The Power of Now - by Eckhart Tolle

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

'nuff said, bitch

Post by henry quirk »

greta,

I'm not a member of the Libertarian party, so I don't what the party position is on anything.

I don't have Libertarian or libertarian friends or cronies, so I have no one to plot with or plan with or compare notes with.

I don't belong to any libertarian or Libertarian organizations or forums.

I don't read libertarian or Libertarian books or magazines.

My libertarianism (or anarchism or anarchistic individualism or free will-ism or self-ownership-ism) is mine, sussed out on my own, unconnected to any movement or group.

I call myself libertarian cuz it's a label I can apply that doesn't chafe too much, not cuz I'm a member of a tribe.

Now, having explained myself I move onto the matter of you callin' me a liar...

Go fuck yourself, greta, long and hard, with a well-sharpened steak knife.
henry quirk

my last word about Tolle (and you, his fans)

Post by henry quirk »

Ink,

If an adult needs a stranger, by way of a book, to tell him he's not the slave of hs life/thoughts/etc. then that needy person is severely retarded.

And Tolle: he just shovels up shit, labels it 'teaching' or 'wisdom' and those poor retarded souls just eat it up.

As they (you) like.
Walker

Re: The Power of Now - by Eckhart Tolle

Post by Walker »

What's the nature of anyone's authenticity?

If you don't know, no need to reply.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Inkthing wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 pm Hating in that way on the work of this man is the same as blow him and preach his work like he's God: a thoughtless attitude.

Even if things in the book could be guru enlightment shit, there are some real philosophical concept like the identification with our minds which help control our thoughts and understand we are not a slave of it.
A guru is a teacher.
The teacher must be subject knowledgeable, and trusted by the taught.

Sadhguru is another story.
That's much more personal.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 pm Property ownership is not an illusion if you pay your debts - because debts aren't illusions either. By the same token, life is not an illusion because it needs to be maintained and worked at to sustain.
Realty reality = The cost of society's benefits.

Moving to the outback of some continent makes possible painting your cabin purple if you please and property taxes aren't needed to pay for roads. However, on NA the outback cost is living with bears, so make that door strong.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 pm "Yeah, never mind the more significant point of the posting."

I thought the whole 'paying for value' thing was the point. Instead, I guess, it was the 'authentic' thing (he's seen as 'authentic', by some, I'll give you that).
The significant point was that paying often determines value.

5 second example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7onI2Xw9U

People often think that just because they've paid their dues, that their views have value.
henry quirk

pick your poison

Post by henry quirk »

Greta

Re: my last word about Tolle (and you, his fans)

Post by Greta »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:56 pm Ink,

If an adult needs a stranger, by way of a book, to tell him he's not the slave of hs life/thoughts/etc. then that needy person is severely retarded.
It's probably best if you keep quiet and just let the grownups talk, little fella.
Walker

Re: pick your poison

Post by Walker »

Thanks Henry. I read some, will read the rest later. What I read was concise and informative, yet it links perception of authenticity right Now, with knowledge of the past.

This raises the question, does perception of authenticity in the Now depend on knowledge of the past?

Jiddu Krishnamurti would say, no.

Here’s an authentic bitch who is inauthentic in regard to her objective purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... MrBFNoHBkg

She may be a letter-of-the law, three-strikes-you're-out asshole (selectively), but she is not in synch with the spirit of the law.
henry quirk

"does perception of authenticity in the Now depend on knowledge of the past?"

Post by henry quirk »

Translation: to recognize honesty, does a body need experience?

Of course.

When I think 'authenticity' I think 'honesty'. A fellow might foist up terrible garbage but do so honestly (he really believes his shit). Such a person is wrong-headed but not a hokum meister. Another fellow can offer up the same terrible garbage but he does so cynically, knowin' damn well it's garbage. Such a person is not wrong-headed: he's a hokum meister.

The wrong-headed fellow is 'authentic'; the cynical fellow is not.

Both should be avoided; only one ought be tarred & feathered.

#

My ancient ipad can't do youtube.
Walker

Re: "does perception of authenticity in the Now depend on knowledge of the past?"

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:11 pm My ancient ipad can't do youtube.
Still musing the topic of "authentic" ... along the lines of, everyone is authentic in the sense that one can only be what one is. If one is impersonating, then one is authentically a person impersonating, which has deeper implications than semantic hair-splitting.

Here’s the headline and link to a description of the youtube video:

Is this ‘Animal Farm’? Concerned citizen calls out liberal city council who treat him with total contempt

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/03/21 ... mpt-735382
Walker

Re: "does perception of authenticity in the Now depend on knowledge of the past?"

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:11 pm Translation: to recognize honesty, does a body need experience?

Of course.

When I think 'authenticity' I think 'honesty'. A fellow might foist up terrible garbage but do so honestly (he really believes his shit). Such a person is wrong-headed but not a hokum meister. Another fellow can offer up the same terrible garbage but he does so cynically, knowin' damn well it's garbage. Such a person is not wrong-headed: he's a hokum meister.

The wrong-headed fellow is 'authentic'; the cynical fellow is not.

Both should be avoided; only one ought be tarred & feathered.
Here’s an opinion about “A Truly Great Phony,” with an explanation in the link.
https://townhall.com/columnists/thomass ... y-n1673702

The author who wrote the headline is certainly dependent upon his past knowledge.
His past knowledge makes him an expert in the field where the phony was nancing *.

* word used in a recent youtube link, movie thread.

An investment in updated technology is worth staying current with aspects of culture, which is a worthwhile to philosophy in sniffing out principles within the unfolding matrix of reality.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Based on the article: the members of the Seattle City Council are authentic assholes (much like the phony) certainly they aren't employees of Seattle (any more than the phony was an employee of America).

Tech: meh.
Walker

Re: Re:

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 pm "Yeah, never mind the more significant point of the posting."

I thought the whole 'paying for value' thing was the point. Instead, I guess, it was the 'authentic' thing (he's seen as 'authentic', by some, I'll give you that).
The significant point was that paying often determines value.

5 second example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7onI2Xw9U

People often think that just because they've paid their dues, that their views have value.
The link is a scene from the movie, Goodfellas.

The main character and narrator, who began the gangster life in his early teens, is now married and has recently made his first big-time theft, which led to a lot of money and praise from his peers. This happened at Christmas-time.

In the link to the five-second movie clip, he pushes his way through his own front door hollering, “I bought the most expensive tree they had!”

If that’s not an ironic meme, it should be.

The main character valued the tree because it was expensive. Thanks to the way things are, that’s often true. For example: fresh drinking water after a big hurricane.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:50 pm Based on the article: the members of the Seattle City Council are authentic assholes (much like the phony) certainly they aren't employees of Seattle (any more than the phony was an employee of America).

Tech: meh.
True enough.

Also, if the chair commanded a city cop (an employee of Seattle) to remove the annoyance, it would be done.

If an object of her annoyance commanded the city cop to remove the chair, it would not be done.

So, who be the boss?