What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

amitmis

What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by amitmis »

Hi,

I've recently read Wittgenstein's wonderful "Philosophical Investigations" and enjoyed it very much. But (and Wittgenstein would have had a lot to say about this, and, in fact, did!) I want to make sure that I understood *properly* (as opposed to just believing I did). Plus, some of the remarks I didn't understand at all!

So I've been looking for a book, idealy, that disects "Philosophical Investigations" remark by remark from start to finish, and just explains everything remark by remark.

Is there such a book in existance?

And if not - can you recommand the closest book to the concept I'm looking for?

Thank you very much!
Amit.
Impenitent

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by Impenitent »

the tractatus

-Imp
amitmis

Post by amitmis »

hmmm... no. it's not. :?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the PI's were written after he wrote the tractatus...

he was changing his mind

-Imp
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

There are many ways of using the truth to tell lies with. I think imp is demonstrating one of those ways here. What he says about the order in which T and PI were published is true, and the description of PI as W "changing his mind" between T and PI is also true enough.

However, these truths are not offered in isolation, but as part of a justification or explanation for his earlier reply of "the tractatus" to amitmis's question, "What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?" In that context there is an implicit claim that his two truths here somehow support or explain his first response. I believe that implicit claim is false, and I think he knows it is false.

IOW neither;
  1. T is the best book on PI because T was written first; nor
  2. T is the best book on PI because W was changing his mind when he wrote PI
is true and I believe you are smart enough to have known that, imp.

amitmis, welcome to the Phorum and please don't let the intellectual dishonesty of others here put you out of your stride :-)
Last edited by mickthinks on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Instead of bickering about it, try Google. Start here.

https://www.amazon.com/Wittgensteins-Ph ... 1107641756

How are you, macthinks? Haven't seen you in awhile. Welcome back.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

I'm fine thanks. And I've never been away.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

mickthinks wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm I'm fine thanks. And I've never been away.
I guess I have then, or just haunt other posts. Or dementia....
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

mickthinks wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am There are many ways of using the truth to tell lies with. I think imp is demonstrating one of those ways here. What he says about the order in which T and PI were published is true, and the description of PI as W "changing his mind" between T and PI is also true enough.

However, these truths are not offered in isolation, but as part of a justification or explanation for his earlier reply of "the tractatus" to amitmis's question, "What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?" In that context there is an implicit claim that his two truths here somehow support or explain his first response. I believe that implicit claim is false, and I think he knows it is false.

IOW neither;

amitmis, welcome to the Phorum and please don't let the intellectual dishonesty of others here put you out of your stride :-)
I was merely limiting the scope to the man himself... who understood Ludwig better than Ludwig?

-Imp
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:42 pm
mickthinks wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am There are many ways of using the truth to tell lies with. I think imp is demonstrating one of those ways here. What he says about the order in which T and PI were published is true, and the description of PI as W "changing his mind" between T and PI is also true enough.

IOW neither;

I was merely limiting the scope to the man himself... who understood Ludwig better than Ludwig?

-Imp
Ludwig's mom.