The Power of Now - by Eckhart Tolle

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Greta, you forget: David worked or works for Tolle.

Post by henry quirk »

Birds of a feather.
henry quirk

ET is not a nuclear moderator: he's a snake oil salesman.

Post by henry quirk »

If city life makes you crazy: Get. Out. Of. The. City.

Don't give money to a con man who'll feed you horse manure.

And -- yeah -- Bill O'Reilly is another overpaid conman/hack which really ain't got nuthin' to do with the the heap of dirt on the table, that bein' E. Tolle.
Greta

ET is just a guy who worked out how to stay calm

Post by Greta »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 pm If city life makes you crazy: Get. Out. Of. The. City.

Don't give money to a con man who'll feed you horse manure.

And -- yeah -- Bill O'Reilly is another overpaid conman/hack which really ain't got nuthin' to do with the the heap of dirt on the table, that bein' E. Tolle.
Not so easy to Get. Out. Of. The. City. Because. People. Tend. To. Set. Down. Roots. And. Have. Obligations. You. Know. Young. Henry.

Maybe you could do with a bit of ET as you seem pretty wired at times :lol:

Plenty of his stuff is out there for free. Those who can't afford his books or live presentations can still access his work for nix. Not seeing a problem here. If a person puts a product out on the market - in this case, ideas - that has brought good feelings to numerous people, then why should they not charge for it?

His product is not of interest to you. You don't have to buy it.

Okay, forget Bill O'Reilly. Who are your main influences?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Can't get out? Then invest in beer: damn sight better than Tolle.

#

"you seem pretty wired at times"

Zest for life, Greta: just zest for life.

#

"If a person puts a product out on the market - in this case, ideas - that has brought good feelings to numerous people, then why should they not charge for it?"

Never said they shouldn't: i favor the free market...sell that snake oil...I'm just sayin': if you're life is wantin', Tolle ain't the guy to make it right.

#

"His product is not of interest to you. You don't have to buy it."

Damn straight I ain't buyin' it.

#

"Okay, forget Bill O'Reilly. Who are your main influences?"

Yeah, I ain't seein' how my 'influences' have diddly to do with the topic at hand.
Greta

Re:

Post by Greta »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 amCan't get out? Then invest in beer: damn sight better than Tolle.
🤮

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 amZest for life, Greta: just zest for life.
Not seein' that in yer sugarplum.

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 amNever said they shouldn't: i favor the free market...sell that snake oil...I'm just sayin': if you're life is wantin', Tolle ain't the guy to make it right.
No one can do thet. All ET does is provide some tools and th' like ti sort out yer mind. There's other tools but it depends 'n whut folks' issues are, don' it?

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 am"Okay, forget Bill O'Reilly. Who are your main influences?"

Yeah, I ain't seein' how my 'influences' have diddly to do with the topic at hand.[/quote]

Who do yer lissen to? Many lissen to ET but whut yer sayin' goes waaaay b'yond criticism.

So, if y'all reckon him so lackin' in depth an' in content, then folks cain't gauge yer standards, 'n thet makes yer comments jes' more worthless online bile.

Jes' sayin', cowboy.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"All ET does is provide some tools and th' like ti sort out yer mind."

Snake oil.

#

"Who do yer lissen to?"

Who do I follow (is what you mean)?: nemo.

#

"whut yer sayin' goes waaaay b'yond criticism"

Insert any salesman you like: it's ALL snake oil (sumthin' you appear to have a taste for...as you like...dupe).
Walker

Re: The Power of Now - by Eckhart Tolle

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 pm
The issue here is that people like ET (hehe) are needed because high populations of humans in tight clusters are clearly selected (natural/cultural selection) and they now dominate the globe, but there's a cost. As the whole increases in population, individuals become more stressed and unhappy. Neurotic.
I’ve read Tolle’s account of awakening.
Seen some videos. Never met the man.
He’s authentic. That's why he's liked.

The compassion practically oozes from his pores.

