Golgotha Mining Station

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

the golgothan flag

Post by henry quirk »

凸(-_-)凸
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Golgotha Mining Station

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

About as intelligent and though-provoking as your 'arguments'.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You get this thread is me, thinkin' out loud, right?

I didn't generate it to 'argue' or 'defend' but just to world build, to bounce ideas around, mebbe get a little feedback.

You don't like me, I don't like you: that's okay.

But, jeez, I truly didn't know how mean spirited you are.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

How are things like roads, or whatever infrastructure is needed for whatever the transport system will be, constructed since they are for the common good? Would there be schools (for the common good) or is home-schooling the only option? Or something else altogether? You've covered the matter of police already, but what about firefighters? Or are these things only available where there are larger populations?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Common, please see the 'good citizen' thread
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Just did, then I sent you a PM.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re:

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:47 am You get this thread is me, thinkin' out loud, right?

I didn't generate it to 'argue' or 'defend' but just to world build, to bounce ideas around, mebbe get a little feedback.

You don't like me, I don't like you: that's okay.

But, jeez, I truly didn't know how mean spirited you are.
meh.
henry quirk

with 'that' out of the way...

Post by henry quirk »

"How are things like roads, or whatever infrastructure is needed for whatever the transport system will be, constructed since they are for the common good?"

Much of the foundational Golgotha infrastructure was put in place by the Union Central Planners who intially oversaw the place. Since going independent, the place (including all the smaller bodies in proximity) has become a hodge-podge of idiosyncratic styles and engineering techniques. There are frequent (sometimes violent) disagreements on proper 'use' of a particular volume of the interior. Not surprisingly, there's just as much cooperation (motivated by self-preservation) as competition.

#

"Would there be schools (for the common good) or is home-schooling the only option? Or something else altogether?"

Golgothans don't care how you learned to repair an atmosphere scrubber, or how you learned to figure atmospheric pressure for an irregular volume, or how you learned to target a comm laser, or how you learned communicate -- in writing and speech -- exactly what you mean. They just care that you can.

To that end: there is the equivalent of home-schooling, and apprenticing, along with whatever folks pursue on their own when adults.

#

"You've covered the matter of police already, but what about firefighters? Or are these things only available where there are larger populations?"

As I mentioned above: I've rethought certain aspects of things, moving Golgotha from minarchy to anarchy, so constables are off the table. Order then maintained through equal parts of self-direction, self-defense, thinkin' before you act, vigilantism, etc.

As for 'fire' (or explosive decompression): self-preservation over the long haul has taught Golgothans a lot about how to drop everything and go patch that hole...NOW. That guy you hate? Hate him later ('later' bein' sumthin' you won't see if you and that guy you hate don't patch that hole...RIGHT NOW)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Way cool.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

What about a secret vigilante, or a secret good Samaritan?
What if the protagonist has a secret life as one of those?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Well, thing is, nobody really has that kinda time even if they had the interest.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

As for Munson, who I'm pretty sure is the protagonist: there's not an altruistic molecule in his body.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

all of Munson's altruistic molecules must have been in his bowling hand...

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

HA!
henry quirk

busy with stuff...here's some nuts and bolts to play with

Post by henry quirk »

Golgotha: low population by design and preference. Not attractive except to a very specific kind of person. Haulers like Munson, folks who have most contact with non-Golgothans intentionally paint as bleak a picture of Golgotha as possible.

Bit of history: fifty years from now, a lunatic named Blieder discovers the principles for a 'slow' kind of hyperdrive. It would be another fifty years before the newly formed Union (ironic the discovery made by a mad solitary was the catalyst for the formalizing of a global communitarian regime) marshalled the global resources neccessary to build the massive Blieder driven Explorer/Colonizers.

HD 69830 was the destination of one of the four Explorers. It was geared to establish mining operations in the massive debris ring that was dubbed 'Uroboros'. Outposts were established throughout Uroboros including on a chunk of iron-nickel dubbed 'Golgotha'.

The Explorer was designed for easy cannibalization with the resources intended, Union-style, to be used equally by all outposts. But, in typical 'from each according to ability, to each according to need' fashion, the Central Planners decided they had the most need and so confiscated the bulk of the dismantled Blieder ship for their own outpost.

Perhaps these Central Planners were prescient and felt at ease violating Union decree cuz the next Blieder ship, expected ten years after the first, never arrived.

The next two hundred years were a royal bitch for just about everyone in-system except the Planners. Things were especially rough for Golgotha. Low man in the totem pole for any assist from the Union station (because of Golgotha's relative position furthest out).

Golgotha, already lean, became leaner, meaner, independent-minded, seeing less and less reason to be 'Union'.

One day, Golgothans formally stopped being 'Union', by introducing all Planner reps in-station to vac.

There was war. No one actually 'won' but Golgotha remained independent.

#

The Orthodoxy is the Orthodoxy cuz every free will is lobotomized (think 'Borg' [before the introduction of the queen concept]. The Orthodoxy is one mind in billions of bodies. The Orthodoxy is the natural culmination of transhumanist technologies realized.

The Singularity is utterly deterministic, mechanistic, hive-like.

If the Uroboros Union knew what the Sol System Union had become they would be horrified.

Sure as shit: Golgothans would freak in a major way.

#

Golgothan economy inspired by this essay...

http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_bart ... talism.htm

Golgothan notions of 'property' inspired by this essay...

http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_priv ... thesis.htm

Full explanations to follow, as my time gets un-stuffed.