Ronald Beiner and his book "Dangerous Minds"

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alizia

Re: Ronald Beiner and his book "Dangerous Minds"

Post by Alizia »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:26 pmSo did Nietzsche, actually, so that's appropriate to the subject.

He was very much given to extravagant rhetoric and hyperbole as ways of making his important points. It seems to have worked for him, but not perhaps quite so well as he might have liked -- it makes him both more fun to read and less likely to be taken literally, even on points wherein he was literally right.
But you speak as one who is resoundingly critical of Nietzsche's perspectives. It is as if you think that had not Nietzsche come along and said everything he did, seen what he saw, that good Christians would not have been influenced to abandon their religion, and thus the European world would not have careened into chaos.

Yet my understanding is that Nietzsche embodied what had happened in European culture. That is how I see him in any case (and I have read at least 2 of his works closely, some others less closely).

While I agree that he certainly did use 'extravagant rhetoric' and wrote forcefully and that there is a seductiveness in his style, I am not sure that he can be quite so easily dismissed. My impression is that you dismiss him nearly altogether.

But there are some Christians who do not dismiss him. And there are Christian Nietzscheans. I might be one. I will try to explain myself further as things move along (but I think some of the implications of my view are already present).

I do not think that you can say that he has not been taken seriously. I think that you would have to provide a detailed rebuttal to Nietzscheanism and I also think that it is far harder than you imagine it is. What I mean by that is: Yes, you could explain yourself (as I explain myself) and yet no one would believe you! They cannot, because they cannot 'conceive' of what is being talked about because it is metaphysical and non-physical. It does not exist!

God is dead -- and we killed him.

There is a certain horrifying truth in the fact that 'God is dead -- and we killed him'. He means of course the secular-materialist will of man who turned away from 'metaphysical dreams' to 'substantial facts' cannot any longer conceive of 'transcendent truths' nor in 'God'.

I hope that you do not mind that I try to make poignant comments -- to you and to everyone. It is the only way to get things out in the open.

Nietzsche spoke rhetorically and intensely, but not necessarily 'impulsively' (without a great deal of background research and, obviously, thought).

If I speak 'impulsively' it is because I am making efforts to keep my discourse topical to myself and not only abstract. And if I refer to 'topical issues' it is not because I wish to be dramatic or sensationalist, but truly because these things are going on and they need to be considered.
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

The video I posted a couple of posts up: the maker of it removed it. Uncertain why.

I want to focus on what this fellow -- who operates the YouTube channel Resurrection Europa -- has to say about himself. The reason is because I think he illustrates things that are going on in our present. I think it must be said -- I pay attention to this because my husband and friends pay attention to this -- that this is in specific senses a movement among men. It is a reactive movement. Here is a video where he attempts to 'demolish' Jordan Peterson.

And here is what he says about himself on his webpage:
In the English common law system, when someone is declared an outlaw, they are labeled as caput lupinum, literally “wolfish head”. The outlaw is then to be treated like a wolf, a being with no rights whom citizens may harm without legal penalty.

We are living in a time of inversion, a time when emanating certain truths can trigger a cascade event in the system that will result in an attempt by the system to neutralize the sources of those truths; A time when defending the weak and innocent from malicious depravity and destruction is considered by many to be evil; A time when love for one’s own family and people is villainized as a sign of genocidal intent; A time when pursuing purity of body and soul in the name of seeking the divine is mocked and ridiculed as weakness and failure; A time ruled by people who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
I suggest that it is interesting to consider this as a 'manifestation' of something new . . . and something dangerous (in the sense Beiner and Millerman speak of).

Millerman:
But philosophers have also been regarded as downright dangerous. Ronald Beiner calls two of the most prominent philosophers of recent centuries, Nietzsche and Heidegger, “dangerous minds.” Nietzsche’s writings helped bolster the Nazi’s view of themselves as men and women of valor and will, opposed to both the superficiality of American consumerism and the ignoble egalitarianism of Bolshevism. Heidegger, too, opposed Americanism and Bolshevism, preferring to speak instead in terms of authentic dwelling, heritage, and the destiny of the Volk. During his lifetime he was a member of the Nazi party, for which he never apologized. Many of his detractors believe that the basic elements of his thought are conducive to fascistic politics.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alizia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:53 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:26 pmSo did Nietzsche, actually, so that's appropriate to the subject.

He was very much given to extravagant rhetoric and hyperbole as ways of making his important points. It seems to have worked for him, but not perhaps quite so well as he might have liked -- it makes him both more fun to read and less likely to be taken literally, even on points wherein he was literally right.
But you speak as one who is resoundingly critical of Nietzsche's perspectives.
No, not all. Not nearly all.

Of course, I don't believe in his "God is dead" idea. But it's not a terribly threatening one, actually. He offered nothing by way of proof, only a "just-so" story about how God might have been made up. If he was wrong about this, he was wrong about it. No big deal: it hurts no one that he was confused on this point...at least, not if they're thinking at all.

