Book curriculum

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

stonescar

Book curriculum

Post by stonescar »

Hey, so i'm using my last 5 months in highs school to work on a piolitical philosophy project. I'm going to read 4-5 books, analyze them, and at last write an essay where i explains how my utopia looks like. It also need to have a topic all year.

So my questions to you is if you can help me setting up a good curriculum for 5 months( 2000-3000 pages) .

I can rerad both fiction, and non fiction, but i prefer to start up with non fiction before I will start reading most fiction. I have thought about topics like social contract(start out with rosseau), pacifism( read tolstoy, thoureau) and phsycological existentialism(when nietche wept is a book i was thiking about reading)

And everything should start up sometime, and then go forward and try to end with a book written no later than 1950. If you have any idea about what I should read, let me know, thanks,. and remember that im pretty new into political philosophy.
Impenitent

Re: Book curriculum

Post by Impenitent »

start with the Lord of the Flies and 1984

-Imp
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

"how my utopia looks like"... ?

Philosophy doesn't deal so much with utopia as it deals with problem exposal and problem-solving. It only happens that utopians add philosophy to their ideals. Futurism, which isn't really so much a philosophy as a day-dream, is an example of how utopian ideals doesn't have to involve philosophy at any great extent.

Thomas More and Marx'n'Engels are the classics of utopia coupled with philosophy. The former dreaming of organized uniformity and the later dreaming of organized opportunity.

There are actually a lot more dystopian than utopian novels and movies. Maybe you can read something to find out what you really don't want? :P
rantal

Post by rantal »

Plato's republic, sets out Plato's view of an utopian state, and after reading it you may feel that one may be a philosopher or a king but not both!

H. D. Thoreau An essay on Civil Disobedience. Thoreau walks miraculously on that fine line between individualism and civil duty, self-reliance and compassion, religion and open mindedness and was an influence on Ghandi

If you have the stomach for it, Popper - The Open Society and its enemies.

Now there is another, the name of whom, for the moment, escapes me.

all the best, rantal