken foundation. If you 'get all your borrowings wrong' that is what you'd wind up with. My intuition -- I see this as something quite innate and instinctive -- indicates to me that these people and this religion must be driven from 'our lands'.
Well, and it also depends on what they actually believe, doesn't it? I don't think too many of us would object to fascists and tyrants, if such persist, being "driven from our land." So that could be good. But either way, one has to look at the particulars again.

What's worrisome are two opposite dangers: the danger of arbitrarily excluding or evicting those with whom one can and ought to live, and on the other hand, of being so devoted to a narrative of toleration that one does not realize a really dangerous culture when it appears and makes demands -- as when might try to placate actual evil with mere multicultural sugar. Which one Islam is, will be determined on the basis of what Islam actually teaches and does to people.
It's odd because I 'know' this, or I 'believe' it (feel it at an instinctive level), and yet I would have to go in search of scholarly explanations in order to justify and rationalize the belief. I'd imagine that your position would be that they should be converted.
Not at all costs. If violence against conscience is required, or violence against bodies, then no. Conversion is a matter of the intellect and heart, not of forced submission to dogma.

Interestingly, "Islam" means "submission." And in it, conscience is not required, so much as conformity is. It's a truly religious-political cult; and to ask that it become "tolerant" is essentially to ask that it stop being "Islamic" (submission-valuing) at all. That's a serious impediment to the liberal "tolerance" narrative.
But in Europe -- as Belinda seems to indicate and explain -- there is no longer a 'believer'! The believer just gazes out on 'myths', and one myth is equal to any other one, and all are unreal in essence. All there is is people who must be 'managed' by Marxist state managers. Thus, a people, the people, are stripped of the lofty objects and idealism of Occidental Civilization and are reduced to managed and manageable aphids.

It seems evident -- to me at least -- that this is an aspect of the numerous European nations losing their nerve. They have lost a sense of something needing defence. Or, they cannot any longer defend the specific but develop a sense of justice based on the general and the universal.

This generalization holds, but only to the extent that we imagine "Europe" is a block. It's really an iron-and-clay mix, to use the prophetic metaphor; the people-groups within it have long-standing differences of agenda with each other.
What I mean is that certain processes which I do not fully understand have acted on northern peoples over a long period of time to remove them from their own foundation within themselves.
"Secularization" is usually the name given that process: at least by sociologists. What's happened is that the ontological beliefs that make any sense of humanist ethics have been disbelieved; and for a time, it was possible to sustain the ethics without bothering about their inconsistency with the new ontology. Custom and tradition, along with law, permitted that. But when time has passed, the ontological asserts a kind of slow "gravitational" pull against the ethics, and humanist sympathies are collapsed. The reasons not to mistreat each other become increasingly inaccessible. And people begin to conform to the real trajectory of the new ontology, which is Nietzschean and Heideggerian at first, and then goes beyond both.

But we have not seen the fulness of that yet. Two World Wars...so far. The next war is likely to involve not mere nations or even alliances of nations: it will be formed around these larger and more volatile collectives like "Europe," I think, and will involve major zones of ideology, such as "The Islamic World" and "the East." Scary thought, really. So we ought not to allow ourselves to enthuse about these potentially volatile collectives forming.
That is what people seem to mean with the term 'globalization' (though it is also a symbol and various meanings are injected into it).
"Globalism," I believe, will be the bone of contention. The question for the larger trans-national power blocks will be, "Along whose ideological lines with the new world order be formed?" Each block will have a different vision, and each will believe it is the legitimate and necessary determiner of the "global" direction.

If I'm right about that, then the future of Globalism is not humanist decency, but rather massive zones in conflict: not John Lennon's future, but Orwell's.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Alizia,The fate of aphids is to be milked by ants. Europeans are not aphids but in many cases are all too attached to ideologies. The demise of religion as it affects decent Europeans has not made us criminal or selfish any more or less than Europeans were during the age of faith.
Morality survives multiplication of moral myths. The great religions have moved their icons and these proceed to lead modern people. True, the devil has shifted his own banners , however the big battle as always is between opposing love and fear.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:05 am Morality survives multiplication of moral myths.
So...

This suggests you believe "morality" is objective and transcends all particular "moral myths" (or, you would say, religions, maybe?).

