bullshit philosophy at its finest.

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11293
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Arising_uk » Mon May 14, 2018 1:01 am

gaffo wrote:thanks for discussion foghorn - always like the character, i hope your avatar was chosen to reflect your character ...
Nope, was just an accident from a wastebook fad to post one's favourite cartoon character and on a whim I used it as an avatar here as I'd never bothered with one before.
... what i mean is via the Solipsist doubters make the old agrument "well if you are God" then you'd have full control (i.e. be God) - know yourself, control events, etc................

not need for the "fiction" of frailty.


Frailty is not fiction, and never said i had all the answers - including my own powerlessness.

logic remains.

Solipsism is the only and end result of logic. ...
And yet it ignores the logic of language?
with respect fully dissagree.

freewill is over rated, wrong, erronious(sp).

Hubris.
Who's talking about 'freewill'? I'm talking about congruent thoughts and thinks and choices, one choice - amoeba, two choices robot, three choices - thinking thing.

gaffo
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by gaffo » Sun May 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:01 am
gaffo wrote:thanks for discussion foghorn - always like the character, i hope your avatar was chosen to reflect your character ...
Nope, was just an accident from a wastebook fad to post one's favourite cartoon character and on a whim I used it as an avatar here as I'd never bothered with one before.
... what i mean is via the Solipsist doubters make the old agrument "well if you are God" then you'd have full control (i.e. be God) - know yourself, control events, etc................

not need for the "fiction" of frailty.


Frailty is not fiction, and never said i had all the answers - including my own powerlessness.

logic remains.

Solipsism is the only and end result of logic. ...
And yet it ignores the logic of language?
???????? welcome your point (whcih I don't - i not all that smart).

welcome education though!

per avatars. thank for reply pe your choice (which in a way ties in with my name - which is the first part of my last name - but when i signed into to Ars Technica 18 yrs ago "fubbed" he sign up and instead of being "gafford" ended up being "gaffo" instead, and since that time all places i joined i adopted the latter.

...to continue/digress........i do affirm the concept of having an "Avatar" (i..e per "avatar" I think of the thumpnail image - not the "name" here) as one which relate to one's character (physically or pesonality wise).

I name all my pets via this concept - as i do my avatar (BTW i'd like to upload my "Crusader Rabbit" pict - since he, like me are hopeless idealists and since i like that cartoon i relate to/with. how do i do so? - the place i came from "bible-discussion" went under last fall and with it my avatar - ;-(......).


thanks for reply Sir!

hope all is well.

gaffo
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by gaffo » Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 am
gaffo wrote:don't follow - being a limited God - this particular.

clueless about, but value learning/talking with myself to become a Greater God.

if willing ;-/
God or not if you are a solitary being you won't be inventing the kind of language we are using as for starters you couldn't talk to yourself in the first place.

I "talk to myself" (lingusitcally or visually) all time time!

Arising_uk wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 am
i'm talking to myself again aren't i?
No you really aren't,

I hope so. i assume so out of Faith as an atheist - lol.


Arising_uk wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 am
in fact what you've just said implicitly implies that there are others as you'd not be knocking-up a word 'myself' if there was only you.

I do out of sanity's sake.

do think linguistics can prove Solipsism wrong in spite of logical reasoning's end road self evidence of solipsism?

I'd welcome any proof that Solipsism as wrong BTW.

gaffo
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by gaffo » Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 pm

my appologies *to myself?"" for my inablility to reply with proper quotes/replies.

this place make making proper replies hard - esp for a limited god like me.

a dummy.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11293
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Arising_uk » Mon May 21, 2018 12:56 am

gaffo wrote:I "talk to myself" (lingusitcally or visually) all time time!

...

do think linguistics can prove Solipsism wrong in spite of logical reasoning's end road self evidence of solipsism?

I'd welcome any proof that Solipsism as wrong BTW.
As I say, I think the fact that if you are talking to yourself using a language and the inner voice then that is proof that Solipsism is wrong as the language you are using could not be created by a solitary being as its whole purpose is to communicate ones thoughts about the external world to another. If you were the only being there would be no need to do such a thing and I seriously doubt that it could even be accomplished.

gaffo
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by gaffo » Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 am

Arising_uk wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:56 am
gaffo wrote:I "talk to myself" (lingusitcally or visually) all time time!

...

do think linguistics can prove Solipsism wrong in spite of logical reasoning's end road self evidence of solipsism?

I'd welcome any proof that Solipsism as wrong BTW.
As I say, I think the fact that if you are talking to yourself using a language and the inner voice then that is proof that Solipsism is wrong as the language you are using could not be created by a solitary being as its whole purpose is to communicate ones thoughts about the external world to another. If you were the only being there would be no need to do such a thing and I seriously doubt that it could even be accomplished.
I understand your point, though - in this thread or another - i stated and remember "thinking" as a small kid of 3-4 yrs old "visually" - granted i knew language by that time.

not sure you point is valid. but understand it.

it is surely mad for a God to make up not only language one speaks - but other's that god does not - not to mention a whole history, science and all else i know - and with each new (only just "learned" (created a new "Thing" as God) that New Zealand voted to affirm the Balfour Declariation of 1926 (which i invented 20 yrs ago when i first heard of it) n 1947. and thus became in independant Nation.

just sayin.

do not see language as proof of solipsism as false. only that i like play games with myself and am an insane God.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11293
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Arising_uk » Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 pm

gaffo wrote:
do not see language as proof of solipsism as false. only that i like play games with myself and am an insane God.
Insane or not you won't be making up the language that you are using now by yourself. Of course what you could do is split into two entities and talk to yourself but then you'd just be making my point.

Impenitent
Posts: 1961
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Impenitent » Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

the corporeal existence of figments of the imagination with which one communicates is not necessitated by the illusion of communication

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11293
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Arising_uk » Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 pm

Never said it did just say that if you are talking in a language like this then you are not alone.

Impenitent
Posts: 1961
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Impenitent » Tue May 22, 2018 12:21 am

Arising_uk wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 pm
Never said it did just say that if you are talking in a language like this then you are not alone.
you just said it again

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11293
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Arising_uk » Tue May 22, 2018 2:35 am


you just said it again

-Imp
No, I just said that if you are talking in a language then there is an other other than you, you think not?

Impenitent
Posts: 1961
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Impenitent » Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:35 am

you just said it again

-Imp
No, I just said that if you are talking in a language then there is an other other than you, you think not?
I'm simply pointing out that the existence of the "other" other than you (with whom you believe you speak) is not guaranteed simply through your conversations with them...

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11293
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Arising_uk » Wed May 23, 2018 1:08 am

Impenitent wrote:I'm simply pointing out that the existence of the "other" other than you (with whom you believe you speak) is not guaranteed simply through your conversations with them...

-Imp
And I'm simply pointing out that if you can talk to yourself in your head with the inner voice of a language then there is an other about as if there wasn't you couldn't do this.

Impenitent
Posts: 1961
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Impenitent » Wed May 23, 2018 1:13 am

I'm not denying the "other"; I'm simply denying proof of its definite existence outside the thoughts of the speaker

-Imp

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11293
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: bullshit philosophy at its finest.

Post by Arising_uk » Wed May 23, 2018 1:36 am

I have a difference between 'thoughts' and 'thinks', 'thinks' is what you do with a language and if one 'thinks' then there is no denying that an other exists outside of the thoughts of oneself as you can't have such a language if there is just oneself and one's thoughts.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest