Philosophers in films

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

You all must stop this immediately !! When am I ever going to have the time....

Here's my contribution : a 4 min. trailer of a BBC docu-drama aired in November, ' Einstein and Eddington'.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gTcshyI9qw0&NR=1

Gotta love David Tennant as Eddington !!!

( Also, a brilliant Dr Who will be missed )

Re:

Post by 295 »

Arising_uk wrote:The whole Matrix series is an examination of Descartes and Putnams arguments :)
Yes. And the book that Neo hides his computer chips in at the beginning of the first film was none other than
"Simulation and Simulacra" by Jean Baudrillard. And apparently the directors made it compulsory reading for all of the cast members. And bizarrely enough Keanu Reeves seemed to grasp it better than any of the other stars considered?

Waking Life is also a great one. Its just a non stop philosophical dialouge from start to finish. Definitely worth a watch or two.
TheKleszcz

Re: Philosophers in films

Post by TheKleszcz »

Derek Jarman's Wittgenstein

Pinchas Perry's When Nietzsche Wept
Conker

Post by Conker »

Derek Jarman's Wittgenstein is available in its entirety here, I've just found.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1506756422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
questing vole

Post by questing vole »

Treat yourself to Mark Rowlands' book The Philosopher at the end of the Universe - it's all about the nature of reality (The Matrix), good and evil (Star Wars), morality (Aliens) ... Death and the meaning of life (Bladerunner).

One good film I saw recently was The Reader - all about free will.
kaygal

Post by kaygal »

I would definitely recommend Wittgenstein, it's hilarious! You can watch the entire film online at googlevideo. :)
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

kaygal wrote:I would definitely recommend Wittgenstein, it's hilarious! You can watch the entire film online at googlevideo. :)
Agreed. The link is about three posts back in this thread. I first saw it at the British premiere in 1993, with Derek Jarman there to introduce it. He was clutching a lovely brown teddy bear. He said that just as the best film at the Berlin festival is awarded the Golden Bear, the best gay film is awarded the Teddy Bear.

He also explained the black bacgrounds. They lacked the budget to do lots of location shots in Wien, so they hired a studio in Waterloo (London, not Belgium) and draped everything in black so you could not tell where they were.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

waking life is brilliant, first time i watched it i fell asleep watching it and didnt watch it again until recently, and found it funny that i fell asleep watching it. eXistenZ is fantastic philosophically speaking, made me feel much like i think i could in an unsure reality. For a real hard hitting thought provoking emotionally responding film try irreversible, itll mak e you think and feel ethics.