Meanwhile, I actually like his analysis of the rising secularism. It seems to me that in many ways he was much more fearless and consistent than many modern Atheists dare to be. He said bluntly that getting rid of God would put society outside the categories of "good" and "evil," and make "the will to power" the totalizing explanation for human motives. And all this has clearly come true, just as you say.

As for his rhetoric, that's hardly a controversial observation. Even people who love Nietzsche recognize that he's a ranter and a thunderer. He writes more for effect than substance at times, but this is the very quality that draws many too him. It makes him sound "courageous" and iconoclastic. For anyone who loves style, not only substance, this is very appealing.
It is as if you think that had not Nietzsche come along and said everything he did, seen what he saw, that good Christians would not have been influenced to abandon their religion, and thus the European world would not have careened into chaos.
No, I definitely didn't say this, and I don't think it. He just put the words to a general social trend that was going on at the time. The cause was not Nietzsche. On the other hand, he didn't impede that in any way. It is rather as you say,
Yet my understanding is that Nietzsche embodied what had happened in European culture.
My impression is that you dismiss him nearly altogether.

Not at all. I hope I don't give that impression. (Maybe you're only supposing that's how I feel about him, since I'm a Christian, and Christians are supposed to find him threatening; I don't.) In fact, I think Nietzsche had a nearly dead-right description of what the costs of making God seem "dead" were going to be. I actually wish Atheists would read him with more seriousness; many of them would quickly realize that the price he set for the death of God was going to be just too high.
I do not think that you can say that he has not been taken seriously.
Well, as I say, not as seriously as he ought to be, but by Atheists in particular. For example, you will often hear someone enthuse about Nietzsche, but then go on to say that the situation isn't so bad -- we can still have morals, meaning, law and human rights without God, they say. And that shows they have not been paying attention to ALL of Nietzsche -- just to the bits they thought would help out their Atheism or hurt the Christian case. But they're actually just not taking Nietzsche for what he actually said.
I think that you would have to provide a detailed rebuttal to Nietzscheanism
Oh, I have no stake in rebutting most of what he said. I think he was right. I hope that came through in a lot of what I said.

But I do want to see his evidence for the claim "God is dead." In all my reading of him, I have not found any basis for the claim. He just seems to presume that God must be no more than a humanly-generated concept, and that dismissing such things happens automatically upon the advent of Modernity.

But presumption is not evidence, of course. It is Nietzsche who owes us a "rebuttal" for the idea of the real existence of God.

In sum, for me, both Nietzsche and Hume inadvertently helped the case for the necessity of God. I believe that they would both be appalled to think they did but I would say that really, that's the upshot of what they actually achieved. Both made arguments that showed secularists that legitimated morality would forever be impossible without God. These arguments were so good that subsequent Atheists have been unable to defeat them.
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:24 pm But I do want to see his evidence for the claim "God is dead." In all my reading of him, I have not found any basis for the claim. He just seems to presume that God must be no more than a humanly-generated concept, and that dismissing such things happens automatically upon the advent of Modernity.

But presumption is not evidence, of course. It is Nietzsche who owes us a "rebuttal" for the idea of the real existence of God.

In sum, for me, both Nietzsche and Hume inadvertently helped the case for the necessity of God. I believe that they would both be appalled to think they did but I would say that really, that's the upshot of what they actually achieved. Both made arguments that showed secularists that legitimated morality would forever be impossible without God. These arguments were so good that subsequent Atheists have been unable to defeat them.
Interesting. Here is how I interpret it. 'God is dead -- and we killed him' is a twisting together of ironies. Not only did we kill him on the cross, we killed him again when we pursued the notion that 'the truth will set you free'. We applied this truth-seeking in the form of science and material experiment (et cetera) and through these processes, through the truth we found, not the least being Darwin and evolutionary theory but a whole View and Vision of the World that had never come into focus before -- through all of this, we 'killed the possibility' of God.

Just as I said in referencing the film Winter Light. The man who has lost his faith prays to God the only prayer he has: And what of those who want to believe but cannot?

Most modern people -- take uwot and Belinda as excellent examples! -- cannot believe in God. Perhaps they want to, but they literally cannot. Why? Because their conceptual order -- the conceptual order of Modernity -- has no way to describe God in a convincing way. You cannot do it either with mathematics, nor any equation, nor in language.

Belief in God is therefore an irrational 'leap of faith'. It has been made an 'irrational act' and often by 'desperate men'. (Desperation is a part of nihilism, in my understanding). There is not really a 'convincing argument' that proves God's existence. If there were everyone would be convinced by it! There is no proof of God and God does not appear to clarify himself. Surely you know all this.

Only those who already believe, and this could mean, and sometimes does mean, people who have not ever really thought things through in modern terms (and thus exist in a 'former time', a sort of bubble outside of history), only those who believe, believe. (And, frankly, until Christendom arose that may always have been the case!)

You seem to ask for some 'decisive proof' about how the notion of God and all the perceptual concomitants that arise with it were actually undermined. But the proof is simply that 1) you have no argument for the 'existence' of God except that one outcome of such belief has good features: Christianity, ethics and Christian culture, and 2) many people with intellectual training cannot, in seriousness, believe in the entire story on which Christianity is built. The belief is therefore undermined, and the proof is an ipso facto one.

