Guns, Germs, And Steel (The Fates of Human Societies)

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bus2bondi

Guns, Germs, And Steel (The Fates of Human Societies)

Post by bus2bondi »

by Jared Diamond

If anyone has read it allready, please fill me in, maybe it's a bomber & shouldn't waste the time:) but so far it looks ok.

here is a short review written on the back that gives a brief summary:

"This is a brilliantly written, passionate, whirlwind tour through 13,000 years of history on all the continents - a short history of everything about everybody. The origins of empires, religion, writing, crops, and guns are all here. By at last providing a convincing explanation for the differing developments of human societies on different continents, the book demolishes the grounds for racist theories of history. Its account of how the modern world was formed is full of lessons for our own future. After reading the first two pages, you won't be able to put it down." --- Paul R. Ehrlich, Bing Professor of Pupulation Studies, Standford University
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

RIPPLES OF BATTLES by Victor Davis Hanson might counter the aforementioned book's folly.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

RIPPLES OF BATTLES by Victor Davis Hanson might counter the aforementioned book's folly.
What folly?
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

thanks RA, i'm only into the first few pages and i like it so far (and the looks of the upcoming chapters), but ya never know, books can often take those unfortunate turns:)! darn, i hope your wrong because was looking forward to it. Could you tell me why you think its folly? anyhow, if i also find it to be a folly, i'll at least have your other recommendation to fall back on. Thanks for your siskel&ebert.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Folly: Guns, Germs, and Steel... bang, ew, and ouch
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

Nope. You've lost me.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

?I'm still lost too. further expansion please
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Rortabend and Bus2Bondi point out that my "folly" :? is unclear. So I rushed downstairs, brewed a double espresso and added it to my French Roast, swilled it, and returned to laptop with brighter jazzed-up and singin' neurons.
The book "Guns, Germs, and Steel" is an excellent book sez me and my opinions. The FOLLY refers to each item in its title guns are a folly, germs are, and steel used in a bad-boy way is a folly...ugh. Read on, MacDuff. Coffee and Espresso shots all around...
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

RA,

I think you've had too much coffee!
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

thanks, i thought you meant that the book itself was folly, lol, now i get it. I'm glad you liked it, because i have a hard time getting through books if they can't hold my attention but i thought this was going to be one of those that might hold it - then i started to wonder after your first post. But now a little more hopeful about it again after the clarification. As for coffee... i once had a triple expresso shot in Boston :shock:. I didn't know what it really was until they gave me this little cup full of gooey tar!:lol: i like strong coffee, but cannot handle it that strong - you must have a high tolerance built up for those. but i'll take a cafe' latte if you have one :) (not from Starbucks) anyhow thanks for the clarification.