Here’s something Henry isn’t considering and it’s a shocking blind eye to human nature.
Yes, shocking I say, considering libertarianism and capitalism.

:)

Unless they’re retailers or junk dealers, people value what they pay for, don't you know.
For many things, such as advice, people perceive more value if more money is paid.
At least, those who buy top shelf do, and when people are buying for their heads or bodies, it's usually top shelf stuff.

This has already been proven by scientific Youtube experiments. :wink:

Unleash a world class concert musician in a subway concourse and just a few people are going to stop and listen for free to what they have to pay $500 to hear down at the concert hall. Most folks are just gonna walk on by, Burt. Or else they'll walk away, Renee.

Of course, if you light up a sign over his head naming his ticket price, and that his music is pro-Green (don't worry, you don't have explain that on the signage, it's virtue signaling) then more value will be perceived when he is heard for free in the subway concourse … and upon seeing the sign the same folks who walked on past the sound of angels will consider themselves $500 richer for the free hear hear.

To summarize, if you're a typical greedy, mercenary Westerner and you bought the ticket to Tolle, you’re going to pay attention because you paid … and if any of Tolle’s Trolls * show up at the event, they will get little tolerance from a paying audience.

* :D
henry quirk

"people value what they pay for"

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, I know: pity they value poop so much of the time.

#

Tolle’s Trolls: got better things to do than attend a 'revival'.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Yeah, never mind the more significant point of the posting.

Lasik surgery. Buy 1, get 1 free, best price in town? No thanks.

Tolle's got class, and compassion.

That people will pay for it is a commentary on the way of the world, not Tolle.

I wouldn't pay for it.

Don't need to pay for it.

Neither do you.

If you did, you would.
Walker

Re: "people value what they pay for"

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:18 am Yeah, I know: pity they value poop so much of the time.

#

Tolle’s Trolls: got better things to do than attend a 'revival'.
You do raise a significant philosophical question.

What determines authenticity?
That's what the people are paying for.

Do you think they're paying for data?
No sir. Not with Tolle.
And I can damn well guarantee you they're not going to pay for poop, unless they're farmers.

So, what's the nature of Tolle's authenticity?
Walker

Post by Walker »

One thing about Tolle.
He does give a considered response.

I remember once writing a very-well considered response on some forum from the dusty past.
(The power of then.)

Know what the response was?

The response was … “Meh.”

I learn.
Good practice.
Greta

Re:

Post by Greta »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 am "All ET does is provide some tools and th' like ti sort out yer mind."

Snake oil.
Then again, you consider just about anything that's not related to your ideals as snake oil. ET's work is used by cognitive therapists but they are not libertarians' favourite people and, thus, not yours.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Yeah, never mind the more significant point of the posting."

I thought the whole 'paying for value' thing was the point. Instead, I guess, it was the 'authentic' thing (he's seen as 'authentic', by some, I'll give you that).

#

"So, what's the nature of Tolle's authenticity?"

Hell if I know...ask Greta...me: I think he's a hokum meister.

#

“Meh.”

Yeah, I'm about there myself.

##

"ET's work is used by cognitive therapists but they are not libertarians' favourite people and, thus, not yours."

I don't know anything about cognitive therapy or what Libertarians or other libertarians think of cognitive therapy.
Greta

Re:

Post by Greta »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 pm"ET's work is used by cognitive therapists but they are not libertarians' favourite people and, thus, not yours."

I don't know anything about cognitive therapy or what Libertarians or other libertarians think of cognitive therapy.
As with you, I don't know anything about progressives or "liberals" or what they think about issues either [sic]. Since you have descended to mindless disingenuousness I'll take that as consession that you were in the wrong again and leave it.
Inkthing

Post by Inkthing »

Hating in that way on the work of this man is the same as blow him and preach his work like he's God: a thoughtless attitude.

Even if things in the book could be guru enlightment shit, there are some real philosophical concept like the identification with our minds which help control our thoughts and understand we are not a slave of it.