What I am doing here is in one sense 'playing the devil's advocate' (that is a terrible pun really, given the topic!) to illustrate the problem. I challenge you to provide a clear, unambiguous answer to the problem, the huge and difficult problem.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alizia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 pm Most modern people -- take uwot and Belinda as excellent examples! -- cannot believe in God.
Oh, I think that's evidently untrue.

What was called "The Secularization Hypothesis" was popular with sociologists back in the '60s and '70s, but fell on really hard times after that. Statistically, the "religiosity" of the world has been going up, not down. And even in the most modernized countries, what's become apparent is that people are as "spiritually-inclined" as they've ever been -- however, their forms of "spirituality" now run less to the organized religion side, and more to the "private spirituality" or "esoteric" lines.

There is nothing inherent to Modern life that makes someone incapable of believing in God. But I think what does happen is that as people find more and more ways to depend on modern amenities, government, technology and so forth to meet their needs, they begin to act as if the existence or non-existence of God is no longer a matter of concern. God is not "dead" in any literal sense, but the places and roles in which people used to find themselves turning to God are fewer and fewer.

All this leaves said the most important question: "Does God become 'dead' just because some of us decide we don't feel our personal 'need' of Him anymore?" And of course, the answer is "No: if He ever existed, He still does, and if He didn't, He never did; and our indifference has no relevance to deciding that question."
You cannot do it either with mathematics, nor any equation, nor in language.
Can He describe Himself? That's a more important issue.

As Jesus famously said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." That means that it's possible for the words to be right, but for the disposition of the hearer to refuse them anyway. That attitude may be more common during the period of the Modern West; but its' an old one.
There is not really a 'convincing argument' that proves God's existence. If there were everyone would be convinced by it!
Jesus Christ didn't think that was true. He said that some people would refuse to believe "even if a man rose from the dead." It's not the convincingness of the proof that's the problem; it's the inward disposition of the one viewing it.
There is no proof of God and God does not appear to clarify himself. Surely you know all this.
Of course I don't "know" that. In fact, I believe it's quite untrue. I actually think there are excellent evidences, but those who are at pains to avoid seeing them simply will not see.

Jesus Himself spoke very eloquently of the willful blindness of the Pharisees (i.e. the religious experts) of His own day. They saw nothing He ever said or did as "evidence." It wasn't that it wasn't evidence; it's that for someone who has already decided no evidence exists, nothing constitutes evidence.
You seem to ask for some 'decisive proof' about how the notion of God and all the perceptual concomitants that arise with it were actually undermined.

No, I know how they were undermined, I think. I don't want proof of that. I want proof that Nietzsche himself would need -- the proof that the word "God" was not a reality but merely a "notion" or concept in the first place.

That, he never demonstrated. Yet he owes us that.
1) you have no argument for the 'existence' of God except that one outcome of such belief has good features: Christianity, ethics and Christian culture,

I did not say this was so. And I never offered the secondary benefits of such belief, as you mention them (like ethics, cultural cohesion, meaning, and so on) as if they were proofs of something. No, they're merely benefits. That's quite different.

A proof of God would be something more like this: a reliable mathematical-logical calculation showing the necessity of God. Or a set of empirical observations that compel the Design conclusion. Or a set of deductions from the nature of consciousness or reason itself. Better still would be the actual self-revelation of God. And best of all would be God Himself incarnate, walking among mankind, proving His existence.

All those are available: but as I said before, their acceptance as "proofs" does not depend solely on their intrinsic quality, but also on the willingness of the observer to receive them as indicating what they do, in fact, plainly indicate. And not everybody is willing to do that, just as Jesus said.
2) many people with intellectual training cannot, in seriousness, believe in the entire story on which Christianity is built.

And yet look how many can: Bacon (inventor of the Scientific Method itself), Newton, Locke, Pascal, Farraday, Babbage, Lister, Marconi, Collins, Polkinghorne...and on and on. Shall we list all the politicians, the philosophers, the engineers, the literary figures...where shall we stop?

If the skepticism of some is an argument against belief in God, then the belief of these is an argument for it.

What's clear, then, is it's far from impossible for educated, modern people to believe in God. Not only is it possible -- it happens all the time.

The key issue appears again: it's possible for some to believe, but others refuse to. What makes the difference, since the available evidence is the same?

Answer: some seek the evidence, and are prepared to see it when they find it. Others are not prepared to see it, even when it appears before them. It's a problem of the heart, not a problem of the head.
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

Question:

If I am not mistaken, the foundation of Christian belief is that Adam & Eve were expelled from a garden paradise on this Earth for disobedience.

This created humankind's condition of sin for which Christ offered Himself as a sacrifice of atonement.

This atonement offered to man, still living on Earth but in the fallen condition, a New Opportunity.

One must become a Christian if one wishes to end to sinful condition of Man and, at death, be granted eternal life in some other plane of existence.

My understanding is that this is the Primary Belief. Everything else hinges out of it and in some sense back to it.

