The End of the Human Era?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: The End of the Human Era?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:26 am
lesley_vos wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 amBut, in fact, we won't notice when AI comes. It will exist completely outside the context of our understanding, and it will not have a single reason to tell us what it is. And nothing will change for humans: we will use computers, as we use now but, maybe, more intensively. Social problems are obvious, of course, as robots will replace some of us at work, but there is conceptually no reason to believe that a person and AI generally will notice each other.
This is my impression.

I think corporations are already a kind of AI system that utilises many (but ever decreasing) human components, all of which are interchangeable.

Organisations run based on policies, aims, goals, corporate plans and strategic plans, which are adhered to as if programmed. Also, you may notice that corporations are taking over. Individuals are now starting to notice that while they pay tax they are not actually represented by politicians who instead focus solely on the interests of multinational and major national corporations that often don't pay tax or at least proportionally less so.

The rationale is that a company represents the interests of many people, but increasingly profits are not being shared and workers are being replaced by automation. Really, giant global companies only represent the interests of themselves and, if some people benefit with them, they will make for useful lobbying bargaining chips.

Only corporations have the capacity to send Earth's material and at least some life or DNA to other worlds to continue life's journey when the surface of the Earth is used up. So I don't decry them their power and exploitation, but I do note it.
Actually Grets, corporations became more powerful as a result of abusing the US 14th amendment in court suits, claiming individual rights for the organization, whilst disclaiming, through limited liability, moral responsibility that real individuals are saddled with. This concept was then exported to the rest of the world, leaving us with powerful entities of almost limitless wealth who can get their way.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:07 am Start worrying when the "giant global corporation" boogie-men are actually machines, like many stock-market transactions.
I wonder how one manages a distortion like "boogie men" directly after the words:
So I don't decry them their power and exploitation, but I do note it.
By replacing reading with mindless assumptions.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:44 pm
Greta wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:26 am
lesley_vos wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 amBut, in fact, we won't notice when AI comes. It will exist completely outside the context of our understanding, and it will not have a single reason to tell us what it is. And nothing will change for humans: we will use computers, as we use now but, maybe, more intensively. Social problems are obvious, of course, as robots will replace some of us at work, but there is conceptually no reason to believe that a person and AI generally will notice each other.
This is my impression.

I think corporations are already a kind of AI system that utilises many (but ever decreasing) human components, all of which are interchangeable.

Organisations run based on policies, aims, goals, corporate plans and strategic plans, which are adhered to as if programmed. Also, you may notice that corporations are taking over. Individuals are now starting to notice that while they pay tax they are not actually represented by politicians who instead focus solely on the interests of multinational and major national corporations that often don't pay tax or at least proportionally less so.

The rationale is that a company represents the interests of many people, but increasingly profits are not being shared and workers are being replaced by automation. Really, giant global companies only represent the interests of themselves and, if some people benefit with them, they will make for useful lobbying bargaining chips.

Only corporations have the capacity to send Earth's material and at least some life or DNA to other worlds to continue life's journey when the surface of the Earth is used up. So I don't decry them their power and exploitation, but I do note it.
Actually Grets, corporations became more powerful as a result of abusing the US 14th amendment in court suits, claiming individual rights for the organization, whilst disclaiming, through limited liability, moral responsibility that real individuals are saddled with. This concept was then exported to the rest of the world, leaving us with powerful entities of almost limitless wealth who can get their way.
Since the US has been the dominant player on the world stage for my entire life until recent years, I'm not surprised to find that they shaped the landscape.

Human and biological extinction on Earth are locked in, so biology is necessarily either a phase or a dead end. Most life on the planet will be long gone by just a billion years, with only underground microbes and the like remaining. So the next stage of development, if it occurs, must logically be digitised human minds (wholly or mostly) or sentient AI, which will also either be phases.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

...were we ever in one?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:23 pm ...were we ever in one?
Only with the afornamed detergent, in the wash cycle.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I look forward to the End of the Human Error. In other words - the day humans work out that war is a fucking waste of life liberty and resources that achieves sweet fuck all for the benefit of any.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:01 pm I look forward to the End of the Human Error. In other words - the day humans work out that war is a fucking waste of life liberty and resources that achieves sweet fuck all for the benefit of any.
Actually, most wars are over resources of some nature that benefits the victor. We however sugarcoat our true reasons for it with more tasteful reasoning.