If so, what is the substance of this "objectivity"? But after you throw out all concepts of intelligent creation, what makes, say, "Do not murder" (or choose your own precept) a thing we are obligated to think is true?

What backs morals once all the walls are gone?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:52 pm
Belinda wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:05 am Morality survives multiplication of moral myths.
So...

This suggests you believe "morality" is objective and transcends all particular "moral myths" (or, you would say, religions, maybe?).

If so, what is the substance of this "objectivity"? But after you throw out all concepts of intelligent creation, what makes, say, "Do not murder" (or choose your own precept) a thing we are obligated to think is true?

What backs morals once all the walls are gone?
Morality as propounded by the great religions is of such ancient origin that it may as well be objective for practical purposes. What inhibits the murder response is long tradition most remarkably as enshrined in the Sixth Commandment.

The Good needs no personal god to illustrate it. Indeed illustrations of God lead to idolatry.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:42 pm Morality as propounded by the great religions is of such ancient origin that it may as well be objective for practical purposes.
But "great religions" propound opposite moralities. And some religious moralities are what you would no doubt agree are downright evil...such as Summerian infanticide, or Mayan human sacrifice, or Islamic female forcible circumcision at age 12, for example.

You just can't reconcile them with the 6th Commandment, or with human rights in general.

So which one is the "objective" one? How did you know?
What inhibits the murder response is long tradition most remarkably as enshrined in the Sixth Commandment.
That will work for Jews and Christians. It won't work for anybody else, though.

"Tradition" doesn't approve things. Among the great "traditions" of the human race are warfare and prostitution...they are universal.
The Good needs no personal god to illustrate it. Indeed illustrations of God lead to idolatry.
It's not "illustration" that's the problem: it's grounding. Something has to ground your decision that Judaic morality is right, whereas Mayan morality is wrong.

And what does that for you?
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

One of my 'areas of interest', I guess I might say, is how what I understand to be 'romantic notions' are coming to the surface and being expressed today.

I wonder at times if people are moved or motivated more by ideas (logos) or by something that lies under the surface? Or, perhaps an Idea (logos) descends down into some more instinctive level of being and then becomes something really more profound, more metaphysical. My theory is that it is only when people really feel something to be true can they really act on it.

The danger -- with romantic motivations -- is in What should happen if one is captured by the wrong sentiment, or the wrong idea?

I am not saying that I support this person's work -- I sense that he is as young as I feel myself to be -- but I suggest that in this 'text' it is not hard at all to notice high romanticism which, perhaps coupled together with an excellent song, communicates a strong message. It fits into the context of this thread, I think. I have to admit that I feel drawn to the prospect of serving renewal and renovation.

Resurrection Europa

(Still mulling over your post Immanuel Can ...)
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

Belinda wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:05 am Alizia,the fate of aphids is to be milked by ants. Europeans are not aphids but in many cases are all too attached to ideologies. The demise of religion as it affects decent Europeans has not made us criminal or selfish any more or less than Europeans were during the age of faith.

Morality survives multiplication of moral myths. The great religions have moved their icons and these proceed to lead modern people. True, the devil has shifted his own banners, however the big battle as always is between opposing love and fear.
Perhaps I was not clear enough with my metaphor. I think that the Marxian view -- the Marxian view of matter and of man -- reduces all beings, but certainly human beings, to 'aphids'. A Marxian ideology, combined with a materialistic-scientific view of reality, becomes a combined power that can only see man, and life, as a means to an end.

I think that if we start to imagine what those 'ends' are we will wind up describing dystopias, and this is what Immanuel Can meant by the reference to Orwell.

But I would agree with you that there have been, and there are, benefits to the way things are being structured. We would have to spend some time discussing what the new organization is and what sort of man it creates. I tend to think of it as the managerial revolution talked about by James Burnham. Also, I could not say that our present is more criminal or selfish than other times, nor that there are less opportunities for a person to live decently (there are more opportunities), but that the real horrors of our time have come about in and through atheistic regimes. So, you are right about 'ideologies'.
Morality survives multiplication of moral myths.
Well, you might have guessed that I would not use a phrasing like this which, I think you can admit, is more a statement, a revelation of your position. You regard those revelations that have brought morality (a moral sense with all attendant ideas) as the products of myths. I see divine revelation as a dispensation from divinity.