Do you believe this?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alizia wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 am Do you believe this?
Well, I wouldn't agree with the precise theological wording you use: for example, "new opportunity" needs a lot of explanation, and "some other plane of existence" is a very odd, or perhaps incorrect, way to frame the case...depending on what you meant by it.

But I would agree that mankind's ethical condition is a result of disobedience to and alienation from God, the Creator. I would agree that man lives on earth in a morally and practically fallen condition -- he/she does some ostensibly good things, but mixes them with much evil and injustice. He/she is not what he/she should be, does not do what he/she should do, and naturally stands in a condition of rebellion against God. I would add that mankind faces the inescapable prospect of perfect justice, a full accounting for his/her rebellion against God. And I would agree that Christ is the self-offering sacrifice of atonement. And I would agree that reconciliation with God is entirely dependent on the voluntary acceptance of what Christ has done on behalf of mankind, and that eternal life is what He offers to those who will accept it.

But I would not say that this offer was merely of a "new opportunity," especially if that means just another chance to make the same old mistakes, or a one-time blank slate to try again with more mere human effort. That would completely overlook the key elements of repentance and regeneration. And, to conclude, the Biblical promise is not of life "on another plane of existence," but the judgment of sin, and redemption of this world.

I'm sorry to have to resort to some technical theological language there: ordinarily, I try to explain in my own words, because I think that's a better way to communicate. But that takes longer -- at least if one wants to get it precise -- and since you asked me to summarize quickly, I'm obliged to package as much as I can in a short space. Using a bit of the exact theological language facilitates that.

I hope that doesn't present a problem to you unpacking any of it.

Please continue.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Immanuel Can wrote:
I think Nietzsche had a nearly dead right description of what the costs of making God seem dead were going to be. I actually wish Atheists would
read him with more seriousness many of them would quickly realize that the price he set for the death of God was going to be just too high
What about all the wars in history involving religion before the twentieth century
Very often both sides believed in God yet they still fought each other despite this

The two world wars had nothing to do with the death of God because Europe was still Christian despite what Nietzsche said
Because a continent that had predominantly one belief system went to war with itself twice and that left sixty million dead

God has never died although he may not be quite as popular as he once was
You therefore cannot blame the horrors of the twentieth century on atheism
Stalin and Pol Pot were atheists but that was incidental to their psychopathy
Alizia

Post by Alizia »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 am But I would agree that mankind's ethical condition is a result of disobedience to and alienation from God, the Creator. I would agree that man lives on earth in a morally and practically fallen condition -- he/she does some ostensibly good things, but mixes them with much evil and injustice. He/she is not what he/she should be, does not do what he/she should do, and naturally stands in a condition of rebellion against God. I would add that mankind faces the inescapable prospect of perfect justice, a full accounting for his/her rebellion against God. And I would agree that Christ is the self-offering sacrifice of atonement. And I would agree that reconciliation with God is entirely dependent on the voluntary acceptance of what Christ has done on behalf of mankind, and that eternal life is what He offers to those who will accept it.
My point -- I assume you noticed that I was making an effort to set you up -- is that I do not think that you 'believe in' the story of Adam & Eve in a paradise garden who were then expelled for disobedience and that these two persons are the father & mother of humankind and the author of all humankind's sufferings & misfortunes.

God is Dead -- and We Killed Him, in my view, must be looked at in this way: through following through on 'the truth shall set you free' promise, the real truth was sought, in this but in hundreds of other areas and arenas, and what 'truth' revealed was the undermining of the facticity of the Story. Anyone could easily go on and bring up as a topic of truthful enquiry numerous different elements of the Christian story: the facticity on which it was based.

God is Dead, We Killed Him, and We Turned Him Into a Complex Metaphor.

You could go on in this vein. We have undermined former notions of God and if God is to survive we have to 'resurrect Him' through different intellectual and perceptual ways. Or even through poetry!

(I have a feeling that you will take this to mean that I do not believe in God or 'divine intelligence' but that is not the case. I am trying to speak in a general way to a far larger, intellectual and modern problem).

What you have done in the quoted paragraph (you did not really answer my question but you offered this as an answer) is to have understood the Adam and Eve story as a story. Parable, allegory, metaphor, take your pick.

But, since you yourself (correct me if I am wrong) do not believe the story in a pure, factual sense, you show how the story itself had been undermined by the truth-quest. Nevertheless a particular 'meaning' does still stand and does still exist: that we live in a 'fallen condition'. But that is not really to say much. Or to put it another way it is to refer to a complex metaphor that, because it is removed from the facticity of the Story, could be expressed by anyone, employing any particular and even very different allegorical story.

Therefore, in what I think is a significant sense, you provide an example of what happens when 'truth is sought' and 'truth is revealed': you have undermined a primary element of the story upon which an entire narrative has been established, and you have shown that the only way to preserve it -- the only way that you could preserve the meaning in it -- is by converting it into a metaphor.

What then happens is that the whole story eventually, piece by piece, fades away -- that is, no longer is seen as 'real' -- and yet some Meaning remains, like the smile of the Cheshire Cat.

