What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
amitmis
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:44 am

What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by amitmis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:51 am

Hi,

I've recently read Wittgenstein's wonderful "Philosophical Investigations" and enjoyed it very much. But (and Wittgenstein would have had a lot to say about this, and, in fact, did!) I want to make sure that I understood *properly* (as opposed to just believing I did). Plus, some of the remarks I didn't understand at all!

So I've been looking for a book, idealy, that disects "Philosophical Investigations" remark by remark from start to finish, and just explains everything remark by remark.

Is there such a book in existance?

And if not - can you recommand the closest book to the concept I'm looking for?


Thank you very much!
Amit.

Impenitent
Posts: 2104
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by Impenitent » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:52 pm

the tractatus

-Imp

amitmis
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:44 am

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by amitmis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:15 pm

hmmm... no. it's not. :?

Impenitent
Posts: 2104
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by Impenitent » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 pm

the PI's were written after he wrote the tractatus...

he was changing his mind

-Imp

mickthinks
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:10 am
Location: Augsburg

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by mickthinks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am

There are many ways of using the truth to tell lies with. I think imp is demonstrating one of those ways here. What he says about the order in which T and PI were published is true, and the description of PI as W "changing his mind" between T and PI is also true enough.

However, these truths are not offered in isolation, but as part of a justification or explanation for his earlier reply of "the tractatus" to amitmis's question, "What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?" In that context there is an implicit claim that his two truths here somehow support or explain his first response. I believe that implicit claim is false, and I think he knows it is false.

IOW neither;
  1. T is the best book on PI because T was written first; nor
  2. T is the best book on PI because W was changing his mind when he wrote PI
is true and I believe you are smart enough to have known that, imp.

amitmis, welcome to the Phorum and please don't let the intellectual dishonesty of others here put you out of your stride :-)
Last edited by mickthinks on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by Dalek Prime » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:29 am

Instead of bickering about it, try Google. Start here.

https://www.amazon.com/Wittgensteins-Ph ... 1107641756

How are you, macthinks? Haven't seen you in awhile. Welcome back.

mickthinks
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:10 am
Location: Augsburg

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by mickthinks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm fine thanks. And I've never been away.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by Dalek Prime » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 pm

mickthinks wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm
I'm fine thanks. And I've never been away.
I guess I have then, or just haunt other posts. Or dementia....

Impenitent
Posts: 2104
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by Impenitent » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:42 pm

mickthinks wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am
There are many ways of using the truth to tell lies with. I think imp is demonstrating one of those ways here. What he says about the order in which T and PI were published is true, and the description of PI as W "changing his mind" between T and PI is also true enough.

However, these truths are not offered in isolation, but as part of a justification or explanation for his earlier reply of "the tractatus" to amitmis's question, "What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?" In that context there is an implicit claim that his two truths here somehow support or explain his first response. I believe that implicit claim is false, and I think he knows it is false.

IOW neither;
  1. T is the best book on PI because T was written first; nor
  2. T is the best book on PI because W was changing his mind when he wrote PI
is true and I believe you are smart enough to have known that, imp.

amitmis, welcome to the Phorum and please don't let the intellectual dishonesty of others here put you out of your stride :-)
I was merely limiting the scope to the man himself... who understood Ludwig better than Ludwig?

-Imp

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?

Post by Dalek Prime » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Impenitent wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:42 pm
mickthinks wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am
There are many ways of using the truth to tell lies with. I think imp is demonstrating one of those ways here. What he says about the order in which T and PI were published is true, and the description of PI as W "changing his mind" between T and PI is also true enough.

However, these truths are not offered in isolation, but as part of a justification or explanation for his earlier reply of "the tractatus" to amitmis's question, "What is the best book on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations?" In that context there is an implicit claim that his two truths here somehow support or explain his first response. I believe that implicit claim is false, and I think he knows it is false.

IOW neither;
  1. T is the best book on PI because T was written first; nor
  2. T is the best book on PI because W was changing his mind when he wrote PI
is true and I believe you are smart enough to have known that, imp.

amitmis, welcome to the Phorum and please don't let the intellectual dishonesty of others here put you out of your stride :-)
I was merely limiting the scope to the man himself... who understood Ludwig better than Ludwig?

-Imp
Ludwig's mom.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest