What Book Changed Your Mind?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: What Book Changed Your Mind?

Post by Dalek Prime »

I've listed mine here...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15466

... though they didn't change my mind, but rather gave voice to a philosophical position I never found a voice for within myself, and though I had acted on it previously.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

To start I've read several books on Zen by D. T. Suzuki and others.

I'll list others when I've had time to think about it.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Obvious Leo wrote:What point are you trying to make? Nowhere in the world is personal wealth so idolised as in the US. Are you now suggesting that being rich is dangerous?
I am currently doing a faux finish in a billionaires 2 enormous garages. I have done work for him and his wife in the past. He is a very nice young man and stops to talk to me on his way to work....he owns a huge huge company which recently went 'off grid' (is that how you say it?). Anyway, when we were done talking the other day, as he got into his Bentley he said, "Well, I'm off to work for the man!" LOL

Now that is one thing that money can do...it can transform you 'into the man'. I think that would be a nice change of pace...not that I work for the man that often...but that the 'man' comes to me every month with bills up the ying yang...would be nice to tell him to go shove it once in a while...not the guy I am working for...I like him....I am talking about the general sense of 'the man.' lol

I didn't win the lottery btw :(
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:All of them.
Every book I read adds something I didn't know before or modifies what I did know or challenges what I thought I knew.

But for a profound change the actual functioning of your mind, there is nobody like Edward De Bono.
If you choose to read a book it is usually for a particular reason. Every exchange of thought affects your mind some way. But then again, sometimes we only choose books which are our biased preference and only 'change' our mind in the sense of deepening our attitudes towards certain aspects of life.

The book I read when very young, sensitive and introverted which made me appreciate life from another's perspective was Dale Carnegie's 'How to win friends...' It sounds very cheesy but it made me realise that the world wasn't just about me and my needs. I got over myself enough to look outwards and smile, even when I didn't feel like it.

I read Edward De Bono once - and all I can remember is the term 'lateral thinking'. What parts of his writing made a profound change to the way your mind functioned?
Skip

Post by Skip »

I read Edward De Bono once - and all I can remember is the term 'lateral thinking'. What parts of his writing made a profound change to the way your mind functioned?
The understanding of it. When you've never thought about different aspects of your own mind, it's a revelation. For example, I had never realized how very differently the same person can perceive the same thing, depending on perspective. An accessible and very short book is Six Thinking Hats. (To be honest, I read him so long ago, that's the only title I can remember - it must have made the deepest impression.)
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:
The understanding of it. When you've never thought about different aspects of your own mind, it's a revelation. For example, I had never realized how very differently the same person can perceive the same thing, depending on perspective. An accessible and very short book is Six Thinking Hats. (To be honest, I read him so long ago, that's the only title I can remember - it must have made the deepest impression.)
So, I needn't go look it up - cos I got all the answers, thanks to Philosophy Now !
It's astonishing but I always think that people who pick up a book like that are already wise...weren't you born that way?
Skip

Post by Skip »

Of course I was. You should see my baby pictures with the big bald head. Least popular toddler in the nursery.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:Of course I was. You should see my baby pictures with the big bald head. Least popular toddler in the nursery.
8) Do you think we are born 'popular' ?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote:Of course I was. You should see my baby pictures with the big bald head. Least popular toddler in the nursery.
Try having a big bald head as an adult lol!
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
I though that was a popular look, no?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
I though that was a popular look, no?
For some I suppose. I had no choice in the matter lol. On the other hand, I can get out of bed and immediately look ready for the world.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote: For some I suppose. I had no choice in the matter lol. On the other hand, I can get out of bed and immediately look ready for the world.
Ah OK - understood. Choice makes all the difference. And developing a mode of thought which can empower you. I had a wiki at the 6 thinking hats book. Interesting. Did you ever read a book like that?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Not to my knowledge, no. So much stuff to read, so little time. Too bad really. I love getting lost in fiction, or learning new things from nonfiction. I was such an avid reader in my youth. I think my issue is, if I can't sit down for hours with a book, I won't read at all. I've never been one who reads in small bits, and puts it away for later.

But I digress.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

thedoc wrote:To start I've read several books on Zen by D. T. Suzuki and others.

I'll list others when I've had time to think about it.
You know this listing thing is all very well, and interesting. And it's quite a favourite occupation for some. However, rather than the 'what book changed your mind?' - wouldn't it be an idea for us to describe more qualitatively then quantitatively.
As in answering the other 'W' questions. And the How. But I know that's a difficult ask, especially when you have to drag your memory. Not sure I could do it...

In fact, I've probably already lied to myself and others...because it's a process more than a one-off...and unless you take notes...
OK, never mind...that's my inane chatter over for the day. Carry on.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:Not to my knowledge, no. So much stuff to read, so little time. Too bad really. I love getting lost in fiction, or learning new things from nonfiction. I was such an avid reader in my youth. I think my issue is, if I can't sit down for hours with a book, I won't read at all. I've never been one who reads in small bits, and puts it away for later.

But I digress.
It is really scary how much of what you said applies to me. Apart from - I definitely know that I have read plenty along the lines of 'thinking' but they all merge together and I can't think what, if any, made any Big Change. I used to not be able to put a book down...but now, it's a necessity. Perhaps rather than thinking, ' Too bad... 'I've never been one who...' , there is another way...'I might reconsider what, when and how I read...'
But that all depends on your will and ability to... yeah, change your mind.

I might not go out and buy the 6 thinking hats books, but I might look up a summary. Or better still, ask Skip for a review 8)
Skip, are you up for it ? Do you think it would/could change Dalek's - or anyone's - mind or way of thinking as it did yours ?