My novel:- Alpha Two

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: My novel:- Alpha Two

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

It's not spelt like that and you know it. It's not the same as your colloquial speech way of writing either. Yoo mit az wowl go thuh hol hog then and spow evreetheng fonetiklee. gord luk with that.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:56 pm It's not spelt like that and you know it. It's not the same as your colloquial speech way of writing either. Yoo mit az wowl go thuh hol hog then and spow evreetheng fonetiklee. gord luk with that.
yeah, I don't care, veg
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:30 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:56 pm It's not spelt like that and you know it. It's not the same as your colloquial speech way of writing either. Yoo mit az wowl go thuh hol hog then and spow evreetheng fonetiklee. gord luk with that.
yeah, I don't care, veg
Waw. Vegeez got hiz panteez in a bunch.

Hee nids too chil. :wink:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:07 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:31 am Speech and spelling are two different things.
And I knew someon would dig up 'Merriam Webster' and other American sites :roll:

I've noticed that educated Americans tend to put 's' on the end.
I didn't dig up anything. I googled toward vs toward and took the first three links, read 'em, found they agreed, then posted 'em in-thread.

If you care to, you can search as well and find sites that support your prejudice/preference.

-----

atto, in dialog, the choice of toward or towards ought to be dictated by the character (background); in your narrative bits, pick one or the other and stick with it throughout.
Thanks Henry. I wrote the novel in 'American English' as the US readers were my target audience - sorry Veg!

I guess that means I should change all the 'towards' to 'toward' - I have to admit in agreement with Veg - I'd prefer the use of towards. Mmm what to do!
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:41 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:07 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:31 am Speech and spelling are two different things.
And I knew someon would dig up 'Merriam Webster' and other American sites :roll:

I've noticed that educated Americans tend to put 's' on the end.
I didn't dig up anything. I googled toward vs toward and took the first three links, read 'em, found they agreed, then posted 'em in-thread.

If you care to, you can search as well and find sites that support your prejudice/preference.

-----

atto, in dialog, the choice of toward or towards ought to be dictated by the character (background); in your narrative bits, pick one or the other and stick with it throughout.
Thanks Henry. I wrote the novel in 'American English' as the US readers were my target audience - sorry Veg!

I guess that means I should change all the 'towards' to 'toward' - I have to admit in agreement with Veg - I'd prefer the use of towards. Mmm what to do!
Properly educated Americans say 'towards'. You don't have to 'dumb down' for morons, fish pie. No one is going to get annoyed by 'towards', but plenty will get pissed off by 'toward'. There's no such thing as 'American English'.
henry quirk

"plenty will get pissed off by 'toward'"

Post by henry quirk »

Nah, just persnickety folks with too much goddamned time on their hands.

-----

"Mmm what to do!"

atto, it's your book: do what you think is best.

If it goes anywhere, if a publisher picks it up, you'll negotiate with their style meisters: till then , you do it as your preferences dictate.
attofishpi

Re: "plenty will get pissed off by 'toward'"

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:25 am Nah, just persnickety folks with too much goddamned time on their hands.

-----

"Mmm what to do!"

If it goes anywhere, if a publisher picks it up, you'll negotiate with their style meisters: till then , you do it as your preferences dictate.
Yes, towards it is.

I'm actually thinking of releasing it for free via my website and setting up a review system there. Cyberpunks don't like to pay for anything! - might set up a donation link there though for anyone that enjoyed it and are feeling charitable. :)
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:25 am Nah, just persnickety folks with too much goddamned time on their hands.

-----

"Mmm what to do!"

Yes, towards it is.
I'll read it if you do that :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:54 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:53 am

-----

"Mmm what to do!"

Yes, towards it is.
I'll read it if you do that :)
Happy days! Yes, Amazon are tossers - i'll let you know when I've set it up for download - PDF likely. I'm busy with my paintings atm, but have written about 6000 words for a sequel.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:46 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:45 am 'Dialogue'. 'Dialog' looks ridiculous.
To you.
And me.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

OK, so my cyberpunk (cybperpunk = near future sci-fi - hacking etc..) book is FREE, in two formats - PDF and EPUB.

If anyone has a Kindle, please let me know if either version has ANY issues.

I am still recoding the website so that it views ok on various devices - so - just load it on a PC monitor for now or don't complain!

https://androcies.com/alphatwo.php

Back cover blurb..

The year is 2105. True cyberspace has begun in the form of the neural-net, where humans interface their consciousness to a virtual world. Helix Carone, a key programmer for the company that created the neural-net is now on the run, having sold the companys' source-code on the black-market. He’s hiding out in the LA Fire Zone, an irradiated area now infested with tech gangs and littered with societies outcasts.

Once financially able, Helix plans to get his biometrics altered and return to ’utopian’ society, but then something throws his plans into chaos. Alpha Two, an android built by the same company has escaped from the Lunar One research facility and is being hunted by the International Security Agency.

Helix alone knows who is responsible for the android’s sabotage. In time he will join Alpha Two's mission, eventually discovering just how entwined the saboteur had plotted their future together..

ps. Please do write a review once read..
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Has anyone read or attempted to read Alpha Two!!?

You don't have to write a review on my website, but a few things here would be well considered :D

If you haven't read it I would like to point out, since we are on a philosophy forum that there are some deep philosophical questions that can be considered within the book - pertaining to the android Alpha Two, the Artificial Intelligence - Androcies - and considerations of the nature of reality pertaining to why we may in fact 'evolve' into a simulation.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I haven't taken a gander yet, but I will.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:15 pm
Cheers mate. If you can't get into, don't worry...just be honest about anything that pisses you off with it!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:04 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:15 pm
Cheers mate. If you can't get into, don't worry...just be honest about anything that pisses you off with it!
gimme a little time: too many irons in the fire to commit to a long read now

things will in ease for me in a week or two