What Book Changed Your Mind?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

yiostheoy

Re: What Book Changed Your Mind?

Post by yiostheoy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:For me Bertrand Russell's book "History Of Western Philosophy" was the most useful philosophy book because it surveys the entire field from Thales to Russell himself. For an update after Russell I have found "Essentials Of Philosophy" by James Mannion to be particularly helpful. And for a complete update on modern philosophy Roger Scruton's "Modern Philosophy" helped to modernize for me the various topics which are currently debated in Philosophy.

Mannion also covers Asian philosophies as well as modern self improvement groups including AA and their 12 step program. He also touches on the various female philosophers starting with Mary Wollstonecraft in the 1700's and her modern protegee's Steinem and Friedan, which most authors omit.

These books vaulted Philosophy to the forefront of my own life and rose above even science and religion as macro models for life on Earth.
If you want the heavy dope in the matter of a history of philosophy you really need to consult the 11 volume Copelston's History. Russell is okay, but a bit brief, and not deep enough when you want to really find out what has been going on. Russell can also be a bit too honest in his limitations. For Hegel he simply declares himself incapable of penetrating it. For my money Hegel is an obscurantist twat, but Russell sort of gives up, Cop tries to unpack it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_History ... Copleston)

You can get it via PDF.
http://www.dhspriory.org/kenny/PhilText ... sophy1.pdf
11 Volumes wow!

Thanks for the update.

Apparently this is the Vatican's short course for aspiring Catholic priests.

I am sure I would agree with it, especially on Aquinas.

I feel like Roger Scruton the famous British philosopher got me up to speed fairly well with his book "Modern Philosophy".

I like Bertrand Russell's overview precisely because it is brief and it shows us how we got here, from Thales to the British Empiricists.
Last edited by yiostheoy on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I may dip into that myself. Thank goodness for e readers. I'd be interested to see what Zizek sees in Hegel, though.

Does Russell give up, or just understand limitations?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:I may dip into that myself. Thank goodness for e readers. I'd be interested to see what Zizek sees in Hegel, though.

Neither Russell, not Copelston knew about Zizek sadly.

I think Russell called Hegel the hardest to understand of all philosophers. In my view Russell's 15 pages is all you should, or need to read about Hegel.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Dalek Prime wrote:I may dip into that myself. Thank goodness for e readers. I'd be interested to see what Zizek sees in Hegel, though.

That's a really good question about Russell.

Even in his day and age -- the mid 20th Century -- it would have been dangerous to go full bore atheist.

He hints at his own atheism by calling it philosophical agnosticism.

But he stops short of a confession of his own biases which are all due to WW1.

To get the full story on his life you need to read "To End All Wars" by Hochschild. Hochschild mentions Russell a lot in the dialog on UK conscientious objectors to the 1st world war.

You can tell when you read Russell however that he gives short shrift to the various classic proofs of god. He labels them as affirmations of the consequent.

The proofs are not affirmations of the consequent however. They are simply a dilemma of paradox.

Either you live with the paradox of "no first cause" or else you live with the paradox of "infinite first cause". You cannot have it both ways and you cannot ignore the issue.

So I believe that Russell does NOT understand limitations.

He does also NOT recognize his own biases.

But even so his book "History Of Western Philosophy" is a good summary in 895 pages or less, including the bibliography and index.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Many philosophers and writers couch their less popular beliefs and thoughts. We all self-censor to get along.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

yiostheoy wrote:

That's a really good question about Russell.

Even in his day and age -- the mid 20th Century -- it would have been dangerous to go full bore atheist.

He hints at his own atheism by calling it philosophical agnosticism..
Russell was a declared atheist, and said so quite early on in his career.
Educate yourself:
http://www2.fiu.edu/~sabar/enc3311/Why% ... ussell.pdf
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:Many philosophers and writers couch their less popular beliefs and thoughts. We all self-censor to get along.
Don't be fooled, yiostheoy does not know what he is talking about.
Russell was openly atheistic, and came from a atheistic tradition. John Stewart Mill was a friend of his parents. Britain was well ahead of the game in this respect in the 19thC.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Many philosophers and writers couch their less popular beliefs and thoughts. We all self-censor to get along.
Russell was openly atheistic, and came from a atheistic tradition. John Stewart Mill was a friend of his parents. Britain was well ahead of the game in this respect in the 19thC.
Thanks Hobbes,. Yes, hence he wrote about his teapot, which is the best thing I've ever read on atheism.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Hobbes' Choice, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

yiostheoy wrote:Hobbes' Choice, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
I'm obviously yiostheoy's teapot!! :lol: :lol:

Do I even exist?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Thanks Hobbes,. Yes, hence he wrote about his teapot, which is the best thing I've ever read on atheism.
Yes. Simple and masterful at the same time.
it's legendary.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes, have you read this contemporary of Russell?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._G._Collingwood

I've been told his essay on metaphysics would be of great interest to me.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:Hobbes, have you read this contemporary of Russell?

Mmm "Contemporary", yes though, although Russell was 17 years older, had also the distinction of outliving Collingwood by 27 years!

I've read much of his The Idea of History. when i did my MA, but not seen his philosophical stuff.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Mmm "Contemporary", yes though, although Russell was 17 years older, had also the distinction of outliving Collingwood by 27 years!

I've read much of his The Idea of History. when i did my MA, but not seen his philosophical stuff.
Yes, he was brought to my attention by a friend. His biggest mark I believe, was on history. But his book on metaphysics is what was recommended to me. First time I've heard of him. Did you like what you've read of his?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Yes, he was brought to my attention by a friend. His biggest mark I believe, was on history. But his book on metaphysics is what was recommended to me. First time I've heard of him. Did you like what you've read of his?
I seem to remember his Idea of History was published posthumously after WW2. I found him clear thinking and capable of unpacking accepted dogmatic and unexamined assumptions. Though his language was from the 1940s it was clear and easy to grasp.
I'd give him a try. Have you looked on Abebooks for his stuff?

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... prevpage=2

Oh here is its

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD ... ollingwood