The Existence of God - Richard Swinburne

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eugene Glus

The Existence of God - Richard Swinburne

Post by Eugene Glus »

Does anyone read Swinburne's "The Existence of God"? What can you say about this book? Is this book worth for reading as a solved problem of God existence book?
Thanks.
-1-

Re: The Existence of God - Richard Swinburne

Post by -1- »

Eugene Glus wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:12 pm Does anyone read Swinburne's "The Existence of God"? What can you say about this book? Is this book worth for reading as a solved problem of God existence book?
Thanks.
I didn;t read it.

Chances are high I won't.

Are you Ms or Mr Swinburne?
Eugene Glus

Post by Eugene Glus »

Richard Swinburne is a male. :roll:

As for me this book is interesting to read, but as for evidences and arguments... It can be checked by someone to say something about it.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Eugene Glus wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:12 pm Does anyone read Swinburne's "The Existence of God"? What can you say about this book? Is this book worth for reading as a solved problem of God existence book?
Thanks.
Yes. It's a good one.

He's a heavy-hitter. It helps to have some background in philosophical terms, but you can get by without. I have a copy on hand (Oxford 2nd Ed.), so if there's anything specific that comes up, I can track with you, if you like.
Eugene Glus

Post by Eugene Glus »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 pm
Thanks.
Yes. It's a good one.

He's a heavy-hitter. It helps to have some background in philosophical terms, but you can get by without. I have a copy on hand (Oxford 2nd Ed.), so if there's anything specific that comes up, I can track with you, if you like.
Thank you for your answering, and for your proposition. Actually, I was thinking to buy or not to buy this book. I was some reviews and watched some yt-videos with R. Swinburne, and it was interesting. Swinburne as I got it from the preview, uses Bayes theorem constantly. It's a good move, but I think that the theorem shouldn't be a panacea to anything... Anyway, I'm going to buy this book... but at the same time I have some doubts about this.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Eugene Glus wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 am
Thank you for your answering, and for your proposition. Actually, I was thinking to buy or not to buy this book. I was some reviews and watched some yt-videos with R. Swinburne, and it was interesting. Swinburne as I got it from the preview, uses Bayes theorem constantly. It's a good move, but I think that the theorem shouldn't be a panacea to anything... Anyway, I'm going to buy this book... but at the same time I have some doubts about this.
Fair enough. Trust you'll enjoy it. And yes, there's certainly more to be said, but Swinburne is a good contributor to the larger discussion.