In some sense then, it seems to me, you show that to be able to 'believe', one's only option is to seize the irrational. Said in another way, to be a Christian believer, and also a 'rational philosopher' (if you'll allow that term), one must turn against one's own disbelief and 'take a leap of faith'.

But what would all of this mean for me? I mean me personally. That is, what do I do or what have I done after having taken all this in? Why would I then still choose to 'be a believer' or to act as if I were one? My answer is I think one that demonstrates what I call 'desperation' but I do not mean this as a negative term nor as it sounds. You have, in a post just above, described what happens to a person psychologically when they face nihilism and the loss of an existential metaphysics based in facticity, less in metaphor. They still have their 'tendency to believe' and they search for surrogates. Isn't that what you said? That when religiousness is removed, it is replaced in a sense by what we might have to call 'obsessions': things that fill the void.

I do not mean to say that I am either 'desperate' nor am I 'filling the void' (and I mean with senseless activities that are a surrogate for properly lived life infused with ethical and spiritual values). But I do mean to point out that Nihilism is the result of a series of causes that are not easy of 'cure'. And that these diseases surround us. In fact I would go further: in many ways they define us if modern life is understood as having neurotic aspects.

So, when the man in the Bergman film Winter Light prays (half-heartedly of course, in his depression) "And what of those who want to believe but cannot?" I think it is a statement with definite poignancy.

What I personally do is to see -- I really have no other option -- all of these stories as elaborate metaphors. As in we see now through a darkened glass but at some future point we will not require the metaphor.

I also now want to offer a comment to your truthful statement that religiosity is not decreasing but increasing. This is true. And what has happened is that both Pentecostalism and Islam have have exploded as 'options for religiousness'. One could make an interesting study out of the influence of Pentecostalism in American culture, and world culture, just through an analysis of the highly-charged musical form of rock music. But here is a paragraph (I quickly pulled one up) to illustrate part of what will be my criticism of Pentecostalism as a 'religious option':

From an article God Gave Rock and Roll to You
Like many other Pentecostal preachers – who were moving into politics at a rapid rate – Swaggart believed that the Holy Ghost emboldened him to witness the arrow-straight truths of the Bible. With his southern drawl, he thundered against Hollywood celebrities, evolutionary scientists, communists, homosexuals, Catholics, feminists, secular liberals and other ‘enemies’ of the faith. Americans had lost interest in the Bible, he warned with deadly seriousness. A reporter at the New York Times took note. The Reagan-era televangelist was ‘tapping some powerful resentments here; he is speaking to the disenfranchised’. The country rightly deserved God’s judgment, Swaggart assured his audience with fury.
And one could -- obviously -- see the explosion in Islam as having similar, but very different, emotional/enthusiastic bases. What I mean to say is that I am not sure that either of these really represent 'positive developments' within the Occidental (and the Oriental) world. (Obviously, my overall concern is the Occident.)

What does this mean? Well, I would suggest that highly emotionalized Pentacostelism is certainly an option for a believer, but I would also suggest that it is not just partly irrational, but highly and even dangerously irrational. It does not require a thoughtful, thinking, intelligent citizen who carefully and theologically thinks things through with philosophical care, but rather an individual who chooses a sort of 'schizophrenic break' as a way of confronting Nihilism and the 'nihilistic condition of postmodern man'.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 amWhat about all the wars in history involving religion before the twentieth century
Well, a lot of people don't know much about that. They hear "religion causes wars," and they say, "Yeah, I guess so." But they don't go any farther in their thinking, so they don't plug it into facts.

So maybe I ought to ask, do you know anything about those wars? Like do you know which "religions" were involved? Or what percentage of all wars they were? At the risk of sounding a little pedantic, maybe I can offer a few points. Pardon me if you already know them.

There were some that are plausibly a cause of some wars. Islam, for example, is responsible for 1/2 of all such wars. But many religions (say, the Quakers, the Hassidim, or the Zoroastrians) were not responsible for any. However, all religions combined do not, by the most generous secular estimates, amount to more than 7-8% of all war dead. Just under 4% go to Islam, and just under 4% to all other religions combined, including the Hindus, the Sikhs, the Catholics, the Buddhists, the Polytheists...and so on.

In truth, most wars have not been fought for religion, but for things like territory, resources, pride, ethnicity, language, ideology, food, wealth and so on.

What is by far the biggest toll of war dead? All the completely secular wars in the 20th Century -- over 148 million killed. And by far the most homicidal cause? Atheist political regimes, and particularly socialist ones.
Very often both sides believed in God yet they still fought each other despite this
That's a really good point: all religions are not the same. Mere belief in "a god" isn't actually worth much on the moral meter. It has to be the right conception of God, and it has to sponsor the right ethics. People can do evil in the name of a god (witness the Islamic Crusades, for example). But the question is better framed, "Which 'God(s)'?"

We can't really blame a particular religion for what people who didn't believe in it, or didn't obey its ethics did...no matter what name they claimed. But we can blame it for what it advocated, and what those who obeyed it did.