And I further am beginning to understand that one revelation is not, necessarily, comparable to another. That is, there are better and worse ones. My thinking does tend to get a little esoteric at this point and I will spare you the details!

It is possible in a strict sort of environment for the fruit of revelation to continue to bear even in the absence of the source of revelation. That is why I would speak of 'shadows' or perhaps a better metaphor is 'dimming glow'. But when a strong materialistic and scientific outlook combines with a Marxian management structure, I sincerely believe (because I feel I observe it) that the fount of religion is attacked: made to seem backward, unnecessary, a hinderance. But, it is not hard for me to notice the defective aspects of some religions, religious practices and religious communities.

Obviously, I am overall interested in a European renovation and my hope is that this comes about through a process of spiritual awakening.
I think you might be wrong in this (the first part). This is why: It is through an inner relationship with God, certainly this is fundamental in Christianity, that a person comes into life. Therefore, the base of the Christian existence is life lived in relation not to a 'myth' but to a real being. So, it is a little bit true that most people could define 'the good' as a recital. But to live it is not mere recitation. I would agree with you that it is possible to approach divinity through idolatry. As someone involved in sort-of Catholic practice, but aware of the Evangelical relationship, I admit that at times the Catholic structure seems encumbered. But the essence of it -- this I feel I can say with certainty -- is very lofty, quite beautiful and also powerful. The hymns from the Breviary for example (in Latin and translated into English and other languages) contain the essence of Christian practice.

True, one can get stopped in idolatry. But the better practitioners do not do this.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Alizia wrote:
A Marxian ideology, combined with a materialistic-scientific view of reality, becomes a combined power that can only see man, and life, as a means to an end.
Not necessarily. Not all Marxixts are burdened with hubris.
Obviously, I am overall interested in a European renovation and my hope is that this comes about through a process of spiritual awakening.
I agree that some myths are better than others. Many Europeans dislike supernatural- themed myths. We should seek revised myths that don't include powerful supernatural persons . It's inordinately difficult to teach hoi polloi to view myths as myths and still extract the truths. I don't know
how how it can be done but sometimes it seems to me like as if a renewed myth might be evolving like a phoenix from the " dimming glow".

The more important and immediately practical consideration is how to separate the evil myths from the good ones.

Regarding the "dimming glow" of faith among Europeans: I believe that there are positively evil influences. I'd define evil not only as absence of good but more particularly as presence of fear especially as manifested by tribalism. Eliminating poverty would go some way to eliminate tribalism. On the one hand, there would be less cause for resentment, and on the other hand affluence would increase education levels.
one can get stopped in idolatry. But the better practitioners do not do this.
Of course they don't. How do people get to be better practitioners in an age of scientific enlightenment? Unitarians for instance are characterised by being bad at singing hymns because they will not sing one phrase until and unless they have decided there and then that they believe what the phrase says.
Beliefs don'f worry me if the spirit is good. One of my favourite hymns is 'The Spacious Firmament on High"
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

Belinda wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:51 pmNot necessarily. Not all Marxists are burdened with hubris.
But it is not 'hubris' that defines the outlook of a materialist and a Marxist. It is more a question of what flows from and what must necessarily follow from holding to the tenets each is based on.

It is somewhat hard to arrive at an easy definition of how 'human being' came to be defined in Europe and for Occidentals generally. But the Christian philosophers certainly had a significant role there. And their reason for valuing the human being flowed out of their core predicates.

Today, it seems to me that our materialistically-oriented systems -- in all areas really -- have reduced man to homo economicus, or as a being whose purpose is to be moulded to serve as a cog in the machinery of a large state enterprise. My impression of hard Marxism is that it is ruthless in eradicating those persons who, according to it, are a hinderance to Marxism establishing its systems. It makes sense then to simply wipe out those who see differently. These have been the historical facts of the case in fact.

Perhaps you better understand what I am getting at, though I suspect that you might not see why.

My view is that to have a functional and robust humanism you must have a social circumstance where 'the human' is understood, appreciated, cultivated and also protected. I am not sure, as you seem to be, if a post-Christian culture could long hold to those definitions which have come from a Christian worldview and culture. They will exist of course for a certain time as 'dimming glow', but will be replaced by different pragmatisms built on a materialistic outlook and, also, a Marxian-influenced outlook.