What Book Changed Your Mind?

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: What Book Changed Your Mind?

Post by Dalek Prime »

It sounds interesting, atto. Will it display on Kobo?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dalek Prime wrote:It sounds interesting, atto. Will it display on Kobo?
I dunno bud...does Kobo read standard Kindle format?

It will only cost you a couple of quid to find out!
http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Two-Andrew- ... ndrew+Seas
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

attofishpi wrote:

Not sure. Amazon has a proprietary locked format, I think.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dalek Prime wrote:
attofishpi wrote:

Not sure. Amazon has a proprietary locked format, I think.
There's a website somewhere on the intanets with a copy of my book in PDF format..i think. I was about to provide a synopsis to publishers because they will finally have a gander at non-published sci-fi works, when i found a website that provides my novel in the adobe format. Needless to say, i haven't bothered. But by all means get the PDF if you can..i would be interested to find out how available it is!
Search for Alpha Two by Andrew Seas..or something similar.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote: There's a website somewhere on the intanets with a copy of my book in PDF format..i think. I was about to provide a synopsis to publishers because they will finally have a gander at non-published sci-fi works, when i found a website that provides my novel in the adobe format. Needless to say, i haven't bothered. But by all means get the PDF if you can..i would be interested to find out how available it is!
Strategically it is best not to put the word "TWO" in a title unless it is a sequel. Maybe people have not bought your book because they cannot find "Alpha One".

Searches for PDFs are interrupted by "Piper Alpha" which as a at 'sea' oil platform disaster, which sort of cloggs up the searches.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
attofishpi wrote: There's a website somewhere on the intanets with a copy of my book in PDF format..i think. I was about to provide a synopsis to publishers because they will finally have a gander at non-published sci-fi works, when i found a website that provides my novel in the adobe format. Needless to say, i haven't bothered. But by all means get the PDF if you can..i would be interested to find out how available it is!
Strategically it is best not to put the word "TWO" in a title unless it is a sequel. Maybe people have not bought your book because they cannot find "Alpha One".

Searches for PDFs are interrupted by "Piper Alpha" which as a at 'sea' oil platform disaster, which sort of cloggs up the searches.
Good point Hobbes - i did consider that but hoped once the blurb on the cover was read referring to 'Alpha Two' as an android this would resolve the question. Alpha Two is one of five androids building a lunar space station - maybe i should change the android that is sabotaged to Alpha One to alleviate the issue!
If you do a search in google as +"Alpha Two" +"Andrew Seas" you will find about three links that direct back to the same site apparently providing a free PDF...you have to create an account however. If anyone wants to have a crack - go for it...it just doesn't feel right for me, signing up to a site that obviously got my kindle version and ripped it!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Good point Hobbes - i did consider that but hoped once the blurb on the cover was read referring to 'Alpha Two' as an android this would resolve the question. Alpha Two is one of five androids building a lunar space station - maybe i should change the android that is sabotaged to Alpha One to alleviate the issue!
If you do a search in google as +"Alpha Two" +"Andrew Seas" you will find about three links that direct back to the same site apparently providing a free PDF...you have to create an account however. If anyone wants to have a crack - go for it...it just doesn't feel right for me, signing up to a site that obviously got my kindle version and ripped it!
You should not give up your copyright so easily. I've downloaded a "sample" on my Kindle, and will take a look when I've finished my latest reading.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:You should not give up your copyright so easily. I've downloaded a "sample" on my Kindle, and will take a look when I've finished my latest reading.
Good man. I hope your sample includes Alpha Two plummeting to Earth.
I will always be the copyright owner, i may pursue the site in question, eventually.
PapersOwl

Post by PapersOwl »

My mind was changed after reading Chicken Soup for the Soul
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

PapersOwl wrote:My mind was changed after reading Chicken Soup for the Soul
Sounds dreadful.

I hate and detest that "motivational" bullshit, and the guys that peddle it.
PapersOwl

Post by PapersOwl »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Sounds dreadful.

But why :) This is like a placebo effect, if you believe it - it works. Who cares about how it's happened :)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

PapersOwl wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Sounds dreadful.

But why :) This is like a placebo effect, if you believe it - it works. Who cares about how it's happened :)
Some of us have respect for the truth. ANd I can tell you that placebos do not work on everybody, actually they don't work, they only appear to work.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Well, cognitive therapy works if practised, I suppose. But motivation? It comes and goes. May feel good for awhile, but it always passes, and leaves you staring at the same crap in your life, that momentarily looked better whilst you read it.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:Well, cognitive therapy works if practised, I suppose. But motivation? It comes and goes. May feel good for awhile, but it always passes, and leaves you staring at the same crap in your life, that momentarily looked better whilst you read it.
I find it all a bit... Billy Graham, if you know what I mean.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Well, cognitive therapy works if practised, I suppose. But motivation? It comes and goes. May feel good for awhile, but it always passes, and leaves you staring at the same crap in your life, that momentarily looked better whilst you read it.
I find it all a bit... Billy Graham, if you know what I mean.
It is, yes.