That sets Islam apart particularly. Those who kill in the name of Islam obey Muhammed, the Koran, the Haddiths and the Imams. Those who kill, and say they do it in the name of the One who told them to, "Love your neighbour as yourself" are manifestly lying. That's quite straightforward, I think you'd agree.
Europe was still Christian despite what Nietzsche said
Well, no, not really. You see, the term "Christian" gets wrongly applied to all kinds of things. Often it's used very superficially.

One of its loosest and most misleading usages is to speak of a place as "a Christian country," which usually means no more than that at one time most of the people had some nominal claim that that's what they wanted to call themselves. They may not have any such practices anymore...indeed, England has been called an "Anglican" country -- but is there any meaningful sense in which that is still true? Hardly. At most, Anglicanism is a relic of the royal past, not the primary present motivation for English politics. I'm sure you can see that.

So really, it's only in that very illusory sense that we can speak of a place like Europe as being "Christian," or "Catholic" or "Lutheran" or anything else. In point of fact, it was a patchwork made up of some genuinely "religious" people, but some from good and some from not-so-good "religions," agnostics, Atheists and mere nominalists.

Now, none of the wars of that time were started or carried on for "religious" reasons. WW1 and 2, for example, were driven by things like Colonialism, militarism, economics and particularly by secular political ideologies like Nazism and Marxism. And there's no serious historiography that leaves those motives out of the story of the causes of the World Wars, as you probably know. But "religion"? That never makes the list, and with good reason.

However, as an aside, it's interesting that statistically, the leader of any Atheist regime has a 52% chance of killing a substantial portion (no less than 200,000) of his own people. Very interesting...and not a little disturbing, since all our regimes today are functionally at least agnostic, if not practically Atheist in all cases.
Actually, as you can see from the stats, we can and should.
Well, not JUST them, of course. There were lots of others...like Mao, or Castro, for example. It seems that anytime an Atheist regime is established, the bodies pile up. Is that just a coincidence?

But let me ask you this: how is it that in cases where you perceive there to be some "religion" you ask us to blame it for whatever wars happened, but if Atheism was the regnant ideology, suddenly you want us to give it a complete pass? That seems rather unfair, doesn't it? Wouldn't you suppose that it was odd to blame "religion" for things manifestly done without any religious incentive, such as WW1 and 2 (your examples), and to excuse all the atrocities proudly perpetrated in the name of Atheist ideologies? (Like the gulags, the killing fields, the purges, the pogroms, the extermination camps and so on)? Doesn't that seem to you like a bit of an unequal scale?

I would think that "sauce for that goose is sauce for that gander," wouldn't you?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Man's 'disobedience' is not a sin but is a description of man's condition. Unlike the other animals and plants in the Garden man can choose for himself . Man chooses for himself by means of his cultures of belief and practice. it's men's responsibility to find the ways back to the Good.True, the Good was incarnated to show us the way to the Good.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alizia wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:18 pm do not think that you 'believe in' the story of Adam & Eve
It's less controversial than you think.

Whatever the particulars, even were you a thoroughgoing evolutionist, you'd have to believe that the human race was started by an original mating pair. It's far less plausible to suppose that the fully-evolved humanity sprang suddenly into existence all-at-once, on multitudinous fronts -- and that would require some near-magical kind of genetic explanation. Rather, the evolutionary story requires that a pair that was possessed of the right DNA combination eventually mated, and that their progeny represented the next stage of evolution.

Now, all that raises a question as to how that genetic "advantage" was preserved by the original mating pair from reversion in the very next generation: but it's not my job to try to save the Evolutionists' story. Either way, whatever you want to believe, you can see that an original mating pair is inescapable.
God is Dead -- and We Killed Him, in my view, must be looked at in this way: through following through on 'the truth shall set you free' promise, the real truth was sought, in this but in hundreds of other areas and arenas, and what 'truth' revealed was the undermining of the facticity of the Story. Anyone could easily go on and bring up as a topic of truthful enquiry numerous different elements of the Christian story: the facticity on which it was based.
What did you have in mind?
You could go on in this vein. We have undermined former notions of God and if God is to survive we have to 'resurrect Him' through different intellectual and perceptual ways. Or even through poetry!

It wouldn't work, though. We'd merely be deluding ourselves (no matter how poetically or pleasantly) if God were "dead." (as a concept and as a reality)
What you have done in the quoted paragraph (you did not really answer my question but you offered this as an answer) is to have understood the Adam and Eve story as a story. Parable, allegory, metaphor, take your pick
No, see above.

But I think you've grabbed all this at the wrong end. We could discuss Cain's hat size or the number of angels on the head of a pin, but these are distractions, really. Begin at the core -- Jesus Christ. Was He what and who he said? Work outward from there, and you'll get a solid grip on what a Christian self-understanding is.
Nevertheless a particular 'meaning' does still stand and does still exist: that we live in a 'fallen condition'.

That is a real problem for Atheism. What does it mean to say there is "evil" in the world, or that mankind is "fallen" in any sense (moral, practical, whatever)? In the universe as Atheists understand it to be, there is no objective meaning to "evil" and no "good" from which anyone can "fall." So just what is the right explanation for what human beings have come to call "evil" in this world?

