The Power of Now - by Eckhart Tolle

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

"who be the boss?"

Post by henry quirk »

We are. We just happen to be dealin' (poorly) with long-term, wide-scale, 'abuse of the rules' by a whole whack of employees. It's not an insurmountable circumstance.
Inkthing

Re: my last word about Tolle (and you, his fans)

Post by Inkthing »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:56 pm Ink,

If an adult needs a stranger, by way of a book, to tell him he's not the slave of hs life/thoughts/etc. then that needy person is severely retarded.

And Tolle: he just shovels up shit, labels it 'teaching' or 'wisdom' and those poor retarded souls just eat it up.

As they (you) like.
Did u know u can stop that internal "shut u all up I know everything "monologue ?

what I said is basically metacognition, and not everyone, especially dumb people, are aware of it. it's like people who follow the momentum of life and social events without thinking, they never step out of their minds and keep react to every stimulus, then 10 years later ask themselves how they get into where they are.

you must had a kind and simple life to never have thought you didnt want.
henry quirk

"you must had a kind and simple life"

Post by henry quirk »

nope
Inkthing

Re: The Power of Now - by Eckhart Tolle

Post by Inkthing »

then you know what I'm talking about.
doolhoofd

Post by doolhoofd »

I read that book.
The Power of Now is just a bunch of hokum.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=-1- post_id=399423 time=1552211113 user_id=15229]
Eckhard Tolle, the crowd-pleasing narcissistic philosopher with the biggest ego around, has jumped now on the "now" bandwagon.

He is hard to summarize because he does not say anything ever. He utters flowery statements that make the more intelligent kinds of sentimental women swoon, but he is woefully void of substance. However, I reckon (i.e. the following is not a fact but mere conjecture) he gets a tremendous amount more blowjobs from good-looking women than I do. So there is some merit in his modus operandi.
[/quote]

"merit"
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Tolle, like Chopra and Watts, is not just bad, he's evil. The difference is in how insidious they are, mixing wisdom with lies in ways ordinary people can't distinguish, taking rewards they aren't entitled to for wisdom they didn't disseminate and doing bad things with it, like perpetuating their franchise. Also Oprah for helping them and "Dr." woo-woo-whoever.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

he's evil

cuz he's banal

what's worse: all the souls too timid or damaged or stupid to see it...suckers who pay for the privilege of the straight-jacket
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=470084 time=1599661265 user_id=472]
[b]he's evil[/b]

cuz he's banal

what's worse: all the souls too timid or damaged or stupid to see it...suckers who pay for the privilege of the straight-jacket
[/quote]

I'll grant them the benefit of the doubt. Even if they're really bad at it, at least they're searching for truth.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:21 pm he's evil

cuz he's banal

I'll grant them the benefit of the doubt. Even if they're really bad at it, at least they're searching for truth.
seems to me: they're just huddlin' under shrubs instead of goin' out into the storm and buildin' legit shelter
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=470095 time=1599661993 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=470088 time=1599661573 user_id=15238]
[quote="henry quirk" post_id=470084 time=1599661265 user_id=472]
[b]he's evil[/b]

cuz he's banal

[/quote]

I'll grant them the benefit of the doubt. Even if they're really bad at it, at least [b]they're searching for truth[/b].
[/quote]

seems to me: they're just huddlin' under shrubs instead of goin' out into the storm and buildin' legit shelter
[/quote]

That's a practical problem. Most of them are also busy trying to have a life. Hell, even most academic philosopers never get anywhere for the same reasons. Even their academic work is oriented toward fitting in and making do, not discovery or truth-seeking. And there's there's the problem of how much they have to Unlearn before they can even begin to recognise the truth. Let's the folks be fools. They don't have much choice.

Those who mislead them, on the other hand... There's a reason i'm not against the death penalty.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Let's the folks be fools.

sure

but recognizin'' they're dupes doesn't mean I have to absolve 'em of the *crime of bein' dupes

*I was just followin' orders
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=470114 time=1599664073 user_id=472]
[b]Let's the folks be fools.[/b]

sure

but recognizin'' they're dupes doesn't mean I have to absolve 'em of the *crime of bein' dupes

[/quote]

They were specifically trained to be dupes!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:17 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:07 pm Let's the folks be fools.

sure

you wanna excuse the soldier who rapes and blame only the general who sanctions the rape
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=470137 time=1599666516 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=470120 time=1599664627 user_id=15238]
[quote="henry quirk" post_id=470114 time=1599664073 user_id=472]
[b]Let's the folks be fools.[/b]

sure

[/quote]

[/quote]

you wanna excuse the soldier who rapes and blame only the general who sanctions the rape
[/quote]

Being taught to be a fool doesn't absolve you of the responsibility to not be a fool. But it's certainly a mitigating factor. However, some people don't even have the tools to recognise any of what i've just said as meaningful. One cannot be responsible for what one cannot control.