Books on Little Known and Overlooked History

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

WanderingLands

Books on Little Known and Overlooked History

Post by WanderingLands »

Right now, I'm reading a book by John Taylor Gatto entitled The Underground History of American Education. It talks about the actual origins of the modern day school system of America and how it is devised to dumb-down and mold the minds of people. You can get it on his website, here.

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

I've read also some PDF "books" online where it examines the Hindu origins of Judeo-Christianity and Islam.

http://www.guardiansofdarkness.com/GoD/jews.pdf
http://www.guardiansofdarkness.com/GoD/muslims.pdf
Ansiktsburk

Re: Books on Little Known and Overlooked History

Post by Ansiktsburk »

I'm European and don't even have English as my native language so I don't really know what is little or much known about American history (I guess that is what you are looking for?). But the Peoples history of the USA that Bob suggested in the original works thread was quite interesting. Definitely left-ish but gave me some eye-openers. Reading some Ayn Rand now, her "philosophical" articles, which also can be considered historical, not-so-left-ish, to get the view from the other side.

Otherwise, if you are interested in European history (where many Americans have their roots) of little known subjects, you could look for English translations of Peter Englund(now chairman of The Swedish Academy, the guy who officially announces the Nobel Price laureate in Litterature...). He's a fantastic author, but worked as an academic historian. He described the lives of ordinary people in old Sweden, and such. I looked at Amazon, and unfortunately I could only find his more general works about the wars. If the book "förflutenhetens landskap(swedish)" have been translated, I highly recommend it.
WanderingLands

Re: Books on Little Known and Overlooked History

Post by WanderingLands »

Ansiktsburk wrote:I'm European and don't even have English as my native language so I don't really know what is little or much known about American history (I guess that is what you are looking for?). But the Peoples history of the USA that Bob suggested in the original works thread was quite interesting. Definitely left-ish but gave me some eye-openers. Reading some Ayn Rand now, her "philosophical" articles, which also can be considered historical, not-so-left-ish, to get the view from the other side.

Otherwise, if you are interested in European history (where many Americans have their roots) of little known subjects, you could look for English translations of Peter Englund(now chairman of The Swedish Academy, the guy who officially announces the Nobel Price laureate in Litterature...). He's a fantastic author, but worked as an academic historian. He described the lives of ordinary people in old Sweden, and such. I looked at Amazon, and unfortunately I could only find his more general works about the wars. If the book "förflutenhetens landskap(swedish)" have been translated, I highly recommend it.
Thank you for the recommendations. I'm a bit familiar with Howard Zinn, the author of the book The People's History of the United States. I have not completely read it (read it in PDF format), but I am familiar with the content and the message that he's trying to get across. I tried to find it in my high school in freshman year, but couldn't find it, and I don't know if I can find it now (it was during when I was fond of Marxism and Left philosophy, which I outgrew).

About that book: I believe that the stuff that Zinn was talking about is already talked about today. For example, the labor movements, slavery, wars/foreign policy, etc. It was probably great at the time, but it's because that Zinn was of the American Liberal establishment that there's a lot of things that have been overlooked, at least for me. For example, he seems to overlook the hidden creation of the Federal Reserve, and how it was created by bankers and not the government. I don't know if he talked about Zionism, but he'd definitely wouldn't look at the Rothschilds and their relation to U.S. History and how they were also part of the creation of the Federal Reserve. He also overlooked inventors such as Nikola Tesla, and he didn't go over the true history of public education, and how it was meant to dumb down the American children.

But then again, I shouldn't expect much from Zinn, since he came from the Liberal establishment. Anyways, I don't think that Bob (if you're talking of Bob Evenson) would be promoting it, as he seems to come across more Libertarian.

I've also heard of Ayn Rand, although I must say that I'm not too thrilled about her views and her background, as she was funded by the Rockefeller family and her brand of Libertarianism (the Austrian school) is overall not my favorite. The reason why is because her brand favors corporations and the rich over the people working for them (I'm not Marxist or "Progressivist/Liberal" by the way, but I am not for the powerful and the corporations).

Regardless, I'll look at them, so thanks.