We all know it exists: and, of course, a person can be an Atheist and still love good things and hate evil ones if he/she chooses. But for the Atheist the real question is, HOW do we know evil exists? Nothing in the Atheist account gives a substantive basis to the idea.

To me, that has always been a cardinal flaw in Atheism. It has no account of evil. And yet, it seem intuitively very obvious -- perhaps nothing is so obvious -- that this world is not what it should be, and is not what it should be in very serious, troubling moral ways. Failure to grasp that signals more than a lack of moral seriousness; it signals a real departure from reality, I would suggest.
the only way that you could preserve the meaning in it -- is by converting it into a metaphor.

As you can see, that is not what I have done. But if I had, I would agree with your critique: making these things metaphor does not save them. However, I have met many secular moralists who try to do just that -- to preserve Christian morality by claiming to find ways to hold onto the metaphorical value of things they admit they believe are just not literally true.
What then happens is that the whole story eventually, piece by piece, fades away -- that is, no longer is seen as 'real' -- and yet some Meaning remains, like the smile of the Cheshire Cat.

Yes, that's essentially the decline historians call "The Loss of Faith" in the early-modern West.

It happened because people started seeing their "Christianity" in a loose, metaphorical, merely-moralizing kind of way...they said, "We live in a Christian country," but they felt they could increasingly let go of the particular facts and moral demands of their own proclaimed "religion." The term "Christian" became a sort of lame synonym for "polite, socially-respectable Westerner," and then kept fading until it meant little more than "my family was once nominally Christian," and then "I live in a non-Muslim, non-pantheist, non-polytheist but basically secular region with vague Judea-Christian legal traditions," and then it really meant nothing much at all.

Of course, there wee also always those who remained real in their faith. But the numbers of those people merely nominally attached to "Christendom" certainly fell off sharply at the turn of the century, and especially after the horrors of WW 1.
In some sense then, it seems to me, you show that to be able to 'believe', one's only option is to seize the irrational. Said in another way, to be a Christian believer, and also a 'rational philosopher' (if you'll allow that term), one must turn against one's own disbelief and 'take a leap of faith'.
Okay, but we have to be careful here, there are not two straightforward opposites, cold-blooded rationality versus total irrationality. That would be epistemologically naive, if we were to suppose it. And it is not the case that a believer is "irrational," and skepticism is "rational." There are rational and irrational beliefs, with degrees of each, and there are irrational skepticisms, such as skepticism about one's own existence.

A "leap of faith" is part of all science. When I perform ten experiments and presume to think that the same phenomena will appear when I conduct the eleventh (even though I have not done it, and perhaps never will bother), that's a leap of faith. When Newton's legendary apple hit him on the head (if indeed it did -- we don't know), Newton did not already know about the forces involved. It was necessary for him to have some faith that his hypothesis might turn out to be explanatory -- and if he'd know it already by pure rationality, he'd have need no further science.

You get the idea. We mustn't buy into the Atheist's facile opposition between knowledge and belief, or between facts and faith. They are not opposites, but coordinated features of human understanding.
But what would all of this mean for me? I mean me personally. That is, what do I do or what have I done after having taken all this in? Why would I then still choose to 'be a believer' or to act as if I were one? My answer is I think one that demonstrates what I call 'desperation' but I do not mean this as a negative term nor as it sounds. You have, in a post just above, described what happens to a person psychologically when they face nihilism and the loss of an existential metaphysics based in facticity, less in metaphor. They still have their 'tendency to believe' and they search for surrogates. Isn't that what you said? That when religiousness is removed, it is replaced in a sense by what we might have to call 'obsessions': things that fill the void.

Well, yes, and things that are usually totally unworthy, as well. People become consumerists, desperate pleasure-grabbers, anesthetized by entertainment, fanatical political ideologues, and so forth. When the ceiling of the world is nailed to the horizon, there's nothing left to desire but the transient and empty materials of a dying world. And these are desperate responses, in the negative sense.

However, I think we "religious" types can also practice a desperation born of that sort of angst. I think the mythologizing of belief is one example -- a desperate attempt to keep the "religious" payoffs while not actually believing at all. Or the bifurcation of knowledge from belief -- that's also a desperate measure, usually to keep the former from destroying the latter. Or the insistence on saying one believes what one does not, in fact, believe at all -- that's indoctrination.

"Bad faith" has not just its Sartrean forms, but its Kierkegaardian ones as well.
I do not mean to say that I am either 'desperate' nor am I 'filling the void' (and I mean with senseless activities that are a surrogate for properly lived life infused with ethical and spiritual values). But I do mean to point out that Nihilism is the result of a series of causes that are not easy of 'cure'. And that these diseases surround us. In fact I would go further: in many ways they define us if modern life is understood as having neurotic aspects.
Yes, quite. The meaninglessness of life under secular modern expectations has been widely remarked by secular theorists, artists and philosophers. The desperate attempt to keep meaning in an essentially meaningless existence, what can it produce but mental illness?

