'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I like a spade being a spade
Do you have Yorkshire ancestry, VT. :wink:
'Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose' from Gertrude Stein's 'Sacred Emily'.

A white rose is not a red rose but together they pink.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3943
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by Harbal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:48 pm

marjoram_blues wrote: A white rose is not a red rose but together they pink.
This makes me inclined to search for statistics for the incidence of gayness in the Yorkshire/Lancashire border areas.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Harbal wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote: A white rose is not a red rose but together they pink.
This makes me inclined to search for statistics for the incidence of gayness in the Yorkshire/Lancashire border areas.
Whatever makes you happy and carefree... :)

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3943
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by Harbal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:10 pm

marjoram_blues wrote: Whatever makes you happy and carefree... :)
My interest is only academic, it's a bit late in the day for me to start throwing my arms up in the air and exclaiming "oh my god" as if everything was a cause of amazement.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Harbal wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote: Whatever makes you happy and carefree... :)
My interest is only academic, it's a bit late in the day for me to start throwing my arms up in the air and exclaiming "oh my god" as if everything was a cause of amazement.
No more lies, Harbal, you are a closet poet. I know it. I've read you. So there.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3943
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by Harbal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:32 pm

marjoram_blues wrote: No more lies, Harbal, you are a closet poet. I know it. I've read you. So there.
Yet another expectation I can't live up to, this is the story of my life. It seems that it's my destiny to disappoint. :cry:

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Harbal wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote: No more lies, Harbal, you are a closet poet. I know it. I've read you. So there.
Yet another expectation I can't live up to, this is the story of my life. It seems that it's my destiny to disappoint. :cry:
See what I mean - how romantic is that...

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: 'For days when the world is too much with us'...hah!

Post by marjoram_blues » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Back to the book. The Emergency Poet - ed D. Alma.

In the section: Talking to Grief

Native American Prayer ( Anonymous )

When I am dead
Cry for me a little
Think of me sometimes
But not too much

Think of me now and again
As I was in life
At some moments it's pleasant to recall
But not for long

Leave me in peace
And I shall leave you in peace
And while you live
Let your thoughts be with the living

-----

Now I have to wonder - if it is written by anonymous, and in English - is it really a Native American prayer.
And if it was once spoken, did the native words mean the same as this tidy translation.
'At some moments it's pleasant to recall'.

As much as I appreciate the sentiments, I want to hear the original.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest