Sources of the Self by Charles Taylor

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Local Potato

Sources of the Self by Charles Taylor

Post by Local Potato »

Hi everyone,
is someone reading or has read this book? I used parts of it when I wrote my thesis about the identity of AI.
Now I am reading the whole book and thinking about using for my doctorate literature.
Any opinions or suggestions ?
owl of Minerva

Re: Sources of the Self by Charles Taylor

Post by owl of Minerva »

Have not read this book yet, it sounds interesting, and timely. One approach to the topic could focus on cultural influences on the self. The life-span of a culture and the inevitable demise of, or cease of access to, what held the self to the social contract leaving the self unmoored with no choice but to turn inwards or to a cult. One example of this is Native Americans who having lost their food supply turned to the peyote cult. Some sources could be Oswald Spengler's 'The Decline of the West'. While the self of the East submits to the whole, the self of the West believes in autonomy. If Eastern influence is on the ascendant, with the rise of the East, the Western view could decline. There is what is considered to be the real Self or witnessing consciousness which is thought to be objective, free from cultural baggage, enabling choice. The views and writings of Leo Frobenius or Dr. John W. Perry U. of California whose 'Thinking and Talking about the Self' may also provide some food for thought.
Local Potato

Re: Sources of the Self by Charles Taylor

Post by Local Potato »

Thank you for your reply, especially the example with Native Americans, it help to understand it better with that metaphor.
Will look into your recommendation. Thank you :)