But, we might ask, how much better adjusted would be the desperate attempt to keep God out of the universe, when in fact He really exists? Would that produce any better a mental condition?
So, when the man in the Bergman film Winter Light prays (half-heartedly of course, in his depression) "And what of those who want to believe but cannot?" I think it is a statement with definite poignancy.
Well, one of my big influences and favourite authors has been Thomas Hardy. You could probably not find any novelist who better explained what it's like to live with the longing for a God you neither believe in nor can afford to disbelieve in freely. He was not a Christian, by any standard -- but he was not a happy Atheist either. He was a tortured man, a lost soul, but brilliant and honest.

In fact, my own commitment to Christianity was largely a product of reading some of the great Atheists and agnostics. Their answers were so dusty, and their paralysis in the face of evil so great that they made me look for better answers. So I owe them one for that.
I also now want to offer a comment to your truthful statement that religiosity is not decreasing but increasing. This is true. And what has happened is that both Pentecostalism and Islam have have exploded as 'options for religiousness'.

Yes. Lots of people don't know that. I'm interested to see that you do. The former, in particular, is growing by conversion; the latter is largely growing by physical reproduction and conquest. But both are expanding.

What's equally interesting is the number of "rogue" religions on offer -- Beatles Buddhism, the New Age, astrology, psychics, crystals, spirit-guides, "wellness" cults, and so on. And over all these is the common "smorgasbord" religions of the West, in which contradictory elements of each are poached and recombined into a melange to suit the individual. All are exploding.

And though it would raise great ire, I would add socialism, Atheism, social justice, environmental religions, and a whole bunch of other such stuff to the list of what I regard as "religions." After all, they all are used as substitutes in the same purpose -- to introduce meaning into a situation in which no inherent meaning has been located before.
And one could -- obviously -- see the explosion in Islam as having similar, but very different, emotional/enthusiastic bases. What I mean to say is that I am not sure that either of these really represent 'positive developments' within the Occidental (and the Oriental) world. (Obviously, my overall concern is the Occident.)
Yes, enthusiasts are a concern. I agree. There are immoderate forms of all kinds of things...however, I do not think this counts for much in worrying about religions, unless the fundamental elements of the religions in question actually advocate these kinds of excesses. In other words, a fundamentalist Quaker, Hassidim or JW really doesn't trouble me: their issues are their own. But a fundamentalist Jihadi or a fundamentalist Atheist does: both are aggressive and political.
It does not require a thoughtful, thinking, intelligent citizen who carefully and theologically thinks things through with philosophical care, but rather an individual who chooses a sort of 'schizophrenic break' as a way of confronting Nihilism and the 'nihilistic condition of postmodern man'.
Yes. And this is what I would point to as a "bad faith" example. We can't just embrace a belief because we feel it's a cold world without it; it actually has to be convincing to us as true. So these are not cases of adjusting to Nihilism, but rather what Camus called, "intellectual suicide" to avoid Nihilism.

But so is being an Atheist who insists that meaning, morality, social order, law and human rights can be legitimized. Any Atheist that says that either has just not understood the problem, or has not really thought about it, or he has simply taken one look at the big, black pit of Nihilism and, in terror, has eaten his brain.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote;
Whatever the particulars, even were you a thoroughgoing evolutionist, you'd have to believe that the human race was started by an original mating pair.
Do you mean homo sapiens? H Sapiens evolved from some other species. All species evolved from other species and if you go far enough into the past you find that land animals evolved from sea animals. There is no original mating pair. Life forms that reproduce sexually evolved from single celled forms.

Alizia wrote:
That when religiousness is removed, it is replaced in a sense by what we might have to call 'obsessions': things that fill the void.
Too often! It would be better if the age of faith were still here than that modern ideologies proliferate and destroy. There is a third way: people can and sometimes do cope with not knowing.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:40 pm Immanuel Can wrote;
Whatever the particulars, even were you a thoroughgoing evolutionist, you'd have to believe that the human race was started by an original mating pair.
Do you mean homo sapiens?
Indeed.
H Sapiens evolved from some other species. All species evolved from other species and if you go far enough into the past you find that land animals evolved from sea animals. There is no original mating pair.
According to the evolutionary story, a sexual evolutionary advancement must be achieved by the genetic contribution of two progenitors, not of only one. So whatever "pre-humans" one posits, from paramecia to late-ape, there must have been a time when there was a particular pair that possessed the requisite genetic code for homo sapiens and contributed it -- and all the rest of the "pre-humans" simply died out, says the story.

In this story, it doesn't matter how many different kinds of "pre-humans" one posits to have existed. At some point, there must have been an original mating pair of homo sapiens. It could not be otherwise.

The alternative idea, that suddenly there were multiple groups of homo sapiens that sprang into existence for no genetic cause, would violated the basic idea of evolutionism -- gradualism. So that's not going to fly with anybody.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 am

What about all the wars in history involving religion before the twentieth century

The two world wars had nothing to do with the death of God because Europe was still Christian despite what Nietzsche said
Because a continent that had predominantly one belief system went to war with itself twice and that left sixty million dead

God has never died although he may not be quite as popular as he once was
nothing incidental about the ussr

-Imp