Steve Jobs' biography

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

spike

Steve Jobs' biography

Post by spike »

Recently I read some of Walter Isaacson's biography on Steve Jobs. One thing I recall is Isaacson's comment on Jobs' binary nature and the intensity it engendered in him.
The Voice of Time

Re: Steve Jobs' biography

Post by The Voice of Time »

I've read it too. Did you have any point to make?
spike

Post by spike »

The Voice of Time wrote:I've read it too. Did you have any point to make?
I'm not sure how to take your comment. It sounds like a challenge and a bit intimidating. But I did bring up a point, about Jobs' binary nature. However, I could develop on it. Maybe later.

But I would like to hear if you have a point.
The Voice of Time

It's just that you were a bit short to actually give something to discuss. For instance: who here knows what you mean by "binary nature"? What is it about the binary nature that differs it from ordinary nature? Do you have any aspect of it you could ask a question about? Something to intrigue the mind, perhaps?

I find Steve Jobs a very interesting character, I think there's a lot of things you could discuss about him, but you didn't give any. Metaphorically speaking: you made a title but forgot to write the book.
spike

Post by spike »

There was an intensity about Steve Jobs. This was both good and bad as his biographer Walter Isaacson explains. Jobs’ intensity was a result of his pronounced binary nature. By way of further making sense of it Isaacson quoted the great German mathematician Johannes Kepler, who declared that “nature loves simplicity and unity”. Isaacson added, “So did Steve Jobs”. In other words, Jobs intensity and binary way was like that of Nature’s, creative because of the embracing of diametrically oppose ideas like simplicity and unity(complexity). Though Jobs had a split personality that clashed and contradicted itself, it was the spark plug of creation in him.
spike

Post by spike »

Prior to reading Jobs' biography I watched two documentaries, one on Ayn Rand and the other on Leo Strauss. I found them diametrically opposed to each other. Rand was suspicious of authority and didn't view it as essential in achieving social cohesion. Strauss, on the other hand, believed that some measure of authority and hierarchy was essential for a cohesive society.

I didn't find any mention of either in the book. Nevertheless, I found both characters there, in the persons of Jobs and one of his teachers. One of Jobs teachers was John McCollum, who was an ex-military member who believed in discipline and respect for authority. Jobs didn’t believe much in discipline or authority. Jobs was independently minded like Ayn Rand. But Job’s teacher was more in line with the thinking of Leo Strauss and became quite angry when Jobs showed a lack of respect for authority and established procedures. Jobs wanted to be his own person and had little respect for conventional wisdom. He embarked on creating a new wisdom for himself and the world.
The Voice of Time

But what does "binary" mean in "binary nature"?
spike

Post by spike »

The Voice of Time wrote:But what does "binary" mean in "binary nature"?
A nature composed of two distinct parts that clash and brings about a create tension. It is an unsettling nature.

In Jobs case the two parts of his nature, or DNA, were so distinct and intense as to cause a a creative tension of the likes not often seen.